Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Health Advice Please

Ok, so I'm very unhealthy. I'm almost 17, 5' 11'', almost 300 lbs, but am very strong. I know I can still make a change for the better and that's why I'm here. I need help making good diet restrictions, exercise recommendations, and vitamin/mineral suggestions. I am always tired, and my lower back hurts. I don't eat too much junk food, and just stopped drinking soda. I work next to a specialty pharmacy that just opened and a farmers market. Anything will be helpful. Thanks

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start by you posting up a log of an average daily food intake and exercise regime.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ALSO you are 17 and still growing and changing.
    If you are doing stuff like heavy farm work all day it is a much different 300lbs then a sitting on your ass eating Hostess and playing XBOX 300lbs

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Go to a Dr and get yourself checked out
    2) Post a log of what your doing (what Snake said)
    3) Do your own research and take everything you hear over the net with a grain of salt

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 8:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldkeir View Post
    Ok, so I'm very unhealthy. I'm almost 17, 5' 11'', almost 300 lbs, but am very strong. I know I can still make a change for the better and that's why I'm here. I need help making good diet restrictions, exercise recommendations, and vitamin/mineral suggestions. I am always tired, and my lower back hurts. I don't eat too much junk food, and just stopped drinking soda. I work next to a specialty pharmacy that just opened and a farmers market. Anything will be helpful. Thanks
    Start eating fresh fruit when you feel "snacky". Too much can give you the shits though, so be aware if you start running out your ass.

I've had good personal results from eating a lot of proteins (see MEAT) and huge amounts of greens. Collards, mustard, chard, the works! Big nutrition in those. Very healthy.

Also, cut back your carbohydrate intake. I've combined the protein, greens thing, with one fat slice of bread at dinner time. (or a handful of cooked rice, ect...) But one good serving of carbs, and only that much a day! It's also good for sopping up the meat juices, so you don't miss any of those nutrients. (the juices from unprocessed meats are actually pretty good for you. Real fuel for your body, not fake additives.)

Basic common sense rules:

"Low fat, low carb, high protein, high fiber". The diet of ancient champions my friend! And easy to follow without making any huge lifestyle changes.

Eat fresh foods, not processed fast food.

No fructose! (processed sugar) Eat glucose! (fresh fruit)

Apples and Celery are negative calorie foods. You burn more calories eating them then you get from them. So they are good snacks. Munch something healthy like this every three hours to keep your metabolism up. (being "hungry" makes your body hold onto fat, since it thinks you are in "starving" and need the extra energy source.)

Stop eating when you are %80 full. That is, satisfied but not bloated feeling.

If you crave chocolate, eat dark chocolate. Less sugar, and it has healthy anti oxidants.

Drink as much cold water as you can stand! Not only does your body burn a few calories maintaining core temperature while that water warms up, but staying properly hydrated will allow you to start pissing out a lot of "water weight".

Cold fruit juice! For some reason, I was drinking a lot of this, and even though it was "from concentrate" with fructose added, I was still losing a lot of weight when doing the other things on this list. It made a good substitute for soda, and a bit of a treat when craving sweets and other junk.

Those are some loose dietary things you can focus on. There's a LOT of good food you can make within those guidelines. So no need to torture yourself with gross ass energy bars or any of that snake oil ****. Just fresh ingredients, and the proper ratios of nutrition. You will feel better for it I promise!

Definitely get checked out by a doctor, and get some exercise advice from them. Star slow, don't kill yourself. This stuff takes time, but you will get stronger and healthier every day.

I'm in a similar situation to you, and I'm thirty! But I'm back on the wagon, and getting fit. If I can do it, I have every confidence that you can too!

Good luck, and train safe young man!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 9:05pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Machette makes some great points and I second all the one's I read....a lot of that stuff I've read in Men's Health as well. I would recommend going to a dietician, you may not think you eat crap food, but chances are you do. Most foods are crap food as they are loaded with extra chemicals to make them last longer on store shelves and such. Most of the time eating at a sit down restaurant is actually much worse than McDonalds and the like, although they are both ****. My sensei's wife is a dietitian and I think she charges only around $50 for an assessment and diet plan....which isn't too bad.

Most the farmers I know are skinny, but strong as ****...so I'm guessing that's not you at 300lbs.

Read labels and whatnot...you really need to watch out for sodium and sugar...most people are so concerned with caloric intake and fat they forget about those two baddies. You are young...you need to learn what is an "injurious pain" and what is "getting into shape pain." There is a difference and you need to be able to differentiate the two...if you can't, you need to ask someone who can help you. Lowe back, knees, joints being sore in a 17 year old often means these portions of your body are too weak to support your weight. At 17, I don't expect you to be savvy in the weight room...lord knows I was 26 before I even knew how much I didn't know about lifting. Make sure you are hitting those minor and support muscle groups...especially core. Again, seek professional help. You are almost in your prime and you should not be feeling the way you do. Hope everything works out bro, best of luck!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only tell you what worked for me. I lost 50 pounds in 8 months which is not as great amount as some but I am 56 years old and was told to lose weight by doctor after being in hospital from high blood pressure. I started out walking 40 minutes a day, and after I could do that easily I did elliptical machine for 40-60 minutes. I did not run as I have herniated disk also. Also I lifted light weights and did push ups and bodyweight squats 3 times a week. I kept log book and every day wrote down how amny minutes I exercised and how many push ups, etc. I see you live near farmers market and that is good as I live in Thaialnd and so there are frest fruits and vegetables everywhere. I gave up red meat and chicken but still ate fish and eggs. I did not suffer terribly from hunger as of course I still ate rice, which you pretty much have to do here, but rice has less calories than bread and potatoes so I still lost weight. I also gave up beer, which I had to do anyway according to doctor, and I cut down a great deal on sugar. One thing to remember, the more you exercise, the more yhou can eat. But if you exercise more and eat less, this is the ideal situation. Always weight yourself in morning right after you wake up, because everyone's weight goes up and down during the day, and never get discouraged if things go slowly. You are lucky to be starting young and it is for sure you will succeed if you keep at it. it is much harder to do when you get older, so start now.