Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Panantukan - Any good?

How is Panantukan in relation with other FMAs? I know the basics: it emphasizes empty hands and knife more than sticks and they like to stick to close range. And it doesn't seem so concerned about always using the triangle to come in from the outside as in, for instance, PTK. Oh, and they use closed fists to punch, that's pretty unorthodox for FMA.

I'm interested in knowing about what I haven't seen yet: which is knife or empty hands sparring and fighting. I can't find any videos of it. I'm specifically interested in seeing if their gunting techniques actually work in live sparring. Can anyone attest to the functionality of gunting?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 3:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much every place I've seen Panantukan taught, including my own, teaches it as a sub-set of larger FMA or JKD. If it is trained right, you will essentially learn Western boxing as a delivery system, with gunting, elbows, and the like as technique sets. If the school is not good, you'll learn some really high-speed looking techniques that look awesome when applied to a non-resisting feeding opponent. This is my major complaint against some of the flashier FMA systems & their empty hand curriculae.

Some systems use knives held in ice pick grips as an augment to the punching techniques. I've never used that in a fight before (thankfully), but it sounds workable.

As far as using gunting in sparring, some are easier than others. Depending on range, I usually have no problem using elbow destructions. My mileage varies with other techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 6:32pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Panatukan can be very good and as mentioned can often mean different things. To some, it is used to describe their empty hand material. To others, it simply means Filipino style boxing. In yet other cases it is used to describe their single knife work which mirrors their empty hand material (or vice versa depending on who you study with).

There are a good deal of moves that can be difficult to pull off in the material ala JKD trapping and various jocks and throws. One of things that often gets lost in this is that a good FMA teacher will want you to be very good at the basic punches and kicks to work on timing before expecting you to be good with traps, locks, guintings, etc. You may start off working them but they are hard to spar so in order to develop your timing properly, your sparring will likely look alot like kickboxing albeit with some different footwork.

The empty hand material is something that I really enjoy about FMA.