Thread: Introduction

Style
    Jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction

Hi guys. I am posting this because the website nags me whenever I read a thread.

My name is Doug, I'm 24 and train at Butch Hiles BJJ & MMA in Charleston, WV. I'm in school right now studying computer science, and I spent a few years in the Army Infantry (but did not deploy, my enlistment was spent stateside). I'm married and have an awesome blonde lab mix named Ginger.

I've been training off and on for 9 months or so. It's really hit and miss because of school. Some weeks I've been able to train 6 days, some weeks I've only been able to train 1 or 2. I'm a slow learner so I really lag behind the rest of the gym, but I don't mind. I'd like to fight some day, but obviously not until I can dedicate more time to training.

I'm on Bullshido because some times I have free time and run out of stuff to read on the internet. I think that's about it!

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

Are you splitting your time between the stand up and ground games? Or are you concentrating on one more than the other?

Good God why infantry?!

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, married to an awesome blonde lab!

Welcome to Bullshido. Have fun training and around this site.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am splitting it up between ground and stand up. I normally make at least one jiu jitsu class and one muay thai or MMA class each week.

Why Infantry? lol, I enlisted as an 18x and was a non-select in SFAS, so I defaulted to Infantry and got tossed to 2ID in god-forsaken Fort Lewis, WA. The only good thing that came out of that assignment was meeting my wife :)

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdmc View Post
    I am splitting it up between ground and stand up. I normally make at least one jiu jitsu class and one muay thai or MMA class each week.

Why Infantry? lol, I enlisted as an 18x and was a non-select in SFAS, so I defaulted to Infantry and got tossed to 2ID in god-forsaken Fort Lewis, WA. The only good thing that came out of that assignment was meeting my wife :)
    Were you issued her when you got to Ft. Lewis?

Seriously that is a heart warming story and great to hear.

Good luck with fighting and with marriage.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least it wasn't Ft. Hood!

Welcome to Bullshido. Don't worry about being a slow learner...study MA will become part of your life...not just something you do, so no rush. Does your school have any MA clubs? I'm just saying, take advantage of any opportunities your college gives you because Lord knows they rape you with tuition....you gotta get yours too. Hooah, or whatever the **** you Army guys say!

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, guy!

Whattaya now, now there's three people from our state on this site (I think I saw a guy from Huntington)

Maybe we'll have enough to a Throwdown someday, eh?

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually know a bunch of martial artists from WVA and go there annually for seminars (Jackson's Mill and/or St. Albans)...surprised there aren't more on Bullshido.