...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Century Arms: any good?

I just got the J&G catalog in the mail, and they are selling Century Arms M16A1 style sporters, with the triangular grip. Apparently it's not totally a replica of the Vietnam-era rifle, since it has a forward assist, but I am really tempted to get this rifle since 1.) I don't own a AR 15 yet, and 2.) I love history and the triangular grip is hard to find nowadays.

But, if Century Arms is a crappy manufacturer, then there's still no point in getting the rifle. Does anyone know anything about Century Arms?

(I wonder if I could get one of those 20 round mags that can really only accept 18 rounds without causing a stoppage.)

EDIT: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4478

There's the link. Damn, that's tempting, what a great price!

If I get that rifle, I want an underbarrel MP3 player that loops Jimmy Webb's Galveston and Clearwater Revival music while I'm firing.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 7/03/2010 10:00am at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 10:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There isn't much on Google, but I did find one post from another forum that I am having trouble understanding, since I have never built a rifle before.

http://www.carolinashootersforum.com...p/t-74571.html

I'd pass on the Century.

There are too many better AR-15s on the market for the price, especially if you build your own. From what I've read, its a mixture of worn surplus Colt M16A2 parts, CMT parts, and a Green Mountain barrel with M16A1 handguards.

If you really want a retro build, I'd just look for a surplus M16A1 upper receiver, buy a new BCM BCG & CH for the upper. Then buy a NoDak Spud M16A1 retro lower, M16A1 pistol grip, & a M16A1 buttstock for the correct build.

If you aren't looking for a retro build, Spike's Tactical M4 is a heck of a deal.
    If I were to go about doing what that poster is suggesting, how much would it cost? I assume I'd need a gunsmith to put everything together for me assuming I got all the parts? How would that particular build be similar or different from the original M16A1?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 11:39am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M'kay. Here's why you don't wanna do that.

Without going into too much detail, I know there was some butt-fuckery with the transition from the M-16 A1 to the A2 model. It had to do with the grain weight of the bullet itself, and some combination of old/new ammo with old/new parts resulted in a minute of angle grouping that a child's pop gun wouldn't envy.

The rail sighting system on those old ones is rather fucked. I personally don't like it.

I know some of your career ambitions. You'd be much better off buying an M-4 A3 if you want to practice.

You can just buy the triangular grip and install that in minutes on a standard M-16 A-4, if you want to.

I don't know anything about Century Arms, but I'd advise you be cautious with any manufacturer that produces "novelty" AR-15s. (Check out Oly Arms, had a kind of bad experience with them that was maybe a little my fault too, since I had the fucking thing custom made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 12:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm really interested in history, which is why the A1 style had caught my interest in the first place.

Bottom line, though, if the Century Arms rifle is neither truly historical, and also potentially a piece of junk, it's still not something I would like to buy.

Thanks again for your input.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that ****, buy a decent m4, or even just a damn ar-15, full stock.

Get triangular hand guards (just look around, i see them all the time)

install/win.

ALso, buy a drop in .22 chamber for your rifle, so you don't break the bank!

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CAI is many things.

They are an importer and manufacturer.

Sometimes they just import rifles. These are obviously fine.

Sometimes they import rifles and make them 922r compliant. This usually means adding their own patented pot metal US made parts and sometimes modifying receivers to accept high capacity magazines. These are usually crap, but if the receivers were not modified by CAI you can usually upgrade the 922r parts and be fine.

A good example of the above is the AK rifles they brought in. The SAR series are fine and you can even get by with the crappy CAI US made parts. The WASR series are horrible because CAI extensively rebuilt them. Keep in mind both rifles are made at the same place in Romania.

Sometimes CAI builds rifles from kits. These usually involve a CAI or Federal Arms reciver, crap grade 922r compliance parts and a very worn out "parts kit." These are nearly always horrible crap and the AR rifle mentioned in the OP falls into this category.

And sometimes CAI contracts builds out. Their Polish tantals are a good example. Built using decent parts kits on a Nodak receiver (very good), high quality G2 compliance parts and assembled by a person rather than a trained monkey. That said, you have to watch out for earlier ones where the Green Mountain manufactured barrels were not spec'd properly and produce keyholes.

So the bottom line is when it comes to CAI you really have to do your homework and find out exactly what kind of involvement they had with it. Needless to say if the rifle has a CAI manufactured receiver you probably want to pass.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    M'kay. Here's why you don't wanna do that.

Without going into too much detail, I know there was some butt-fuckery with the transition from the M-16 A1 to the A2 model. It had to do with the grain weight of the bullet itself, and some combination of old/new ammo with old/new parts resulted in a minute of angle grouping that a child's pop gun wouldn't envy.
    This was twist rate.

Older AR rifles have a 1/12 twist designed for the .55 grain round.

Newer AR rifles have a 1/7 or 1/9 twist designed for the .62 grain round.

Obviously the 1/7 or 1/9 twist will stabilize both the .55 grain and .62 grain round. The 1/12 will NOT properly stabilize the heavier .62 grain round.

But generally I agree with you that most modern shooters will prefer the newer variants.

And instead of wasting time with a budget rifle, I'd save the extra donuts and get a quality rifle you won't have to upgrade from. Daniel Defense is probably the best quality for the best price. Colt is also a quality rifle (obviously) and Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Stag will probably satisfy the needs of most shooters.

They are all in my opinion quality rifles and you really won't save anything by getting anything less.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post

If I were to go about doing what that poster is suggesting, how much would it cost? I assume I'd need a gunsmith to put everything together for me assuming I got all the parts? How would that particular build be similar or different from the original M16A1?
    You'd be better off finding a Colt SP1 on Gunbroker.

Keep in mind you can easily swap upper on an AR rifle. So you can track down an older Colt SP1 (Green label) with triangle handguards. And then you can get an A3 (flat top) upper with a 1/7 or 1/9 twist and swap it out in seconds.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you could do that if you were made of money, but if that were a financial option for Ronin I think he'd have just done it. I imagine he wants to spend less than a SP1 costs right now.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 3:15pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooooooooooo! You could get a 6.8!!!

My brother's selling one, you know. It's pimped out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast