Page 12 of 44 First ... 2891011121314151622 ... Last
  1. #111
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,512
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    So I am not sure what you are attempting to add to the discussion, and likely its why this all was moved.
    Well it was your blanket statement that you can't advance in judo unless you are a competitor or competition event volunteer that got me curious. In Canada, this is clearly not the case. A little googling shows it's not the case in the US, either. USJF has rank requirements as a non-competitor and unless my reading skills are lapsing or there's some unwritten stuff there, you can get by fine with time in grade and some service to your club or organization.

  2. #112
    Mtripp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Well it was your blanket statement that you can't advance in judo unless you are a competitor or competition event volunteer that got me curious. In Canada, this is clearly not the case. A little googling shows it's not the case in the US, either. USJF has rank requirements as a non-competitor and unless my reading skills are lapsing or there's some unwritten stuff there, you can get by fine with time in grade and some service to your club or organization.
    I guess you are just going to keep on this, so ok...

    How many people at your club got promoted to Sankyu with NO Shiai presence? They didn't play, they didn't ref, they didn't work the table, nothing. How many? NO ONE doing Judo for real would proclaim one does not need shiai experience.

    EVERY one of the "outs" you are speaking to are special circumstances for special people.

    How many clubs would be proud and proclaim "Our black belts don't fight!" I can't think of one.

    Yes, it is ver possible to get your black belt without fighting. However it takes longer, and still requires some connection to the Shiai world, that is what Coaching means.

    HOWEVER, Chuck says he was in USJA (which for some reason you fail to quote.) In UJSA, Juniors, which Chuck would have been MUST fight in a Shiai to get a promotion. Period.

    Now, you can continue to pic nits, however I suspect if we brought Nicolas Gill in here he might have a different viewpoint from Canada. Speaking of different viewpoints:

    http://www.judoontario.ca/

    Go there and download their club manual and notice how much time they spend on NON SHIAI matters.....
    Last edited by Mtripp; 6/23/2010 4:32pm at .
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

  3. #113
    Mtripp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and lets not over look this from the Judo Canada manual you are quoting from:

    The low number of points required is to encourage all judoka to participate in competition. While competition is not an absolute necessity in judo, that participation in competition is an important teaching tool and learning experience. Some areas of human nature that can be accessed only when subjected to a stress of competition and from this perspective, judo experience is much fuller with competition as part of it.

    For those judoka to whom competition is not possible or desirable, an equivalent would be to participate in tournament situations as a volunteer official- referee, timekeeper, scorekeeper or some other capacity. An appropriate equivalent would be 2 hours of time equals one competition point.

    Seems to me, that is EXACTLY what I said...

    oh, and from 4th kyu and up, in the Judo Canada grading manual, EVERY grading requires competition points. Did you miss that?
    Last edited by Mtripp; 6/23/2010 4:45pm at .
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

  4. #114
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,512
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    How many people at your club got promoted to Sankyu with NO Shiai presence? They didn't play, they didn't ref, they didn't work the table, nothing. How many? NO ONE doing Judo for real would proclaim one does not need shiai experience.
    Maybe half made it to sankyu with no competition experience. We run a family-oriented, non-competitive club. My son and I are probably the most regular competitors in the club.
    Yes, it is ver possible to get your black belt without fighting. However it takes longer, and still requires some connection to the Shiai world, that is what Coaching means.
    Not according to the details of the USJF regs for seniors. You can get credit just for teaching in the club environment, which doesn't necessarily mean coaching.
    HOWEVER, Chuck says he was in USJA (which for some reason you fail to quote.) In UJSA, Juniors, which Chuck would have been MUST fight in a Shiai to get a promotion. Period.
    Again, I don't see that in the USJA junior regs. You get a point for every 10 classes attended. Tournaments will get you there quicker but you don't have to attend, unless there's a rule I'm missing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Seems to me, that is EXACTLY what I said...
    What you said was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    You can NOT advance in Judo without some connection to Shiai.
    I can't find any evidence to back that unequivocal statement up. But I'll leave it lie. I agree that it's a side argument and not all that germane to the other discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    oh, and from 4th kyu and up, in the Judo Canada grading manual, EVERY grading requires competition points. Did you miss that?
    I did miss that, as I was looking at the dan syllabus. From a practical standpoint in Canada, kyu gradings are left up to the dojo. Our club doesn't require competition points but our ranks are recognized by Judo Canada.
    Last edited by NeilG; 6/23/2010 4:59pm at .

  5. #115
    Mtripp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did miss that, as I was looking at the dan syllabus. From a practical standpoint in Canada, kyu gradings are left up to the dojo. Our club doesn't require competition points but our ranks are recognized by Judo Canada.>>>

    Then your club is in violation of Judo Canada's published guidelines. I read the entire book and it is VERY clear the intent of Judo Canada is that EVERY member is connected to the Shiai in some manner. Rather than trying to prove me wrong, why not sit down and read your own manual and see what it says.

    As to USJA, are you a member? Ever promoted anyone in USJA? I understand you have some odd desire to prove me wrong here, but it isn't going to happen. Mainly because I am not wrong, you are.

    Again, read the entire Judo Canada manual you gave all of us the link to.

    PS: I suspect your ranks might not be accepted by Judo Canada if they knew you were not following their guidelines....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

  6. #116
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,512
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I think we've beaten this horse to death. If you are telling me that despite the wording of the regulations, every USJA dojo requires its kids to attend or help at shiai, I'll believe you. I'm saying that despite the wording of the Judo Canada regs, not every kid attends or helps at shiai. Frankly I think our club should encourage everyone to attend shiai but I don't make policy there.

  7. #117
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Fixed.
    100% correct.
    LOL check the article before "asshole" before you say it's fixed ;)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  8. #118
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    The SSN item is here:

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...&postcount=522

    The rest I believe was a private off site matter.
    It can't have been that much of a private off site matter considering the inference of the behaviour has been mentioned more than once.

    If it was serious enough to warrant what's happened openly recently, then outline of the behaviour Cy is essentialy accused of should be equally transparent.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  9. #119
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    It can't have been that much of a private off site matter considering the inference of the behaviour has been mentioned more than once.

    If it was serious enough to warrant what's happened openly recently, then outline of the behaviour Cy is essentialy accused of should be equally transparent.
    Dude, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.C._(comic_strip)

    GET IT??!!
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  10. #120
    Snake Plissken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,553
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    no.
    please expand.
    what's with all these cryptic posts every one has been making like they are trying to formulate a cypher for Kryptos.

Page 12 of 44 First ... 2891011121314151622 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO