Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 9:20pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't like the new rules but I stand corrected.

EDIT: Ah, here we go:
    YouTube- NEW RULES JUDO 2010 - EXAMPLES

My club severely discourages double leg takedowns even before the new rules. Kept doing it anyway, I get occasional Ippons.

To be completely honest, I'm embarrassed to say but I can't tell which is valid and which isn't. So I just stopped grabbing legs altogether.
    Last edited by iopyud; 6/26/2010 9:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 9:23pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Youtube ninja training looks like it is showing how to grab a woman's breast. Is that a sport or a street application, and if so how practical is it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 9:46pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "To be completely honest, I'm embarrassed to say but I can't tell which is valid and which isn't. So I just stopped grabbing legs altogether. "

Its only direct leg attacks that are banned so as long as its in a combination (and not the first technique in the combination) or a counter it is legal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 10:25pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 11:14pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very good question. On one hand competition can water down martial arts where somethings like kicking to the groin aren't practiced in competition. However if you are ever in a real life confrontation, I highly doubt you won't know how to kick in the groin.

I believe that competition is a good thing because it pushes people to refine technique and become better fighters. Competitions like UFC , I believe, are best suited for this, because it practically forces a fighter to be diverse, and as skilled, in all areas.

The problem with competition develops when it becomes to restrictive, for example you can only win by pin or points in freestyle, or only punching in boxing. However this doesn't mean a good boxer can't knock you out, or a good wrestler can't take you to the ground and end up on top for a Ground and Pound.

The worst is when competition becomes so restrictive that they don't allow contact in competition or when it becomes tou lu. This is when people say it's teh d3adly, but have no experience ever applying the technique to ever see if its even valid.

Just my two cents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 3:33am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keyoz View Post
    Savate grappling elements being eliminated because everybody knows grappling is gh4y, but wearing unitards is manly.
    And what do you know about Savates grappling element? Or removing also elbows and knees?

There is this art called Savate-Defense, which still teaches all t3h d34dly. BF-Savate is combat sport, and if we want to use knees or elbows, we can always try MT-fights, or kickboxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 6:19am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    That's bullshit man, what type of training is that supposed to be?

When I started TKD, the first thing I learned was how to punch right. Oh and what type of competition sparring allow the use of ridge hands and back fists? Certainly not WTF (not too sure about ITF though).
    Really? Because it's ITF TKD that's like the "Kyokushin" of TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 7:03am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Really? Because it's ITF TKD that's like the "Kyokushin" of TKD."

One of my friends trained at a ITF school and he said they were not allowed to spar ever under any rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 8:55am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that on the whole, sportification of MA has been pretty beneficial. As stated already it gave the world San Da.

The well worn aliveness argument still stands here, I don't think it needs to be brought up.

Even though we might laugh at TKD they fight and train alive for what seems like the most part. Apparently MaverickZ of BS has killer kicks that could work quite well compared to most horseshit out there.

I think that TKD is really the only example of sportification of an art that leads to it being viewed as more BS than others. That I think might be more due to trying to keep the focus on more traditional specializations of TKD.

I mean most of the basic striking arts that are trained literally across the world, without any influence from each other (San Da, Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Savate and Kyokushin Karate) are pretty much even in open competition with each other, although trying to adapt to a very open ruleset leaves boxing at a slight disadvantage.

Same goes for the grappling arts (The many types of wrestling, BJJ, SAMBO and Judo) are quite even in what they offer the consumer.

By even, I mean that even though one might have a better record over the other in the long run, it is more down to the individual drawn to the art and that one would not be disadvantaged if one was limited to a specific art, say BJJ.

This evenness isn't coincidence either, it happens when very sound techniques are drilled ad naueseum, there are only so many ways to throw someone down.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sportification<-- if this is actually a word, results in athletes that can perform the allowed techniques more efficiently against resistance than those who do not compete in the sport or a similar sport.

over restrictive rules such as most karate, TKD, all touch point sparring and now judo* result in competitors having skills that translate poorly to any situation outside of the sport.

*Judo skills still translate out of the sport but the ever growing list of banned techniques creates weaknesses against those techniques, instead of resistance against them which is arguably preferable.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast