Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 4:51am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Torn Meniscus experience

I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus after an MRI revealed the results and then had my surgery on 03/02/2010. My doctor assured me that i should be back to full health within 6-8 weeks. After my surgery i did two weeks of therapy.

I was able to walk/limp two days after my surgery and was walking perfectly normal by two weeks. After four weeks i went back to my gym and started doing some light workouts and bag work. My knee feels ok and i dont wear a knee brace but the problem is that its almost been four months and my knee isnt 100% like i expected. I can do most activities but my knee feels weak and there is a dull pain from time to time especially if i go upstairs, try jumping or squatting.

I ran out of health insurance in May so i am not able to go back to the doctor without paying an arm and a leg. I was just wondering if other people in this forum had torn meniscus surgery and how long did it take for them to be back in full form. Currently i am able to spar but i still dont use my surgery leg to kick and i also havent tried running yet in fear that i might reinjure myself.

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 5:59am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a whole heap of knee injury (left knee, lateral ligaments torn and stretched, anterior completely torn and maniscus half way torn, right knee is damged too but undiagnosed. I suspect I already have arthritis in both knees). I did not like the doctors odds for surgery so I never got it. From what I have gathered talking to doctors and people who have had knee surgery its about a 50/50 deal. Either its great or it sucks and there is not much inbetween.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 6:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is your mobility with all those knee injuries are you severely limited in day to day life??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 8:04am

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Working with my first real knee injury myself atm. You have my best wishes and sympathy for a speedy recovery.

I expect weeks to get back into the gym, months to start getting better strength back and the knee never to really be the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabu View Post
    Working with my first real knee injury myself atm. You have my best wishes and sympathy for a speedy recovery.

I expect weeks to get back into the gym, months to start getting better strength back and the knee never to really be the same.
    Wow sorry to hear that i wish you the same. What is your knee injury. My diagnoses was transverse tear of the lateral meniscus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 10:38am

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm..I will probably fail at proper desctiption, so I will use alot of words.

I was performing a walking side kick, or 'cut kick', in class, standing on my left leg and kicking with my right. I was a bit over enthusiastic and my left knee made a loud wet popping noise and I went down.

When I saw my Doc, he diagnosed initially that I had 'torn' my medial meniscus on my left knee. So if I touch my knee, its the right side of my left knee, on the outside of the meniscus. Low fluid build up and no other ligaments or tendons, fascia significantly harmed.

So I am walking on it already, just like above, with discomfort.

Bruise linament, ice and compression, elevation. excersize, mild.

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 4:13pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ringinheat View Post
    How is your mobility with all those knee injuries are you severely limited in day to day life??
    I was on a cane for a year and a half. Technically I qualify for a handycap plaque for my car if I wanted one. I used Helot to fix my knee up as best I could. I have since then used Intu-Flow and Prasara Yoga to get my knee rehabed and working properly again. Overall I now have great mobility. I can do a rock bottom flat foot squat, I can run with no pain and I am pretty much back to normal. Only problem? My knee can and has randomly dislocated on me. I've had a couple nasty falls down stairs when this has happened unexpectedly. Luckly I have gotten very good at putting it back in place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 1:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    13, Here, Rabu - that's really tough stuff.

The advice I've been given is to follow the rehab fastidiously.

Am recovering from meniscus surgery on July 1 (2010) - left medial. will keep sending positive thoughts you guys' ways!

best in recovery!

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let daddy tell you what the good word is, as he was in your position not too long ago.

One, You got the surgery, but didn't do physical therapy. I didn't either.

Two, Just do it on your own. Its squats, single leg squats, leg presses. Don't get crazy with the weight though.

(I didn't do that either)

Just don't worry about it. My kneee slayed me at boot camp, but thats only because of drill. Running, jits, etc doesn't hurt my knee, but a brace wouldn't be a bad idea.

In short, just give it time. Daddy assures your knee will get better.

I actually got my surgery 14-jul, and was back in training a week later. (not preffered)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your replies guys. Just want to give you guys an update. My knee does seem alot better now. I was able to run while training and was able to kick with it just a bit. I dont want to push it too hard still but it is getting better. The only time i really feel it is when i walked upstairs or downstairs other than that it feels almost back to normal. I will keep you guys updated if anything changes. Thanks toad44 for your kind words wish you a quick recovery as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast