Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Swimming plus boxing is decent enough for conditioning but I find it too skill based personally.

After being taught by a swimmer how to do the strokes properly I wasn't getting nearly as good a workout because it has alot to do with technical efficiency. you obviously can get great benefits from swimming but if you follow the ideas on rossboxing.com as I posted above you will get a more intense workout in less time than is needed to get a workout from swimming.

I've just bought one of Ross Enemait's books due to a Sherdog review.. If by some oddity there isnt one on here I may take the trouble to review it.
    Yeah, I checked out some of the Ross stuff, and although I found it pretty hard to navigate in, I found some really good stuff. Specifically the stuff on anaerobics training and weight lifting. So basically, my protortpe schedule looks like this:

Mondays:
    Boxing, rounding off with plyometrics at the end (still looking for more exercises for my circuit)

Tuesdays:
    Boxing, rounding of with intervall training at the end (Burpees, squats, shadow boxing, Divebombers, etc. Going for Ross' principle about a set lasting as long as a round)

Wednsdays:
    Weightlifting:
    Going after Ross' sample circuit:
    1) Dumbbell Snatches � 3 x 5 reps per arm
    2) Bench Press � 3 x 6 reps
    3) Plyometric Pushups � 3 x 10
    4) Power Cleans � 3 x 4 reps
    5) Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg
    6) Weighted Pull-ups � 4 x 6
    7) Dumbbell Swings � 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)

Thursdays:
    Boxing, rounding off with rope skipping and/or more skill/technique oriented stuff such as shadow boxing, dodging, etc

Fridays:
    Calm swimming (just going for x amounts of laps)

Saturdays:
    Boxing, rounding off with some light plyometrics.

Sundays:
    Rest

The reason I'm going with more lax workout sessions during fridays and saturdays is because I know I'll be drinking or staying up late or whatever it is that mangy kids my age are supposed to do. So I don't see any point in heavy exercising when I know I'm not going to be able to perform it well anyway. And to be honest, I find calm swimming as a relaxing exercise that still manages to be a pretty good allround exercise.

I'm thinking that if I feel I need, or want to, intensify my work out schedule I'll replace friday swimming with weightlifting and perform a more intense plyometric session on saturdays rather than a light one.

Was originally thinking of putting a heavier intervall training at thursdays too. But considering I haven't done any major weightlifting for years I don't want to strain my self.

Does this seems like a reasonable schedule? I guess I have to specify my goal as well: I don't intend to become the next Ali or next Tyson. Rather, I'm just out after improving my boxing, my strenght/general fitness, and also to get routine in may day to day life. Is it a waste of time to do weightlifting only once per week?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming is always a good way to exercise, whether you want to go hard or just get in some relaxed laps..its all good for you cardio wise and loosens you up.I always make sure to vary up my strokes too..do 10 laps front crawl, 10 breast stroke, 10 back stroke etc...it breaks up the monotony and some are easier than others when it comes to breathing.
    I would suggest doing a bit of neck strengthening too.Don't do anything dangerous, but incorporate it into your heavy bag work . Don't let the heavy bag hit you head first when its swinging around too fast and hard, but push it around with your head a bit,let the weight of the bag lean on you for a few seconds or a minute or so, and dig some lower body hooks into it while you are at it. It really helps over time...
    People debate over whether you should weight train at all while training for boxing..personally, I think if you are going to do some light weight training to tone and firm up while boxing training and want to benefit from it you should do 2 times a week for a minimum 30-45 minutes.Your time in the gym boxing will do the rest..
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by OZZ; 7/05/2010 5:01pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar View Post
    Yeah, I checked out some of the Ross stuff, and although I found it pretty hard to navigate in, I found some really good stuff. Specifically the stuff on anaerobics training and weight lifting. So basically, my protortpe schedule looks like this:

Mondays:
    Boxing, rounding off with plyometrics at the end (still looking for more exercises for my circuit)

Tuesdays:
    Boxing, rounding of with intervall training at the end (Burpees, squats, shadow boxing, Divebombers, etc. Going for Ross' principle about a set lasting as long as a round)

Wednsdays:
    Weightlifting:
    Going after Ross' sample circuit:
    1) Dumbbell Snatches � 3 x 5 reps per arm
    2) Bench Press � 3 x 6 reps
    3) Plyometric Pushups � 3 x 10
    4) Power Cleans � 3 x 4 reps
    5) Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg
    6) Weighted Pull-ups � 4 x 6
    7) Dumbbell Swings � 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)

Thursdays:
    Boxing, rounding off with rope skipping and/or more skill/technique oriented stuff such as shadow boxing, dodging, etc

Fridays:
    Calm swimming (just going for x amounts of laps)

Saturdays:
    Boxing, rounding off with some light plyometrics.

Sundays:
    Rest

The reason I'm going with more lax workout sessions during fridays and saturdays is because I know I'll be drinking or staying up late or whatever it is that mangy kids my age are supposed to do. So I don't see any point in heavy exercising when I know I'm not going to be able to perform it well anyway. And to be honest, I find calm swimming as a relaxing exercise that still manages to be a pretty good allround exercise.

