Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:00am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Same argument different month: Gi vs no gi.

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Of course you should train the way you fight; it does not logically follow that you should not train in a way you donít fight (thatís akin to a logical inverse error). Iím sure youíll agree with me, because Iím sure you often do train in ways that are unlike the way you fight, e.g. during static drills, compliant or semi-compliant (partial resistance) drills, padwork, and so on and so forth. (We probably all agree that you absolutely shouldnít always train like you fight: Rather less than 100% of your training time should be full contact sparring!)

We can dismiss a training regimen that excludes training-like-you-fight, but when it comes to dismissing individual parts of a regimen that includes training-how-you-fight, the relevant question is, does this training method impart anything valuable to the end product?

Omega and Uncle Skippy, who are both better grapplers than I am (and probably better than you), argue that gi training does offer benefits in forcing you to be more technical in certain areas. I have nothing to add to that, except to point out as above that this does not contradict the generally agreed-upon opinion that you should train the way you fight.

1. Appeal to authority much?

2. There are just as many grapplers better than I and others who also consider Gi training to be silly for anyone not training to compete in a gi.

3.I am arguing that Gi training makes you more technical in aspects of the game that become less improtan without the Gi.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the top No-Gi grapplers also grapple with the Gi and recommend doing so. That includes Marcelo Garcia, Ruben Charles, and a bunch of others. This is not so much an "Appeal to Authority" as it is the considered advice of guys who make their living grappling.
    Before I started doing Gi grappling I would have said that doing Gi wouldn't help my No-gi game much and would be a waste of time. I have since revised my opinion. Grappling in the Gi has improved many aspects of my No-Gi game. Primarily my submission defense and my mobility on top, but with secondary improvements of my escapes.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gi or no Gi aside which club has the better grapplers?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sigh

Guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gi and No gi are different. If you do both you will be a better all around grappler. One is not better than the other and it's almost impossible to prove one than the other because of the rule set and dynamics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:44am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    *Sigh

Guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gi and No gi are different. If you do both you will be a better all around grappler. One is not better than the other and it's almost impossible to prove one than the other because of the rule set and dynamics.

I'll concur.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 12:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I meant which of the two clubs that OP is choosing from has the better quality instruction. removing the gi or no gi issue.

reading the other posts that is what I would base my oppinion on.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 1:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude totally do gi no-gi is like being naked and is totally for fags. Besides gis are like kimonos which is what Japanese WOMEN wear! So your either gay or a cross dresser... so like don't grapple at all. its totes ghey!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    Depends, do you often get into fights during slumber parties?

No?

MAybe don't wear the PJ's.

(I think I'm gonna get flamed for that bit, but I stand by it. Train how you fight.)
    I've always loved the term "train how you fight". I always get a kick out of it. You hear it a lot with the reality based types and even the Grappling/MMA crowd when detailing the Gi vs No-Gi debate. Here's something interesting...

Most people, including professional fighters DON'T train how they fight!

Why? Because they wouldn't have a long career. Let me clarify. Training how you fight in regards to an MMA match would be essentially to have a MMA match when training. What I mean by this is full MMA rules, no protection that most people "train" with, a 100% MMA match as training. Now tell me...how long do you think a MMA career would last.

For the self defense types, the best way to "train how you fight" would be to go out and actually get into those types of situations and see if your stuff works. Hope you aren't training gun disarms that night...

The point you ask? Simple. The concept of "training" is to "train"; meaning you are in a controlled environment that allows you to practice with some sense of safety. Without it, you wouldn't be able to train for long, let alone actually being able to test your skills in an actual fight.

Now, as for the Gi and No-Gi, look at it another way. Just because in a "real" fight you won't be hitting a hanging bag of sand doesn't mean you can't use it to fine tune specific striking concepts, techniques, etc. And just because you won't be wearing a Gi in your MMA/No-Gi matches doesn't mean you can't use it to fine tune specific grappling concepts, techniques, etc. The reverse can be true as well for using No-Gi training to improve your Gi training.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no gi= lots of sweat.
    sweat= faaaaar more difficult to land subs and certain judo throws. so after about 30mins even drilling gets more difficult no gi.

the basic **** is so much easier to learn in a gi.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Um....no.
    Retry:

More dynamic guard play to be developed. (I was getting home from a bender)
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast