Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 7:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you start an armlock standing you have to control your opponent to the mat. If you just jump or fall down to the mat this does not allow a chance for your opponent to submit/tapout and more than likely will cause injury.

Skillful entry is a bit open ended. Essentially you should attempt a throw that lands you in ne waza, yoko tomoenage for example or apply a technique like waki gatame that forces your opponent to the mat. I have seen people do cross collar chokes that force people to the mat, also. The main crux with standing armlocks is for your opponent to have a chance to protect himself with a tapout or a turnout.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 7:59am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    The new rules are if the joint lock is applied standing you have to stay standing. It it is applied on the mat you have to stay on the mat (that one seems weird.)

You have the problems with the videos correct. Less obvious is that in the first two, tori is not clamping the locked arm with his own arm. Like squeezing your knees together for Juji gatame, that is a critical but often overlooked part of waki gatame.
    Boo, you didn't give me a chance to answer the question. BTW I do a reversal from the bottom threatening the waki gatame as an end option against Mune-gatame. I've never seen anybody else use it. You?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 9:33am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Boo, you didn't give me a chance to answer the question. BTW I do a reversal from the bottom threatening the waki gatame as an end option against Mune-gatame. I've never seen anybody else use it. You? "

I know you are not talking to me but for what it is worth my old Judo coach used to use this or something like that.

Also what are some good follow ups after they roll out of waki gatame? I have had a bit off success using a straight arm ude garami (ude gatame?) after they manage to roll.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 9:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually just switch to a kesa gatame if they start to roll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 11:10am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question about the application from scarf hold as shown in the good video. Is there a trick in getting them rolled over, or is it basically a question of timing (like many things), and committing to the technique so that it doesn't stall out part way through?

I love the scarf/modified scarf hold position and am always looking for new techniques to add to my game.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12