Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Really want to improve

I take a mixed martial arts class five days a week but other then the rolling/sparring at the end its all technique. I have a gym membership but really have no idea what kind of exercises to do. I have enough time to go 7 days a week and I really would love to get stronger and faster. Please any suggestions are appreciated!

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should have personal trainers availible at your gym. Hire one to teach you how to work out consistant with your goals and develop a program for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 3:15pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice Vorpral...do that at least until you feel comfortable going out on your own. Additional advice is to have friends that know how to work out. Combine that with taking an active interest in this subject. Go to credible online websites, read magazines...particularly MMA magazines that feature workouts, etc.

I learned how to work out from guy's I've met while in the Marine Corps, subscribing to Men's Health, surfing the net, acquiring videos like P90X, etc. One piece of advice I can give you is that its important to do exercises that somewhat closely mimic what you'll be doing in the ring...or at least activate the same muscle groups in a similar fashion (ie plyometrics, etc).

good training to you,
    A

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    They should have personal trainers availible at your gym. Hire one to teach you how to work out consistant with your goals and develop a program for you.
    If you go this route, you want to check on your trainers credentials. There is little regulation in the PT world, and many folks can pick up a cert over a long weekend (like Krav and Crossfit). Look up their clients and see how they've progressed.

If you're training 5 days a week, I'd keep additional exercise minimal. Maybe 2 days of lifting a week, or 3 days every two weeks, with an emphasis on heavy compounds. My traditional suggestion is

Day A
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Row

Day B
    Deadlift
    Bench or weighted dip
    Chin

Going for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in a similar situation a few months ago, and stumbled on Stronglifts 5x5 (thanks Teh El Macho!)

I've been very happy with Stronglifts, it gives you solid, detailed workout plan with old school compound lifts, squat, bench, deadlift, press, rows, and you don't need to have a lot of lifting experience, it starts slow but builds quickly.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 4:17pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas makes a good point...many PTs get licensed via correspondence CD/DVDs and tests.

And a lot of guys are scarred of exercises like squats, cleans, deadlift and these are great exercises. Have someone show you how to do them right and start off with low weight until your form is good. Many other people who work our shy away from the basics such as pushups/variation, pullups, dips, core work, etc. just because they aren't as sexy as benching...or something like that. I always say (and I'm not authority on the subject) if you can't do 50 pushups you have no business being on a doing chest presses. flatbench...I know this is probably a controversial statement, but I think you get the idea.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the response its been very helpful! Right now I'm leaning towards the Stronglifts 5x5 because I can do heavy bag workouts and some abdominal stuff on the days I'm not doing the 5x5 routine.