Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Victim Checking In...

30+ years of practicing many traditional systems.

Okinawan Kobujutsu
    Shotokan
    Shorin Ryu
    Kendo/Kenjutsu
    Iaido/Iaijutsu
    Seven Star Praying Mantis
    White Crane

My approach to training is a true "classical" one from the times these systems were used for fighting and defense. In other words, not a 20th century convention where I practice only one style with the belief that it trumps everything else. In the late 20th century they called this philosophy things like JKD and MMA.

I practice these systems in a true classical manner with primary emphasis on practical application. So this means while we may learn and practice against that classic reverse style punch, when we actually train the techniques become a bit more streamlined and the defense is now against something like boxers front hand punch or cross punch that you will actually run into in a real fight.

So I am the oxymoron of a Classical Mixed Martial Artist.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site.

Do you train defenses against various punches?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG223 View Post

Okinawan Kobujutsu
    Shotokan
    Shorin Ryu
    Kendo/Kenjutsu
    Iaido/Iaijutsu
    White Crane

My approach to training is a true "classical" one from the times these systems were used for fighting and defense. In other words, not a 20th century convention where I practice only one style with the belief that it trumps everything else. In the late 20th century they called this philosophy things like JKD and MMA.

I practice these systems in a true classical manner with primary emphasis on practical application. So this means while we may learn and practice against that classic reverse style punch, when we actually train the techniques become a bit more streamlined and the defense is now against something like boxers front hand punch or cross punch that you will actually run into in a real fight.

while id say the chances of encountring someone who boxes in a streetfight pretty slim, do you get boxers in to help you guys train with that or just mimic how they are thrown?

congrats on your first post, but word to the wise- the kind of defensive tone of it won't go down too well on the rest of this site. the only people who will jump on your ass because you do kung fu are morons who should be ignored.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okinawan Kobujutsu
    Shotokan
    Shorin Ryu
    Kendo/Kenjutsu
    Iaido/Iaijutsu
    White Crane

*runs up kicks in the nutz*

rochambeau bitch

BTW I refuse to say that Iado is a style. More like martial masturbation.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Do you train defenses against various punches?
    Of course. We try and train against any realistic attack.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    while id say the chances of encountring someone who boxes in a streetfight pretty slim, do you get boxers in to help you guys train with that or just mimic how they are thrown?

congrats on your first post, but word to the wise- the kind of defensive tone of it won't go down too well on the rest of this site. the only people who will jump on your ass because you do kung fu are morons who should be ignored.
    I didn't mean boxing strikes only, I meant the kind of punches you run into when out and about in the real world. I think it is just my age showing, way back when if you said "boxing punches" that was pretty revolutionary. And yes, many of the guys we train with are or were actually boxers. As I personally feel many of their training methods are more realistic, we have adopted many of them.

As for "defensive"...I've trained 30 years to be defensive. Seriously though, I was attempting something more along the lines of humorously addressing a prevailing notion that certain "old things" just don't work.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see now i just got a flashback from my alcoholic irish grandad teling me about how his old thing doesnt work.

cannot be unheard.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    *runs up kicks in the nutz*

rochambeau bitch

BTW I refuse to say that Iado is a style. More like martial masturbation.

Which Iaido? I have seen several.

I have seen everything from the Iaido which is nothing more than a post Meiji renovation of classical Iaijutsu where change in emphasis was made from the needs of a classical battlefield samurai to the defensive needs of an individual lone wanderer.

And of course I have seen the Iaido which has become little more than a vehicle for Zen complete with impractical sword methods practiced in an extremely unrealistic manner with all the martial content of a Tea ceremony.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously though, I was attempting something more along the lines of humorously addressing a prevailing notion that certain "old things" just don't work.
    Welcome! Please remember: TMA do work,
    just avoid talking about high kicks being battlefield techniques. Avoid this, and most people here will be alright. And I agree with the muay thai guy from above: anyone who thinks you're a bad martial artist just cos you study CMA and iaido isn't worth your attention.

P.S. Nice username! You seem to be into rifles. If so, once you get the hang of this site, stop by "The Armory" forum. There are plenty of hoplophiles there (including yours truly) and it's a good place for lively discussions about guns.
    Last edited by judoist; 6/25/2010 5:57pm at .

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hola, welcome to the site. And yeah, like Alex said, just learn to ignore the morons, it's summertime and they're out in droves.

I practice these systems in a true classical manner
    So you're saying you practice Karate in your underwear? :p

So this means while we may learn and practice against that classic reverse style punch, when we actually train the techniques become a bit more streamlined and the defense is now against something like boxers front hand punch or cross punch that you will actually run into in a real fight.
    What do you consider to be the difference between a cross and reverse punch? I've always considered them synonyms, just that
    a Karateka's "reverse punch" sometimes looks a bit different because it comes from a different stance/posture & sometimes hand position than a boxer would use.

What was your experience with Mantis? I've always been curious about it!
    Last edited by maofas; 6/25/2010 6:12pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last