I'm thinking that if I feel I need, or want to, intensify my work out schedule I'll replace friday swimming with weightlifting and perform a more intense plyometric session on saturdays rather than a light one.

Was originally thinking of putting a heavier intervall training at thursdays too. But considering I haven't done any major weightlifting for years I don't want to strain my self.

Does this seems like a reasonable schedule? I guess I have to specify my goal as well: I don't intend to become the next Ali or next Tyson. Rather, I'm just out after improving my boxing, my strenght/general fitness, and also to get routine in may day to day life. Is it a waste of time to do weightlifting only once per week?
    crazy idea but...you could.....stop drinking and wasting your money and time, as well as setting back all the hard work you put in all week prior to that just so you can enjoy getting drunk for a few hours then feel like **** the next day?

Just a thought lol. When i was 18-22 i was in AMAZING shape, i would work out as hard as possible as much as possible. I still had time to go enjoy hanging out with my friends and what not, and i had ALOT more money then them, because they'd go blow it all on beer and ****. I also looked better and could perform better at fighting and in the gym because my body wasn't loaded down with all that crap all the time. It's your body, do what you want, but even now i don't see the value in doing that when i know i'm going to derail all the hard work i put in all week prior.

We have a local boxing "champ" so to speak that frequents a bar around here, he has a ton of money so he figures why not go blow it on all on beer? This boxer is also skinny as ****, and looks absolutely terrible without his shirt on, it's actually physically difficult for me to look at him lol.

Anyways to answer your questions, it's not a waste of time to do it only 1 time per week, though i think you could benefit from a 2nd day. I myself recently got ALOT heavier into martial arts again like i used to, and i'm finding i just don't have the energy i used to when i was younger to weight train 4 days a week and do 4-5 days a week of karate too lol, however i've noticed the more i do karate the better i get (obviously) and the more my muscles seem to get accustomed to it, even with the reduced "gym time". Just try your current routine out for a month or 2 and see how far youre results come and then go from there :)
    Last edited by blood riot iori; 7/08/2010 12:45pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of plyometric exercises, I searched around some and I found these:

Heavy Bag Push
    YouTube- Plyometrics Training Exercises : Heavy Bag Pushes for Sports Training

Or maybe alternatively this one is a better variant:

Heavy Bag Thrust
    YouTube- Muay Thai-MMA-Boxing Plyometrics: Heavy Bag Thrust

Heavy Bag Rotations
    YouTube- Plyometrics Training Exercises : Heavy Bag Rotations Exercise

Medecine Ball Thrust
    YouTube- Muay Thai-MMA-Boxing Plyometrics: Medicine Ball Thrust

Lateral Plyometric Push-Ups
    YouTube- Lateral Plyometric push-ups

Scissor Lunges
    YouTube- Plyometrics Training Exercises : How to Do Dynamic Scissor Lunges

Wiper Exercise (I'm guessing you could do this with a medecine ball as well?)
    YouTube- Conditioning Exercises for Combat Sports : Wiper Exercise with Weight for Combat Sports

Circulating Plyo Push-Ups
    YouTube- Practice Drills for Fighters : Plyo Push Ups for Fighters

And then of course classical exercises such as push ups with hand claps, depth push ups and such. Still looking for more lower body exercises that don't revolve around a jack box.

Thoughts?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first link isn't plyometric, as he wants you to train it for 15-25 reps. A plyo is trained for at most 3 reps, because after that, you run into form deviation issues. You want to practice perfect form and maximal explosion/force generation here, as you're training your body to do the same. Training your body in a state of fatigue will just reinforce bad habits.

Same issue with the second one, and he's also not actually catching the bag and using stretch reflex (or whatever the actual plyo term is, I'm too used to powerlifting).

Some of these videos show at least a good principle, but most folks for some reason try to train plyometrics as a conditioning exericse. That's not the role for them at all. They are built to develop maximal power, and should be trained as such.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    The first link isn't plyometric, as he wants you to train it for 15-25 reps. A plyo is trained for at most 3 reps, because after that, you run into form deviation issues. You want to practice perfect form and maximal explosion/force generation here, as you're training your body to do the same. Training your body in a state of fatigue will just reinforce bad habits.

Same issue with the second one, and he's also not actually catching the bag and using stretch reflex (or whatever the actual plyo term is, I'm too used to powerlifting).

Some of these videos show at least a good principle, but most folks for some reason try to train plyometrics as a conditioning exericse. That's not the role for them at all. They are built to develop maximal power, and should be trained as such.
    3 reps? Really? Wow, I guess I was totally wrong then. I assumed that plyometric exercises also followed a standard 3x10 type of routine.

How should a plyometrics circuit look like, then?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't going to train plyometrics in a circuit.

You're pretty much going to reverse the set/rep pattern. It'll be more like 8-10x3, with long rest periods for the sake of recovery.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the process now of reading this book by the rather well known Ross Enamait
    http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html

for a boxer, or fighter of pretty much any discipline, his training philiosophy and choice of exercises to meet those goals seems pretty sound.

He emphasises versatility and well rounded athletiscism over strength or conditioning separately.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:39pm

Style: Freestyle Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree about ross. II is a great read. the best $20 bucks spent.
    also check out bas rutten mma workout. but get II for shure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12