Posted On:
    6/28/2010 7:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Irony Troll Decloaks?

The plot thickens but only a janitor cares at this point.

For anyone who delights in small furry animals.

YouTube- Tickling Slow Loris
    Thank you.
    A monkey in a hot spring would have worked as well.
    Another acceptable variety: puppies in cute hats.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth Dragon View Post
    His work was just the FIRST source I mentioned. There is a whole list there. Trust me I went and checked them all.
    Actually, it was the only source you mentioned.

You keep citing references, resources. How is what is written on the page inaccurate? Is it misleading? If so, how?
    It is misleading for the reasons explicitly described on the page itself—insufficient inline citations. You see Grad School, when actually examining a bit of research, whether secondary or primary, pretty much the first thing someone does is check whether claims that need citation are cited. The entry you hold up as a paragon of accuracy fails on that very first step. The second step is thus not required.

Edit: You challenge Wikipedia as not being peer reviewed...what the **** do the think Wikipedia and by that extension, Bullshido are?
    Neither Wikipedia nor Bullshido are peer-reviewed.

Peer reviewed. You do realize scientists and engineers and physicists community review articles on QE and quantum mechanics right? You're not just projecting your own mentality: that internet forum nerds battle over the content on these sites?
    I don't doubt that scientists and engineers and physicists participate in Wikipedia, but self-selected participants editing and re-editing their own work, with no independent confirmation of their own bona fides doesn't rise to the level of peer-review. Wikipedia itself doesn't claim to be peer-reviewed. That expansive, silly claim comes either from your misunderstanding of what peer review is, or from the fact that you've dug a hole and in time-honored Internet tradition the only strategy your ego allows is to dig deeper.

You say you've been online for a long time. Me too. I've seen your act since 1990 from any number of people (mostly software engineers, occasionally libertarians who think memorizing Austrian school slogans mean that they're economists) and it never gets old. It never gets very entertaining either, but generally after a couple of decades most people grow up sufficiently to figure that they don't know everything and cannot bullshit people who know better. Funny that you seem to be immune to this process.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Neither Wikipedia nor Bullshido are peer-reviewed.

snip

It never gets very entertaining either, but generally after a couple of decades most people grow up sufficiently to figure that they don't know everything and cannot bullshit people who know better. Funny that you seem to be immune to this process.
    Your definition of peer review belongs in the 1990s. If you don't realize how Wiki and Bullshido are peer review periodicals, you're unskilled in the art of knowledge management. Wiki and Bullshido allow peer review using Web 2.0 technologies. Good information survives, bad information is beaten on to a pulp by the community. This is absolutely no different than how it works in academia. It may just feels strange to you. peer review

•  –noun evaluation of a person's work or performance by a group ofpeople in the same occupation, profession, or industry.

Apparently my posts are ALL highly entertaining because all the threads I started/hijacked/fed were given praise like (paraphrasing):

• "best thread ever"
    • "laughed so hard I shat"
    • "we could solve the world's energy problems with the energy in this thread...".
    • "the comedy value of this thread is overwhelming"

Alas I was barely getting started and now have to go back to where I came from. :XXsunsmil

YouTube- Cartman Screw you guys! I'm going home

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 10:28am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who the hell are you, earth dragon?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is the picture Wong Fei Hung or not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 10:33am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm asking who are you? and why the hell are you modifying your profile, june 28 11:33 pm phil. standard time?

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth Dragon View Post
    Your definition of peer review belongs in the 1990s. If you don't realize how Wiki and Bullshido are peer review periodicals, you're unskilled in the art of knowledge management. Wiki and Bullshido allow peer review using Web 2.0 technologies. Good information survives, bad information is beaten on to a pulp by the community. This is absolutely no different than how it works in academia. It may just feels strange to you. peer review

•  –noun evaluation of a person's work or performance by a group ofpeople in the same occupation, profession, or industry.

You may well be correct in that a number of people who don't know what the hell they are talking about (like yourself and other third-tier IT professionals with bad cases of physics envy) are abusing the term "peer review" to elevate their community websites or other nonsense. However, the term "peer review" is a term of art whose definition remains as I've been using it as not as the suckers who write for Fast Company do. Neither Wikipedia nor Bullshido even match the dictionary definition you offer, since the work of both are evaluated by anyone who shows up — that <i>may</i> include actual peers, but needn't. Nor is there any mechanism other than extremely imperfect reputational ones to make sure that the opinions of peers are privileged over the opinions of some guy with a lot of spare time on his hands.

It's actually been years since I've seen someone use the term "Web 2.0" unironically. How ARE things back in the year 2002?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    It's actually been years since I've seen someone use the term "Web 2.0" unironically. How ARE things back in the year 2002?
    1991: http://nintendo8.com/game/321/tecmo_super_bowl/

ED

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My name is Inigo Montoya.
    Six Fingered Man, you have sullied the name of Tecmo.
    Prepare to die.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So was Wong Fei Hung in Tecmo Super Bowl or not?

Furthermore, was the toasty guy from Mortal Kombat really Tang Fong?

Wiki told me so.
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast