Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2010 10:09pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Extreme Dagger Fencing

daggerfencing.com

found this site in a review for a wireless fencing scoring system.

Apparently they have what looks to be a small sabre in one hand and an epee in the other. I know nothing of rapier and dagger fencing, so I can't comment on their one bout video, but their rules on the other hand...

Unlike standard Olympic style dagger fencing the winner is decided after 3 rounds of 5 minutes each. After each point is scored the fencers are placed en-guarde in the center of the piste. The fencer with the most points after the end of the third round (minus any infractions) is the victor. By chance there is a tie the fencers will compete in additional rounds until the tie is broken.There is 1 minute between rounds where the opponents return to their perspective corners.

With Extreme Dagger Fencing there are no restrictions to mask painting or the color of the uniform. The fencer can use an alias and does not have to remove his or her mask once the bout is over in order to remain anonymous.
    wtf is that supposed to mean? can batman just waltz on into a competition without any worry? convicted felons?

I guess i just dont understand the purpose of this rule/liberty.

anybody know anything about this?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It came up on Sword Forum International a while ago; the general reaction was one of bemusement. What they are doing doesn't much resemble historical sword and dagger fencing, but then again I don't think it's supposed to.

Wild guess re. the "Batman rule" is that it's intended to encourage serious/higher-level fencers to compete anonymously in this new sport, presumably because they'd feel self-conscious otherwise. I suppose that it would add a certain aura of intrigue to the proceedings.

Incidentally, "Extreme dagger fencing" echos an epee and dagger fencing style popularized in France by Georges Dubois and Albert Lacaze during the first few decades of the 20th century . There's some video of their version on YouTube.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/28/2010 7:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 8:01am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but honestly, would you fence someone who won't show you his face and shake your hand?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 11:07am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only if I got to dramatically remove his mask and dramatically shout "dead god it was YOU all along!" afterwards, preferably followed by a chandelier based escape out of the window.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/28/2010 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    somewhere between fencing and lucha libre, there is a sweet spot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 3:16pm

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a brief look at the website. The description appeals to my sense of drama and wanting to try something new, but it also seems a step or two away from being fully realized, and fully proof against ridicule. The form of combat sounds a little like SCA fencing, but the videos did not look very impressive to my (admittedly untrained in this particular form) eye.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh.

It's no different from "suicide-lunge-tap-fencing" like the rest of modern fencing, you just happen to have a short epee in your other hand. The guys in the video are hardly even using it.

Too much of the beauty and potential of the offhand parrying dagger is completely lost on this kind of fencing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 10:14am

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They've added some more video, including some instruction, that makes it look more like they know what they are doing.
    http://www.daggerfencing.com/Video.html