Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 9:18am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xarjihn View Post
    interesting inquery. its job related (no lie). i did some research. i talked to the IT section of G6 on Ft. Benning (home of the infantry) since i work for G3 as an instructor and firing coach (for weapon systems and squad based organics). here's what i found out. my work station has an encryption program that encodes the IP and scrambles it to avoid potential hacking. as a result it it sets up the network IP addresses. this is allegedly suppoed to deter hackers for attempting anything stupid. alsothere is a flag program or trap that alerts DHS of an attempted hack.
    otherthan that. i have no idea why i would have 5 freakin' IP addresses. tho i'm sure 1 of them if for my home computer.
    That's actually the reciprocal statement. It's not that 5 IP addresses are associated with your account, but rather 5 ACCOUNTS associated with 1 IP address.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 9:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..//..i have no idea why i would have 5 freakin' IP addresses. tho i'm sure 1 of them if for my home computer.
    It isn't that you have 5 IP's that's potentially the problem, there are 5 seperate user accounts sharing IP's and the Mil host which is being used by you.

I suspect because those are all from work based machines, these are likely not accounts which you've made individually. I can confirm there is one unique IP for you and I'm assuming that's your home PC.

I'll leave it at that.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle sword forms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am guilty of being technologically stupid...

guess i'll have to take a training session at G6
    :dead:

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 10:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am guilty of being technologically stupid...

guess i'll have to take a training session at G6
    :dead:
    Anyway..

I study Muso Shinden Ryu Iai and Kendo - have done for quite some time, what exactly is "free style sword"

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    It isn't that you have 5 IP's that's potentially the problem, there are 5 seperate user accounts sharing IP's and the Mil host which is being used by you.

I suspect because those are all from work based machines, these are likely not accounts which you've made individually. I can confirm there is one unique IP for you and I'm assuming that's your home PC.

I'll leave it at that.
    his description fits well what i'd expect to see if there were five people on a military base with registered accounts.

In interest of security and cost efficiency, the base would likely have just one or two pipelines from its local network to the world for non-critical traffic. All of the computers on the inside would likely receive local addresses only, and traffic to the world would be handled by a protocol (presumably NAT).

Think of it in terms of telephony: if they want to call on base, they do it directly. If they want to call off base, first they dial the switchboard, who then forwards the call to you. On your end, the caller ID shows the switchboard no matter who is calling. The switchboard operator bears the responsibility to ensure that whatever you say into the phone gets routed back to the correct local user.

I'd expect that bullshido would encounter this for just about any institution where more than one user per campus logs in to your server.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 11:33am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for stating the obvious..

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 12:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle sword forms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    free style sword form-

blend you base form (in my case shinkendo) with the rudimentary basic techniques of other similar styles (ie- kenjutsu, iaijutsu, yagyu shinkage, etc.) and apply the combat theories to a realistic situation such as a mass brawl of two 20 man teams. figure out your own rhythmn and keep everything that works.

an additional step to take-
    hunt down and dominate the grandmaster of some cartoonishly outrageous fighting style like chipotle fist, or ravemaster something something...

on a side note: i was an accomplished martial practioner... i'm no artist by far. then my life took a turn. joined the army, became a cav scout, deployed, fought, got injured... then became fat, out of shape and somewhat lazy. i am trying to get back into my styles that i practiced faithfully with lots of support from friends and family.

nonetheless, on the long road to recovery i have discovered that kata and meditation help greatly with my PTSD... that and knowing some high school nerd got whooped by a handicapped sand rat.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    free style sword form-

blend you base form (in my case shinkendo) with the rudimentary basic techniques of other similar styles (ie- kenjutsu, iaijutsu, yagyu shinkage, etc.) and apply the combat theories to a realistic situation such as a mass brawl of two 20 man teams. figure out your own rhythmn and keep everything that works.

an additional step to take-
    hunt down and dominate the grandmaster of some cartoonishly outrageous fighting style like chipotle fist, or ravemaster something something...

on a side note: i was an accomplished martial practioner... i'm no artist by far. then my life took a turn. joined the army, became a cav scout, deployed, fought, got injured... then became fat, out of shape and somewhat lazy. i am trying to get back into my styles that i practiced faithfully with lots of support from friends and family.

nonetheless, on the long road to recovery i have discovered that kata and meditation help greatly with my PTSD... that and knowing some high school nerd got whooped by a handicapped sand rat.
    Please back all this up. I can't help but assume you are completely full of ****.
    Except for maybe the fat out of practice and lazy parts.

The parts that are concerning me when compared to your post history and style of writing are bold.

You could easily be another asset to this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 12:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    free style sword form-

blend you base form (in my case shinkendo) with the rudimentary basic techniques of other similar styles (ie- kenjutsu, iaijutsu, yagyu shinkage, etc.) and apply the combat theories to a realistic situation such as a mass brawl of two 20 man teams. figure out your own rhythmn and keep everything that works..
    I don't see it personally. Accuse me of being close-minded on the subject if you like, I respect that fact that you have a choice and an opinion but, any idiot (I'm not calling you an idiot) can swing a sword about and be fairly effective with it. The fact you have a two foot long blade in your hands makes you fairly dangerous without ANY form of training or knowledge.

What makes the study of a sword art worthwhile, and most definitely in the case in Nihonto is the application and understanding of, the purpose of the kata as they exist today. Even Koryu ryu-ha have undergone changes in technique since the Meiji Restoration however, the basis of those waza are drawn from combative experiences when carrying nihonto was an everyday occurrence. If you're essentially making stuff up, it really doesn't have any intent or purpose, especially if you tried that against someone really quite skilled in the use of the Japanese Sword, they'd pull your strategy apart very quickly.

The concept you mention about a "realistic situation" is flawed, flawed because as I said earlier any halfwit can pick up a sword and be really dangerous with it, it doesn't need training and, you don't even need to have much of an imagination to use it. Additionally, back in the day when nihonto were carried, the vast majority of deaths on the battlefields of feudal Japan were not sustained from sword wounds, they were from spear and from arrow engagements. Swords were very much considered secondary weapons and it wasn't until the times of comparative peace within the country did the sword eventually take on more of a focus as a weapon in its own right.

Study of the Japanese sword today is essentially nothing more than a physical practice of history, a means of keeping a tradition alive through practice and transmission of that information to others. It has absolutely no self defense application at all unless the emphasis from the individual is for home defense. That in it's self is a bit farcical because there's better more effective ways of achieving that. My advice.. Seriously, if there's a Kendo Dojo near to you, go there. I think you'd get a lot more from it.

All that said, if the study you undertake helps you with your PTSD then good for you, I've seen myself what modern warfare looks and feels like so I'm with you there mate.

If I can ever be of help with information about the Japanese sword or, associated subjects please don’t hesitate to let me know.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 12:39pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz
    If I can ever be of help with information about the Japanese sword or, associated subjects please dont hesitate to let me know.
    I received a katana as a birthday present a year ago. It's very nice only thing is it is unsharpened. Just out of curiosity how would I go about finding a way to have it sharpened?

(Assuming there is a way and I won't be arrested in the process...)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast