Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 10:47am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Percy Longhurst's "Jiu-Jitsu and Other Methods of Self Defense"

[I humbly apologize for not posting this here sooner. If it makes you feel better I got whomped on pretty good at Judo last night. ;) ]

I am proud to announce that, in conjunction with Dr. Milo Thurston and the Linacre School of Defense (www.sirwilliamhope.org), I have republished Jiu-Jitsu and Other Methods of Self Defense by Percy Longhurst.

The PDF download is, as always, free.
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...fense/11487969

Blurb:
    An early promoter of Japanese “Jiu-Jitsu” in the first decade of the 20th Century in England, Percy Longhurst studied under both Yukio Tani and Sadakazu Uyenishi. He was familiar with, and possibly studied Bartitsu under Barton-Wright, and la Canne stick-fighting under Pierre Vigny.

A prolific writer, and accomplished amateur athlete, Longhurst quickly turned his skills to Self Defense and the “new,” mysterious, and glamorous foreign martial art of Jiu-Jitsu.

In 1906 he published the first edition of what was to become a celebrated and frequently reprinted manual: Jiu-Jitsu and Other Methods of Self Defense.

Combining both western wrestling and self-defense methods with Japanese, Longhurst's manual was groundbreaking. Another innovation of this manual is a section specifically intended for ladies. This book is so dense with material, yet so easily understood and well put together, that it was revised and reprinted for decades, at least until the early 1950's, and at least 11 editions.

This is one of the most important of the early western self defense manuals due not only to its heavy emphasis on Jiu-Jitsu but its combination with other western methods. It's sure to please western martial artist and early Jiu-Jitsu researchers alike.
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 11:02am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much appreciated. Downloading now and will have a look!

Rep incoming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 11:44am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 11:07am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    [I humbly apologize for not posting this here sooner. If it makes you feel better I got whomped on pretty good at Judo last night. ;) ]

I am proud to announce that, in conjunction with Dr. Milo Thurston and the Linacre School of Defense (www.sirwilliamhope.org), I have republished Jiu-Jitsu and Other Methods of Self Defense by Percy Longhurst.

The PDF download is, as always, free.
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...fense/11487969

Blurb:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Kirk,

You, Sir, are a Saint in a World full of Sinners (me included).

Many Many Thanks.
    :smile:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 6:09pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I happen to have stumbled across your site a day before you posted this. I'm very grateful for your work in preserving this information & will be thanking you for this with my business soon. Have you considered an ad here on Bullshido?

What new (old) books are in the works? I think the guys at scientificwrestling.com will be interested in this stuff too. Thanks again & good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    I happen to have stumbled across your site a day before you posted this. I'm very grateful for your work in preserving this information & will be thanking you for this with my business soon.
    Glad you like. No rush. I do this as a hobby. I know the economy is in the crapper and it's hitting everybody so, in your own time.

Have you considered an ad here on Bullshido?
    I post most of my repubs here and the mods don't give me any flack as long as I do my best to keep it in the appropriate forum. I figure that's fair.

What new (old) books are in the works? I think the guys at scientificwrestling.com will be interested in this stuff too. Thanks again & good luck.
    I just (as in tonight, minutes ago) finished A.J. Corbeseir's "Principles of Squad Instruction for the Broadsword."

Next free repub I'm starting on is Sandow and "Strangler" Lewis' "Wrestling." Originals are kinda rare. I had to hunt for several years now before I managed to find an original for less than hundreds of dollars.

The PDF will, as always, be free. Invite the good folks at ScientificWrestling, by all means. Happy to share.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:39pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sandow & Strangler? Greatly appreciated. I just ordered a Kindle 2 to throw all my pdfs onto & will be bogged down on this old stuff for a while. Great stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    Sandow & Strangler? Greatly appreciated. I just ordered a Kindle 2 to throw all my pdfs onto & will be bogged down on this old stuff for a while. Great stuff.
    I work slow. I'm sure you can catch up. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk