Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 1:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What art should she train in?

I have been trying to talk my wife into some kind of Martial Art training. I think there is many different reasons for her to consider training: Exercise, Self-Defence, Family Togetherness, and on a more personal note, I think it would be cool. The reason I said family togetherness is because I currently take classes and so do all three of our kids. She is the only one in the family that doesn't take classes.

The question for everyone is, "What Martial Art would you suggest for her to train in?"

Dilemma: She was born in Vietnam and had polio as a baby. As a result, her left leg is an inch shorter than the other and has very little muscle. She couldn't sustain her own weight on her left leg alone (not for very long anyway). Most people don't notice until it is pointed out but there is a significant difference between the two. I figured this would leave out anything with a great deal of kicking. I don't know if she could kick with her right leg because of having to balance on her left. Kicking with her left leg would be pointless. I thought this would eliminate Judo also because her balance would be a huge weakness. I was leaning towards BJJ.

Positives: For her size (4'11" 105 lbs.), she is powerful (except for left leg as noted); especially her arms and shoulders. She has never lifted a weight in her life and her arms and shoulders have a natural muscle definition. People often ask her if she lifts or was a gymnast. This kind of sucks for me because she never exercised in her life and I still look like a wad of silly putty. (o.k. slightly exaggerated.)

-note: I don't want to give anyone the impression that she is some kind of mutant or something. She is very attactive and in shape, she just has this one handicap.

-note #2: The school where we go has Muay Thi, Judo, Brazilian JJ, Jun Fan Gung Fu, Combat Submission Wrestling, Fencing, Kali, & Majapahit (Silat and various other South Asia arts). Those aren't the only choices as there are many other schools in the area.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 2/23/2004 1:17pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How bout where you train, what style is it.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See Note #2

I edited after you posted

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 2:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo, best intro art evar! Strong foundation + no getting punched in the face. Which is very intimidating for beginners.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo, yes agreed.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to go with Judo, it can be very simplistic and quick. Meaning she can get a foundation and then move on to bigger things and have a good head about her on the martial arts.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69
  7. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, everybody just pic the art with the most expensive gi!:D

Seriously, you guys don't think the leg problem would hurt in judo more than any other arts? Above all else, I thought Judo was out of the question but maybe my concerns were way off.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo has a ton of exposure because of this I would think it has many more ways to deal with limitations of the practitioner. Take a look at this link I quickly found many like it from Google. Also please don't be offended I know your wife is not disabled in the same way as all these people I was just trying to illustrate that unique training considerations have already been made for Judo.

http://judo-for-the-disabled.freeservers.com/

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 4:46pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very peculiar. I can't understand why everyone is advocating judo for someone with a weak leg and poor balance. While I'm sure there are ways to compensate for her limitations to allow her to train effectively, I would think that the leg would be less of a disadvantage in BJJ. If she enjoys the throws in BJJ, then switch to judo and start figuring out how to compensate.

Is it possible for your wife to try an intro class in all these different martial arts and then just pick what appeals to her? Also, talking to the instructors about the changes your wife would have to make in her techniques would probably be very informative. I've met some instructors would would have been really irritated about having to deal with anyone in the class who was "different", and other instructors who would have welcomed the challenge.

I have a suspicion that the instructor will matter more to your wife's enjoyment than the art itself.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggested Judo over BJJ for exactly the reasons I posted. It's been done before. And If she hates it at least it's cheap. Something that can't be said for BJJ.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast