Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eating and drinking....

Ah... the Stoli is kicking in. This one is going to make you a huge hit at the next party. I am sure all you die hard MMA fans will be having parties over the next two weekends. But what to make for all your guests? Well, here is a manly mix for one and all....

Block Party Beans
    Serves 10 to 12

For a festive presentation worthy of its name, we recommend using beans of varying shapes and colors, such as kidney beans, navy beans, black beans, and pinto beans. Serve with hot sauce.

2 1/2 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
    1 onion , chopped fine
    4 garlic cloves , minced
    4 (15-ounce) cans beans , drained and rinsed (see note)
    2 (28-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper
    12 ounces green beans , trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen lima beans

1. MAKE SAUCE Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain beef in colander, then return to pot. Stir in onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, sugar, vinegar, pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to boil.

2. BAKE Transfer pot to oven and cook, covered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in green beans and lima beans and continue to cook, covered, until green beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve. (Beans can be refrigerated in airtight container for 3 days or frozen for 1 month.)

With melinda sauce this is a great dish.... and by the time the main event is on, the farts in the room will peel the paint off the walls!!!!
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 8:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..and, add this and the party is complete!

All-American Potato Salad

A backyard barbecue wouldn’t be complete without a big bowl of potato salad. Chances are, however, that salad isn’t what it could be. The potatoes might be mushy or the vinaigrette bland. How do you make perfect American-style potato salad? Here’s what we discovered:

Test Kitchen Discoveries

Use firm-textured, full-flavored Yukon Gold potatoes. They hold their shape after cooking and won’t turn mushy in the salad. Do take the time to peel them first; their skin can be tough and papery.

Use pickle juice in the vinaigrette. Because it is less acidic and sweeter-tasting than vinegar, we found that it could be used to great effect.

Drizzle the still-warm potatoes with a mixture of pickle juice and mustard. The hot potatoes will easily absorb the acidic liquid and taste seasoned through to the middle.

All-American Potato Salad
    Serves 4 to 6

Make sure not to overcook the potatoes or the salad will be quite sloppy. Keep the water at a gentle simmer and use the tip of a paring knife to judge the doneness of the potatoes. If the knife inserts easily into the potato pieces, they are done.

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
    3 tablespoons dill pickle juice , plus 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 onion, red (small) , chopped fine
    1 rib celery , chopped fine
    2 hard-cooked eggs , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)

1. Place potatoes in large saucepan with cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over high heat, add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Drain potatoes thoroughly, then spread out on rimmed baking sheet. Mix 2 tablespoons pickle juice and mustard together in small bowl, drizzle pickle juice mixture over potatoes, and toss until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.

3. Mix remaining tablespoon pickle juice, chopped pickles, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, celery seed, mayonnaise, sour cream, red onion, and celery in large bowl. Toss in cooled potatoes, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, about 30 minutes. (Salad can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Gently stir in eggs, if using, just before serving.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 8:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suggestion to try:

In recipes that call for ground beef, try substituting 99% lean ground Turkey; it's one of the major staples of my diet. It has more protein than red meat with almost no fat (I just took out the trash so I can't look at the package, but I believe it's 28g of protein per serving vs. 2g of fat).

P.S. I AM going to try that extra hot sauce you recommended. I love habanero.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 8:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Suggestion to try:

In recipes that call for ground beef, try substituting 99% lean ground Turkey. It's a major staple of my diet. It has more protein than red meat with almost no fat (I just took out the trash so I can't look at the package, but I believe it's 28g of protein per serving vs. 2g of fat).

I AM going to try that extra hot sauce you recommended. I love habanero.
    I promise you, buy them all. You will be very glad you did! They are sooooo much better than the old style hot sauces.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 8:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, about the eggs.

I love them in the potato salad; however set the yolks aside. Chop the whites and put them in the salad. Use the yolks in the dressing, it thickens it up and makes the salad a better product!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 9:21pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any efficient way to deal with potatoes? I fucking hate peeling them. I've also tried the slice the skin's circumference. Boil that ****, then shock it in ice water and it should be easy to peel. It's quite some work still.

Also, eggs are the most delicious thing ever.
    Last edited by OiScout; 6/23/2010 9:24pm at .

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 4:15am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude those beans sound delicious. Any type of bean in particular? I don't know how open my options might be over here.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 4:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -I write of the great eternal truths... that bind together all mankind the whole world over.
    We eat, we ****, we ****, we kill and we die.

-But we also fall in love. We build cities, we compose symphonies and we endure.

From the movie Quills.

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 4:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Dude those beans sound delicious. Any type of bean in particular? I don't know how open my options might be over here.
    Block Party Beans
    Boston Baked Beans meet Sloppy Joe in this easy, crowd-pleasing dish. Could we take it from decent to delicious? Here’s what we discovered:

Test Kitchen Discoveries

We usually prefer to use dried beans, but in this recipe the difference between canned and dried beans was minimal, so we chose canned beans. We recommend using beans of varying shapes and color.
    For the sauce, we mixed tomato sauce with brown sugar (for its pleasing hint of molasses), bottled barbecue sauce (which added a smoky note), and red pepper flakes and cider vinegar for a bright finish.
    Tasters preferred the traditional choice of ground beef to any other meat combinations we tried.
    Build the dish in a Dutch oven in multiple steps. Brown the beef before sautéing the onions and garlic. After that, the sauce can be stirred into the pan with the canned beans before baking in the oven.
    We cut fresh green beans and stirred them in partway through baking. Along with the green beans, we tossed in a box of frozen lima beans, which unlike canned, retain their creamy texture. Together, these two beans added crunch, freshness, and creaminess.

STEP BY STEP

Full of Beans

Block Party casseroles typically contain a hodgepodge of canned beans swimming in an ersatz Sloppy Joe mix. While canned beans were a good start, we found that the addition of meaty frozen lima beans and crunchy fresh green beans gave the casserole much needed textural contrast, plus some spark.
    Fresh beans

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 4:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd like affordable recepes please.
    any idea how much turkey costs over here?
    its sick.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast