Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:05pm

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth Dragon View Post
    Don't think I don't know you and your friends are having a joke at my expense.
    For a second I had the horrible suspicion that you could be not aware of that.

I'm probably one of the older people on these forums and I'm used to young kids trying to jerk me around for a laugh.
    How so? You don't sound at all like the type youngsters like to laugh at.

Even if you're older, if you hang around kids too long you end up losing your maturity and the ability to have sensible conversations with earnest knowledge seekers.
    -ED
    I'm glad you manage to get them Off Your Lawn all the time, so you can debate with the deans.

friendly tip: remove head from ass and chill out. All the teenagers here might withhold their knowledge from you. Haven't you seen the Karate Kid? He won at the end, in case you didn't notice.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Dragon, do me a favor and go wikipedia Bullshido and post back your findings.

I'll wait
    I did, what were you trying to show?

-ED

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post

friendly tip: remove head from ass and chill out. All the teenagers here might withhold their knowledge from you. Haven't you seen the Karate Kid? He won at the end, in case you didn't notice.
    Your attempt to humor me is welcome.

-ME

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The African elephant population has tripled in the last 6 months. Wikipedia proved it, until the illuminati moved in and white washed it

Here's the old article http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...rican_Elephant

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    The African elephant population has tripled in the last 6 months. Wikipedia proved it, until the illuminati moved in and white washed it

Here's the old article http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...rican_Elephant
    There are no Illuminati.
    Please expect a knock on your door within the hour.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

When I Get Back

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did, what were you trying to show?

-ED
    What did you find?

Administrator

Posted On:

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give yourself and the others a back pat for starting said bitchfest by making so many unnecessary ad hominem attacks.
    "Please" is now an ad hominem attack? Hahahahahaaaaa.............

Edit: let me explain ad hominem: rather than talking about Wong Fei Hung, the wiki entry on him, or anything about the OP, your collective decision is to deride me, personally, in the threads, in PMs, and more.
    You mean instead of discussing Judo and Tai Chi, from the original thread, you went on a rant using a picture of Wong Fei Hung?

As much time as I spend trying to have a serious debate,
    Wait what?

If I was here to argue I'd be debating you bullet by bullet. I am just pointing out the picture in Wiki happens to be the same picture all the other sites/books about Fei Hung have, and they all claim it is "supposed" but "questionable". I wanted to know if anything knew why this picture is considered "questionable".
    So, now you are debating? Earlier, you were just pointing things out????

you spend twice the time trying to be smart asses and attacking me as a person.
    This sums up 87% of your post history (=/- .04%).

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone knows "Please" is either a Strawman or an Appeal to Authority

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, thanks for demonstrating that you WERE defending Wikipedia and were thus lying previously.

Now, on to the Nature article. If you were truly a graduate student, you could see the deadly limitations to the article right away. For one thing, the article itself was not peer-reviewed. Have you ever seen a copy of Nature? It has a news feature well, a peer-reviewed study section, and even occasionally runs short fiction in its back of the book section. (I've published fiction in it twice.) The article you don't bother to cite—you simply cite an article about it, so I shudder to think of where you attended graduate school—was in the news section. It's not nearly so rigorous as you seem to think it is.

It's too bad too, as a real study would have pointed out a few things. Namely, the methodological error involved in simply counting up errors—errors in unit of text isn't a good metric since Wikipedia entries are often full of fluff. That reduces the "error rate" by raising the amount of correct trivia in an article.

Nor were errors operationalized. For example, EB was dinged for spelling the Italian town "Crotone" instead of "Crotona." (Incidentally, Crotone is considered correct by many sources.) Is that the same sort of error as claiming, for example, that isometric exercises lead to a 32% increase in strength based on a layperson's misreading of an abstract on thumb abduction?

Further, Wikipedia is not peer-reviewed, it is crowd-reviewed. (Its sources may be peer-reviewed, it may be cites from journalism, it may even be citations from blog entries!) This is important, because some people don't know what they're talking about. For example, you don't seem to recognize that the study you are talking about contends that Wikipedia contains 31% more errors than EB. That's rather different than your claim, Grad School, that Wiki is credible 99.9% of the time.

Nor does the study, which looked only at various articles in the sciences, legitimate for a discussion of Wikipedia's accuracy when it comes to fields with a greater number of competing schools of thought. Here's an interesting article on Wikipedia as history:

http://ecpdata.mdsa.net/sources_seco...ig-highres.pdf

Then there is just the issue of emphasis. Compare, for example, the length and utility of the following two entries.

Nathanael West, the novelist and subject of at least two biographies and a volume of critical work, plus innumerable essays and papers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathanael_West

Also, I'll quote the complete "Discussion" part of the entry, where Wikipedians do the hard work of figuring out how to best write the entries:

's a start. Available biographies contradict each other, I tried to use the most likely information I could find. Calieber 19:57, 24 Sep 2003 (UTC) The introduction isn't exactly correct, since he legally adopted the name in 1926.--Janneman 20:39, 16 May 2006 (UTC)

Wheeoo! They must be tired.

Now compare West's entry to that of X-23, the comic book character. (She's a female clone of Wolverine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-23

So, where would you begin, Grad School, in determining where the "critical omissions" lie in West's entry? Is X-23's entry to be considered some sort of standard length? Is it overlong? Why or why not? Should the number of correct facts in X-23's entry be sufficient to outweigh the short shrift West gets? These aren't just hypothetical questions—what is a "critical omission" is an important part of the Nature report. Have you seen EB's refutation of the study?

corporate.britannica.com/britannica_nature_response.pdf

If EB's refutations of various specific "errors" are all correct, by the way, then EB would end up being far more than 31% more accurate than Wikipedia. Heck, even if half of them are, it would be sufficient to blow Wikipedia entirely out of the water.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

This sums up 87% of your post history (=/- .04%).
    If you actually go and read any post that isn't a response to Sri, you, or Der (apologies to Der who took a different stance...) you'd find that's not true. My first posts are always polite and helpful (even if some were misguided).

:deadhorse
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast