Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ... a rich mans art ???

Hey guys,

I've studied martial arts for a while, and from my previous experience I've paid $100 to $120 a month for BJJ. Month to month was ok.

I've been out of the loop for a year and I want to start up training again.
    The gyms in my new area are totally legit. Actually very good gyms.

They all have almost identical pricing.
    Check this out.....

$100 sign up fee.
    Around $130 an month, but with a ONE YEAR CONTRACT !

If you want to pay month to month it is around $170 a month !!!

WTF??!!!
    I just want to train ! SInce when do you have to be loaded to roll?
    I'm the only bread winner in my house, and these prices are just not doable for me.....unless I want to sacrifice money from my family obligations, which is sort of selfish and reprehensible in a way.

SO are these prices normal ?
    Are one year contracts, the way things are done now?
    Sucks.

Style
    Clinchology: Judo & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not MABS worthy.

But yes, pretty standard.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandai View Post
    Hey guys,

I've studied martial arts for a while, and from my previous experience I've paid $100 to $120 a month for BJJ. Month to month was ok.

I've been out of the loop for a year and I want to start up training again.
    The gyms in my new area are totally legit. Actually very good gyms.

They all have almost identical pricing.
    Check this out.....

$100 sign up fee.
    Around $130 an month, but with a ONE YEAR CONTRACT !

If you want to pay month to month it is around $170 a month !!!

WTF??!!!
    I just want to train ! SInce when do you have to be loaded to roll?
    I'm the only bread winner in my house, and these prices are just not doable for me.....unless I want to sacrifice money from my family obligations, which is sort of selfish and reprehensible in a way.

SO are these prices normal ?
    Are one year contracts, the way things are done now?
    Sucks.
    Before you get blasted, I would suggest reading the stickies of this forum first. They will inform you that this is not the correct sub-forum for the type of information you are looking for. Then go to Newbie Town, introduce yourself, and posting your questions there. I would also recommend providing your location as well as some information on some of the schools you've looked into and which ones advertised the above prices.

Based on the limited information you provided, your answer is "it depends". It depends on the school, the facilities, the instructors and instruction, as well as how all of those things compare with the competition in the general area.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I didnt follow protocol. I've been reading forums for years and understand there is certain etiquette.
    But this is really my only interest at the moment, and I just wanted some quick input.

As far as the schools...they are top notch. And as far as competition in the general area....there is none.
    All of the gyms prices are extremely similar, as I stated above.

And as far as being in the wrong forum section, i apologize.
    The forum title is fraud, investigations, and STANDARDS, so I figured this was the place.
    My bad I suppose.

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the school and the locale. That's definitely above average for where I live and train. I had to pay an association fee when I signed up, but it was like $30. $100 to $120 a month is pretty standard. If the school is as top notch as you say, you'll pay a premium.

If you're hard up for cash, look for a university club. I paid about $5 a month to train when I was in grad school. Failing that, judo. If I had the time and energy I'd do judo and bjj. Oh well, **** in one hand and wish in the other and see which piles up faster.

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am part of a Academy and we charge about the same. If you would do the math on some basic business expenses you would see why many people have to charge for the classes. I find people's ignorance of just simple costs that are inherent to running a business.

I am not going to break it down for anyone but go out and get some figures and then calculate how much you would have to charge to just keep the doors open then come back and bitch about prices.

Don't start with the but Judo is cheap because very very few Judo clubs are run as to make a living for the instructor. The instructor donates his time as well as finds a cheap place to call a dojo. They will charge next to nothing and then close after it becomes too much of a hassle.

Its not a rich man's activity its for a dedicated man's activity. Why should an instructor give you 3 hours a night of my life to you for free. Would you work for free at your job?

12 hours a month of training costs $10 an hour if you go 18 hours its $6.68 the price of a latte and muffin.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are close to my fees and they are antiquated by normal standards. Back in the 1980's prices for gas were below $1, mimimum wage was about $3.25, A movie ticket cost about $5. Now Gas is $3 per gallon, Mimimum wage is $8.25, and a movie ticket is about $9. On the other hand most places only charge about 20% more than they did over 20 years ago yet we have people complaining how much it is. Makes you wonder.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand business is business. Gotta pay rent. Gotta cover expenses.
    Cool.
    But really, a one year contract is a little nuts IMO. Especially in this economy.
    If you break contract, then your really F'ed.
    Again, I understand the business aspect....but theres got to be a reasonable middle ground.
    And really for a 1 to 2 hour group class, its not like each student at a big gym would get an exceptional amount of personal time with the instructor.

Sorry to bitch, but like i said i just wanna roll ! But I gotta pay rent and feed my family as well.

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandai View Post
    I understand business is business. Gotta pay rent. Gotta cover expenses.
    Cool.
    But really, a one year contract is a little nuts IMO. Especially in this economy.
    If you break contract, then your really F'ed.
    Again, I understand the business aspect....but theres got to be a reasonable middle ground.
    And really for a 1 to 2 hour group class, its not like each student at a big gym would get an exceptional amount of personal time with the instructor.

Sorry to bitch, but like i said i just wanna roll ! But I gotta pay rent and feed my family as well.

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.
    What did you practice before? I mean it became common place for 3 year contracts for at least 2 decades.

Style
    Clinchology: Judo & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're not requiring you to sign to contract, they gave you a month-to-month option. The contract is there to provide you with savings and to provide them with guaranteed revenue.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last