Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 3:19pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sportification of martial arts-crippling or refinement?

CMA being transformed into competitive PJ dancing, because looking good gets you the chicks and bruises donít look good.

Savate grappling elements being eliminated because everybody knows grappling is gh4y, but wearing unitards is manly.

TKD not teaching how to throw a proper punch because itís the kicks that score points, and besides noone really punches to the face- thatís just plain rude.

Judo leg locks being eliminated post war, because they are t3h d34dly.

Those are some of the examples of what happened when martial arts were transformed into sports Ė they lost some of their aspects because those aspects donít work well in their sport sets of rules.

On the other hand competitive sports tend to give better conditioned, more experienced and overall higher level players.

So whatís your take on it? Do you guys think that transforming martial arts into sports is crippling those arts or refining them?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're looking it in too broad of terms.
    It really depends on what the sport it's being turned into is.
    Take, for example, the sportification of CMA you mentioned; on the one hand, it gave us the purely aesthetic tao lu competitions completely lacking in martial values.
    On the other hand, it also gave San Da:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nCgNTByiE
    Which in turn offers us a whole lot more than any TCMA ever did.

The TKD example is better, as it shows the limitations of turning something into a really shitty sport.
    Even that, however, is still better than a martial art that has no sporting application whatsoever.
    This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pia...eature=related
    Is still better than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4Gzh-4Ud8
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 5:12pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we can do without forms competitions in Southern CMA styles, personally. Maybe Two Man sets could still be used, because good choreography is always a fun watch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 5:20pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD not teaching how to throw a proper punch because itís the kicks that score points, and besides noone really punches to the face- thatís just plain rude.
    What kind of school have you trained at where they didn't teach how to punch properly?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 7:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    What kind of school have you trained at where they didn't teach how to punch properly?
    I've seen TKD Black Belts hit pads with wrists so bent you could see the bend even in 14oz boxing gloves. They came from different schools.

Too many TKD schools advocate back-fists and ridge-hands since those are legal in various point sparring competitions. Straight punches and closed fist hooks are discouraged because they are deemed as 'excessive force' at those same competitions. As a result, you learn how to slap somebody in the head, but not how to hit them.

It takes more time to correct that technique than it would have to teach it to somebody just starting out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 7:32pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    I've seen TKD Black Belts hit pads with wrists so bent you could see the bend even in 14oz boxing gloves. They came from different schools.

Too many TKD schools advocate back-fists and ridge-hands since those are legal in various point sparring competitions. Straight punches and closed fist hooks are discouraged because they are deemed as 'excessive force' at those same competitions. As a result, you learn how to slap somebody in the head, but not how to hit them.

It takes more time to correct that technique than it would have to teach it to somebody just starting out.
    That's bullshit man, what type of training is that supposed to be?

When I started TKD, the first thing I learned was how to punch right. Oh and what type of competition sparring allow the use of ridge hands and back fists? Certainly not WTF (not too sure about ITF though).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The habits that sports TKD engrains do not lead to effective punching and more damningly do not lead to effective punch defense. I still have horrible habits with my hands and my last TKD class was 10 years ago. And that was going to more "progressive" schools that were no longer advocating punching from the waist.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Judo leg locks being eliminated post war, because they are t3h d34dly."

If you are going to talk about Judo, then you need to get your facts straight. Leg locks were removed from competitions way before WW2.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 8:40pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo recently have rules that prohibit leg grabs. This means no x-leg takedowns and sprawls.

The art is still effective but it just lost a good amount of techniques IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 9:17pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Judo recently have rules that prohibit leg grabs. This means no x-leg takedowns and sprawls.

The art is still effective but it just lost a good amount of techniques IMHO."

You can still do leg takedowns just have to do something else first so it has not really lost any techniques with this rule change.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast