Thread: Wong Fei Hung vs Wikipedia
6/25/2010 12:30pm, #1
Wong Fei Hung vs Wikipedia
I have yet to find out why this is "alleged". But why there are no pictures of someone who was quite popular in a time when photography was relatively common...why are the only supposed photos of him so suspect?
There are very grainy videos of Mok Gwai Lan in her 80s doing what looks like tiger/crane and chain whip demonstration for a TV show...really old stuff. Boy I wish someone had gotten Fei Hung on video...
YouTube- Mok Gwai Lan
6/25/2010 12:43pm, #2
6/25/2010 12:46pm, #3
6/25/2010 12:51pm, #4
2. Wikipedia doesn't critically evaluate it's sources. One can easily cite an Ashida Kim equivalent on any topic.
3. If you want to cite sources, do some reading, use proper academic sources, cite that.
Wiki <> credible source of info.
6/25/2010 12:59pm, #5
6/25/2010 1:03pm, #6
Please note, I'm being nice.
1. Wikipedia does not critically evaluate it's sources.
2. That means, any jackass can write a book or article, and Wikipedia will accept it as a source.
3. This further means that Wikipedia is not a solid source of information on which a poster can rely to deliver solid, indesputable backup to his stance.
4. If you want to back your point, get off your ass, read a book, make sure the author is someone who knows what he is talking about (background in history, ma, or known scholar, etc.)
Otherwise you're just arguing a moot point.
6/25/2010 1:07pm, #7
6/25/2010 1:08pm, #8
6/25/2010 1:11pm, #9
your point is TOTALLY irrelevant to this discussion. please drop it, it does NOT matter. if you want to talk about how ready to discuss lineage all legit CMA instructors are then, we have something to talk about.
so... did your sifu (certainly a legit sifu) trace back your lineage to at least WFH for you? IIRC it's part of the first belt test in your system to be able to recite the whole lineage."Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
"When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
"Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
"Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
6/25/2010 1:14pm, #10