Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 9:26pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you say the experience was completely useless? Or would you say that, although Wing Chun is a flawed system, you've learnt a few things?

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 9:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    atomicpoet, are you kidding? It is obvious, he hasn't learnt anything useful, whether it is completely useless is just fucking with wording.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 10:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Would you say the experience was completely useless? Or would you say that, although Wing Chun is a flawed system, you've learnt a few things?
    Yeah, he learned not to use wing chun in a real fight

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 10:09pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    atomicpoet, I'd suggest sticking to your findings in your newbietown thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdang View Post
    What you've been learning and practicing for the past 3 years, is not what you learnt at the seminar. Just because you see someone doing something and them teaching you how to do it, does not necessarily mean you can do it straight away... having said that, some techniques should never be taught or learnt for that matter - trying to grab a punch would probably fall into this category.
    Well, what we do in sanshou was completely different than the wing chun we've been learning. Our Sifu keeps saying that once we got a better grasp of the chun we were learning, we should incorporate it into our sparring. We'd done grabs and throws as part of sanshou, so I thought after the seminar (which partly covered things we had already learned and some new material) I would get a head start by practicing on someone with no fighting experience (and who weighed 40 pounds less than me). I'm not saying the chun doesn't work, it could be completely my fault, but after three years I'm not very good at executing what I learned, so someone is doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    Did you ever fight the guy again?
    Nope. Got into Buddhism instead (part of the reason I went for the chun) and decided such petty **** was below me. (In reality, weighed the pros and cons of fighting someone I'd taken to court. Cons won out.)

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Experience wasn't useless. Met some great people, and the sanshou sparring is still good. But I did learn:
    Quote Originally Posted by RimTickler View Post
    ...not to use wing chun in a real fight

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 12:04am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBriefcase View Post
    Nope. Got into Buddhism instead (part of the reason I went for the chun) and decided such petty **** was below me. (In reality, weighed the pros and cons of fighting someone I'd taken to court. Cons won out.)
    Taoism is the reason I want to get involved in Taijiquan.

Originally, I was told that Wing Chun was like doing Xingyi, Baguazhang, and Taijiquan all at once. Well, after doing research, I've found that's a load of bung.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 6:15am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moral of the story: end of this summer, I'm moving to Springfield, Illinois. Instead of continuing my chunnery, I've decided to enroll in Gracie Barra Springfield.
    Oh, you'll fit in just fine.

Pull up a seat. Two drink minimum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll fit in but your inability to defeat your brother has lost our respect. Gong Sau him and film it please.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdang View Post
    Hi,
    You did sanshou sparring every week? Did you train to grab hands during these sanshou sparring sessions?

After the seminar, did you practice diligently on the timing of grabbing hands etc etc...

I'm not saying that the action of grabbing a punch is not ridiculous (it is), what I am saying is the way you came to the conclusion is not conclusive. You say you were unable to grab your brother's hand, therefore, what you've been learning in the past 3 years is b.s.

What you've been learning and practicing for the past 3 years, is not what you learnt at the seminar. Just because you see someone doing something and them teaching you how to do it, does not necessarily mean you can do it straight away... having said that, some techniques should never be taught or learnt for that matter - trying to grab a punch would probably fall into this category.
    orrly...?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I got in a fight three years ago and decided to learn martial arts to kick that guys ass. Being young and enamored with early Jackie Chan, I thought kung fu was the end-all-be-all. So I joined a local chun school.

A year later, joined Bullshido. Discovered the truth about the chun, but stuck with it. After all, we did weekly sanshou sparring, hard contact with gloves and head gear, so I still thought I was the ****.

A week ago, we had a seminar with the top dude in our system. I learned some pretty slick moves, some "submission holds," joint locks and the like. Now, I'm a 22 year old recent college grad living at home until grad school starts. I have a 14 year old little brother. I wanted to demonstrate some of the sweet moves I learned to him, so I had him punch at me. My attempt to catch his hand and get him in a lock failed miserably. But it worked so well at the demonstration.

"Hold on," I tell him. "Punch a little bit slower and leave your hand out there so I can...." It finally dawned on me. ****.

Moral of the story: end of this summer, I'm moving to Springfield, Illinois. Instead of continuing my chunnery, I've decided to enroll in Gracie Barra Springfield.

tl;dr - it took me three years to experience the fail myself.

1. The fact that it took you 3 years to realize that what you were training didn't work just proves the fact that a college education has almost no direct correlation to actual intelligence level.

2. The fact that you couldn't successfully defend a punch from your 14 year old brother indicates that you are probably not very athletic or mobile to begin with. It is also an embarrassment to older brothers throughout the world who take pride in beating up their siblings.

3. The fact that you tried to catch a punch indicates that you weren't paying attention during your wing chun lessons or that your lessons were totally crap...which leads me back to my first point above.

4. The fact that you "discovered the truth about the chun" from Bullshido indicates that you have never pressure tested your skills to any measurable extent.

5. The fact that I'm replying to your annoying thread indicates that I'm bored at work.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast