Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exercises for a noob boxer?

I'm looking for some tips for a workout schedule that's around 20 - 30mins long that I can do at the end of each training session. I've basically just been doing only push ups, sit-ups and rope skipping (sp?) and most of the time I've been really exhausted and could barely squeeze out 3x10 sets. But my strenght has improved and I'm doing some beefing up now during the summer break.

Any suggestions? If it matters somehow: I box two hours every monday, tuesday, thursday and saturday.

Also, it doesn't need to be specific excercises intended to increase my boxing. General fitness is fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 8:06pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All your core exercises are good - sit-ups, planks, bear crawls, russian twists. There's a million of them, but don't forget to do something for your lower back - supermans, good mornings, etc. - otherwise you'll get an imbalance and backache.

For general boxing conditioning, focus on plyometric exercises designed for fast twitch response: Box jumps, burpees, mountain climbers, tuck jumps, lunges, and so on.

In my gym, we also used to do a variety of things to get used to working solidly for three minutes: stepping on and off a box while holding weights with your arms out in "crucifix" position; sprinting up and down three flights of stairs for three three-minute rounds. Wind sprints and high intensity interval training are excellent for getting your body used to the cardio demands of boxing.

If it helps at all, my boxing workout went like this:

3x3 rounds rope
    3x3 rounds shadow boxing (working on technique)
    3x3 heavy bag (sometimes speed or double-ended bag, depending)
    Sparring (however many rounds I could handle - not always that much!)
    Conditioning - core, plyometrics, and/or HIIT.

Often, I'd switch the sparring and the conditioning around depending on what was going on in the gym and how busy it was. I'd always have a bit of break between them.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 7:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.rossboxing.com this link is gold for boxers who want to be conditioned.

personally I just do high intensity bag rounds at the end of a session. I feel that working on developing a technically sound, fast and powerful set of punches is probably more important than plyometrics which can be done anywhere.

other than that 2 weight sessions a week using a program like http://www.stronglifts.com will make you alot stronger alot faster than plyometrics.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post

other than that 2 weight sessions a week using a program like http://www.stronglifts.com will make you alot stronger alot faster than plyometrics.
    As much as I am an advocate of limit strength training, how do you figure?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 5:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    As much as I am an advocate of limit strength training, how do you figure?
    how do I figure what? that weights make you stronger faster than plyometrics?

is this a trick question?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 6:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    how do I figure what? that weights make you stronger faster than plyometrics?

is this a trick question?
    No, it's not. Plyos are used for speed training in several regions, and your statement is that training for maximal strength will be better than training for power when your goal is speed. I'm wondering how you draw that conclusion.
    "Emevas,

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 10:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    No, it's not. Plyos are used for speed training in several regions, and your statement is that training for maximal strength will be better than training for power when your goal is speed. I'm wondering how you draw that conclusion.
    I was going to argue, then it just dawned on me that plyometrics are the explosive exercises, not the basic bodyweight pushups ****.

I would still recommend strength training as greatly important to boxers either way.
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, looks like I misread you. I thought you said it would make you alot stronger and alot faster, but "alot stronger alot faster".
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

I'm also wondering if it's a good idéa to go swimming inbetween the boxing days. It's good exercise overall and I hear also that it doesn't leave you sore like say weightlifting would.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 4:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming plus boxing is decent enough for conditioning but I find it too skill based personally.

After being taught by a swimmer how to do the strokes properly I wasn't getting nearly as good a workout because it has alot to do with technical efficiency. you obviously can get great benefits from swimming but if you follow the ideas on rossboxing.com as I posted above you will get a more intense workout in less time than is needed to get a workout from swimming.

I've just bought one of Ross Enemait's books due to a Sherdog review.. If by some oddity there isnt one on here I may take the trouble to review it.
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast