Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can you get into a fight and actually remember what happened?

I have read a few posts of manly daring do and have noticed that somone will allways call bullshit.
    Fair enough, there is no proof and it really could be made up. But the thing that intrested me was that bullshit was called on the grounds that there is no way in the stress of fighting that somone could remember blow for blow what they did.

This has allways sounded strange to me because under stressfull situations I do have an accurate account of what happened. I have quizzed some friends of mine and have found that in my social circle it varies.

So I was just wondering if people remember fights or black out or even do the red mist thing that I hear about.

this then led me to wonder about the other accepted Ideas i hear about fighting.

Do people get tunnel vision?
    Does adreanalin stop you feeling pain?
    Are you unable to perform complex motor functions or think creativly in the hurly burly of fighting?

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 11:44am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I haven't thrown down in the streets too much, but when I'm doing kumite or some more intense than usual drill, I can't.

I just kinda flip my brain off and react. I'd imagine that a life-or-death/mugging/brawl conflict would be higher stress and thus it would be even more necessary to be reactionary.

Eh. I dunno. I'm kinda stupid and I think slow, so if I think I get slow with my movements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 11:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the more times I tell the story the more I "remember"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:03pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've experienced both, where you can barely remember what happened, and where adrenaline makes everything seem to slow down and you at least think you remember everything in vivid detail (I've heard often this memory is not so accurate). Don't know what makes the difference.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    there is no way in the stress of fighting that somone could remember blow for blow what they did.
    Try being married. She remembers everything, I don't remember ****. And that's how she wins.

-ED

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:45pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive only been in 3 " street fights " one was when walking home one night and a guy high on gas started on me. Another was a fight at a party, i was sober at the time though. the last was a fight during a football match.

On all three occasions i was unable to remeber any specific details about the fight apart from how it started. All i know is that when i get put under pressure i get the " red mist" and just start swinging for the fences, my mind totally blanks out and i act on pure rage.

During the fight with the high guy he was smashing me in the head with the gas can ( like a metal aerosole can with sharp edges) he was snorting out before hand, it was imediatly after the fight that a friend of mine noticed that the back of my head was bleeding and my hoody was covered in blood. I didnt feel a thing however.

I broke one of my fingers , boxers fracture as the doc called it during the scrap at the football and didnt feel it untill after the fight had ended and the adrenaline had faded.

All i know is that adrenaline stops me feeling any pain but also stops my mind from working. i get stressed with the situation flip out then pound away.
    Last edited by adskibullus; 6/23/2010 1:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:06pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In high school I got in two fights. One lasted pretty long and I remember a lot of it, but not all. We both threw a few punches, I remember blocking a few right hooks (and getting hit by a bunch), and then somehow I ended up on the ground with him trying to kick me. I don't know how I got up or what happened next, but he soccer kicked me in the balls at some point and I think we threw a few more punches before we both had enough. This fight motivated me to start doing Kenpo.

The other was a kind of strange high school movie situation where this guy said he would kick my ass and then some of our friends made a really big deal out of it and then we're standing in the parking lot after school with people surrounding us. I really didn't want to fight but knew I'd be made fun of forever if I didn't, so I gained enough courage to throw the first punch. Then I seemed to have kind of blacked out for a second or two (???) and next thing I know he tries to tackle me (but a parked car kept me from falling) and I get him in a schoolyard head lock until a security guard broke it up. This fight reinforced the idea that Kenpo worked really well in the streetz (lol).

So basically, yes, both times I had trouble recalling exactly what happened blow for blow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:15pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can normally remember what happens (admittedly I've only been in two high school fights and one bar fight). For me adrenaline might block the pain but I'm still rational. I'm not certain if I remember everything blow for blow, but I do remember most of the fight.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was younger I used to get emotional and not remember much. Now I usually don't even get an adrenaline rush and can remember almost everything.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 2:40pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP I think the answer is both cases are correct. This is just from my own experiences but what happens to me is this. I recall what I was doing, I tend to get the tunnel vision effect and so while I recall what i was doing I do not know what is happening around me and I tend not to feel any pain. This results in a clear memory of the event but not an accurate one.

By way of example I had a situation where I had to restrain someone with a headlock. The stress of the situation put me in that adrenal response mode. I remember what I said to the person, I remember how I got the person into the headlock but I was oblivious to what was happening around us. Such as for example when my head whipped back and I thought the person had grabbed my hair when in fact I had been hit in the back of the neck with a car club by a second person that I did not even know was there. I also supposedly was repeatedly punched in the testes by the person I was restraining but I did not notice or luckly feel that either. I did not feel these attacks and they didn't even phase me. Had I not been told what happened I would have told the story as I remembered it and been sure that was how it happened.

So yes you can remember what you did but that does not mean your account is complete or accurate because you may not be aware of anything else happening around you or even to you at the time.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast