YouTube- Full Armor

If I encounter more, I will post them!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 9:11am

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as we're posting other WMA armored combat video, here's one originally posted elsewhere as an example of good armored combat:

YouTube- Harnischfechten-Armoured Free Play

My question is: Why does the guy on the left go through the hassle of backing up, changing his grip, and making a big overhand swing/smash that appears toe be seen from a mile away and easily blocked? Why not just make a quick thrust to the guy's face, or a feint to the face followed by something else?

And why does one of them have his visor up? and neither of them are wearing gauntlets?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 12:25pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainzorikh View Post
    As long as we're posting other WMA armored combat video, here's one originally posted elsewhere as an example of good armored combat:

YouTube- Harnischfechten-Armoured Free Play

My question is: Why does the guy on the left go through the hassle of backing up, changing his grip, and making a big overhand swing/smash that appears toe be seen from a mile away and easily blocked? Why not just make a quick thrust to the guy's face, or a feint to the face followed by something else?

And why does one of them have his visor up? and neither of them are wearing gauntlets?
    Because its an Iron Door video.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 1:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've wondered about the mordschlag myself (the move in and of itself seems awkward to do and easy to counter), might just be a bad decision on his part. Maybe he was trying to hook the opponent's weapon downward to disarm, but I can only guess.

The visor and gauntlet thing is a historical thing to do; you see it in some historical manuals. No visor means better vision and breathing, no gauntlets means better manual dexterity for grappling at the cost of being less protected. Personal choice i guess, but I for one would prefer keeping the gauntlets on...

The idea behind this kind of thing is more akin to a scientific experiment; they try out various things such as not using gauntlets or raising the visor and see how things turn out. Then they'll try it with gauntlets and visors then see what happens. As you've said before, this is but one video--an isolated incident. But unfortunately as far as ARMA goes that's all they've posted when it comes to armored freeplay (booo!)

ARMA research has not covered armored combat nearly to the extent of unarmored, unfortunately, but hopefully in time more people will be able to acquire armor and try these out with the "conservative orthodox" ARMA approach.

You can read the ARMA forum post about it here:
    http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtop...hlight=armored

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 1:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spungdeeper View Post
    Because its an Iron Door video.
    What's that supposed to mean??

In any case, I found a few more videos:

A bit of freeplay; again, I don't know what their rules are and can't tell what exactly they're trying to do:
    YouTube- harnisch freikampf

A funny technique demo:
    YouTube- gladiatoria knaufwurf

Not sure if it's really a good idea to take apart your sword in the middle of combat...maybe a rock would do better as a distraction!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12