Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 6:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    OK, I agree that you are an individual with a lot of experience than me, especially in TCC. But the guy was stressing that point about tha gender difference to the point where he was warning me about the importance of this differentiation.
    I heard that William Chow often taught in the parks, but with this training fee, he should be able to provide lots of equpment for training and still make a comfortable living, unless he is greedy.
    Like I said: this is Serbia I'm talking about. One of the things I forgot to say is that the guy's instruction is waaaaay lower quality than other MA instructors in my hometown. I do have experience in the way karate, judo, wing chun, escrima and kendo are taught in my country, and this guy is falling behind of everyone. This wasn't a hyperbole. The guy even claimed that he could teach "more powerful Judo" than my Judo sensei. That isn't just basic magical thinking. The guy was actively trying to draw me away from my judo club. That is called "illegal business practices" in both US and Serbia.
    Also, I didn't tell him that I was intersted in throwing techniques. I didn't even tell him personally that I was a judoka, my friend told him. As soon as he heard it, he paused, looked like he was trying to hide some concern, and started talking about being able to teach better Judo than my Judo sensei, even though he teaches TCC. I am sorry that I didn't clarify this in my original post, but the guy was up to no-good.
    This is called an opinion and should have never been posted in MABS. You continue to show your age with the hyperbole you post in most threads.

In the US, you can actively try to take other students. Is it ethically or morally right? I don't know. If you come to my school, I wouldn't put your instructor down but, yes I'd want another paying student.

Considering your age I'm taking your comment, mixed with your "I know how all these arts are taught" " comment, and thinking he tried to recruit you to his gym and you freaked out.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Hey now, judoist went to the club with his pal; it's not like the TCC guy was hanging around outside the dojo, looking to recruit students.
    It's still pretty bad form.

"Hey, I also train X at Y, I'd like to learn your art Z too!"

"You should stop training there and just come here, I'm better. At everything. Even the stuff I don't know."

There's been more than a few real fights caused over things like that, amongst the more lively MA schools anyway. It's a dick move, it's just not illegal...
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 6/28/2010 6:33pm at .

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    "You should stop training there and just come here, I'm better. At everything. Even the stuff I don't know."
    Sure, though I don't believe that was the case here. First time around, judoist has the instructor say that TCC can improve judoist's judo. Then judoist seems to suggest in a follow-up post that the TCC instructor offered to teach judoist superior judo.

I think the former is more likely what actually happened. Judoist is a Serb communicating to us in what is likely a foreign language, so the differences in meaning between the two statements may not be perfectly clear.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 6:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    It's still pretty bad form.

"Hey, I also train X at Y, I'd like to learn your art Z too!"

According to who? Judoist? If it was you I'd tend to believe it is bad form. This set up sounds like a kid decided to do some BS detective work because we questioned the 4th Dan and wasn't fully forthcoming.

There's been more than a few real fights caused over things like that, amongst the more lively MA schools anyway. It's a dick move, it's just not illegal...
    Yes, if he said what you equated I'd agree. Still, if someone came into my gym I'd try to sell him on my perks. It happens more than you think people just aren't dicks when they do it.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456