Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 9:48pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How does this routine look?

Sorry if this question gets asked here too much.

Here it is:

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

10-15 min stairs

30 min Jogging

40 min of bag drills

Bench Press 3 x 8-5
    Squat 3 x 12
    Deadlift 3 x 8-5
    Military Press 3 x 8 -5
    Dips 3 x 12
    Chins: 3 sets till 1 rep before failure (if that makes any sense)
    Lunges 3 x 8

Abs (Incline sit ups and Leg raises) 4 x 10 each

Suggestions? Questions? Corrections? Anything is welcome

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may not have enough recovery time in between the days. Its good you are making use of large muscle group exercises.
    A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    40 pushup in 45 sec
    take 30 sec break
    25 pups in 30 sec
    take break
    15 in 20 secs
    take break
    40 in 40 secs
    take break

15 regular pushup
    14 wide
    13 close
    and so on till you get to one
    no break in this ladder set

good warm up ..have fun
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:16am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you also do MA in between?

You are also doing A LOT of compound movements, you may not have enough time between workouts to heal. Consider breaking the larger compound movements up into separate days.
    And also depends what weight you are moving....if it is high and you are really stressing then you should lower reps and sets a bit.....

And....I've found weight training involving the arms after bag work really SUCKS due to your arms already tired from the bag. (Then again my endurance sucks!)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my weight lifting routine, I use a 2 day split. Day A is Bench, Military Press, Curls, Tricep Extensions, and Oblique crunches. Day B is Jump shrugs, RDLs, Lat rows, squats and crunches.

Monday / Thursday = Day A
    Tuesday / Friday = Day B

Also, by giving yourself those numbers, you might be giving yourself too many restraints. The way I do my weight lifting is as follows (I'm just going to choose bench press arbitrarily and put a simple multiple of 10 number to make things easy):

Put 150 pounds on the bar, and do 4 sets of bench press with adequate rest between sets. Each set goes to failure, regardless of the number of reps. So let's say first set I do 12, second set I do 9, third I do 6, and fourth I do 5. MAKE SURE TO WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. You know you're ready to increase the weight you're lifting when the number of reps in your last set is greater than or equal to 8. So when the day comes that my 4th set equals 8, I will put 160 pounds on the bar next time.

This is how I organize my weight training for each exercise, with the exception of ab work, and it works well for me.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 5:28am

Style: Vaghi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: How does this routine look?

Originally posted by Akurra
    Sorry if this question gets asked here too much.

(Program)

Suggestions? Questions? Corrections? Anything is welcome
    I have a few questions.

What are your goals?

What is the purpose of your regimen? If there is more than one purpose, what are their priority?

How long do you plan on doing this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 7:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goals? Get better technique, improve power, speed, and endurance.

How long? Until I feel I need to change it up I guess.

I would do that Monday/Thursday, Tuesday/Friday routine ideally. That really works best for me. But this is all I can manage due to time restraints.

So far I'm hearing that I shouldn't do so many compound movements on the same day. So should I focus on 1 per day? Bench on monday, Squat on wed, Dead of Fri? I kinda liked the idea of a full body work out. I plan on keeping the weightlifting session at 30 min.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why no sparring and MA drills ??
    You are doing 15 min of stairclimber and 30 min of jogging for a total of 45 min of cardio work that is NON-MA related, maybe doing some MA in their might be a good idea.
    As for you weight routine, if I may make a suggestion:
    You are doing TOO many compound exercise, as Pizdof mentioned, I woul dsuggest you START the routine with squats, they are the most physically demanding exercise.
    IF you are doing deadlifts inthe same workout, some people find that BOTH squats ans deadlifts or too much for their lower back, do the DL after the bench press.
    You MAY not need lunges, maybe calf work would be better.
    This might be a better routine:
    Squat
    Bench
    Dead
    Overhead
    Chin Dip
    Calf

Don't forget ab work.
    If you are doing only a max of 8 reps, remember to keep the weight hevy ( around 85% of your max).
    BUT, you MAY be doing TOO much Strength training in one workout.
    NOTE: you SHOULD divide your Strength training from you MA, do them on separate days, IF you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 8:41am

Style: Vaghi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Akurra
    Goals? Get better technique, improve power, speed, and endurance.

How long? Until I feel I need to change it up I guess.

I would do that Monday/Thursday, Tuesday/Friday routine ideally. That really works best for me. But this is all I can manage due to time restraints.

So far I'm hearing that I shouldn't do so many compound movements on the same day. So should I focus on 1 per day? Bench on monday, Squat on wed, Dead of Fri? I kinda liked the idea of a full body work out. I plan on keeping the weightlifting session at 30 min.
    My questions were a bit vague. Are you doing this so that you can punch or kick with more power, speed, and endurance; or are you doing this so that you can do everyday physical things with all of the aforementioned? Is this General Physical Preparation or Specific Physical Preparation? 2 days a week is enough for a beginner if you're just lifitng weights. As you progress, you can add in 1 or 2 more days. A lot of people try to jump in and do as much as they can in a short amount of time and burn themselves out before they see any results.

You need to decide what your specific aim is and taylor your program around it. You're planning to fail if you try to address all your weak areas at the same time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Aikido 2 times week. Not very physically demanding.

To ronin:
    The Bag work is my MA related. That is mostly for my muscular endurance.
    The 45 min of non MA cardio is for my heart and lungs and legs.
    I have used similar full body routines before and can handle it fairly well, but never done it in combination with bag and cardio.

Edge:
    I do Aikido 2 times a week for 2 hrs each time. The bag work I would be doing would be based on the boxing and kickboxing drills I did in the past. I don't know how well I can split things up, I only have about 2-2.5 hours to train on mon/wed/fri. That's it . Do you have a suggestion on how to use that time more efficiently?

Owen:
    More general preperation. I trying to specifically kick longer with more power and speed. But not for a competition or whatever. I'm just trying to work on physical conditioning for fighting and MA.

Given that I only have these 2.5 hours on mon/wed/fri every week. How would you use that time? This would be the only time I have to work on my striking skills. Also, I did use this routine, what should I do 1st 2nd and 3rd. I was thinking cardio, strength, bag. Is this alright?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast