Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Freestyle Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

judo vs bjj (need some opinions)

hello all I have took a few trial classes of bjj and judo. I can say that i would love to choose bjj over judo as i enjoy it more. though i was only allowed to drill. but due to my situation; judo seems to be an better choice atm. my goal for taking a grappling art is merely for recreation and perhaps tourneys to help progress. i would like others opinion/answers on these question. i list the order of importance and most of it involves $.

1))skin infections. after searching the boards it seem more common for bjj players to be infected with skin infections. i do not have medical insurance and this makes judo more appealing atm. (does showering and washing gi after each session sufficient 99.9% of the time?) and is there any indication as to whether injuries occur more in which art?

2)bjj $110 (6 days) vs judo $60 (4 days). money is a big issue atm, the extra $50 could be use for nutrition. traveling distance is similar. both schools have quality instructor(s). should i let $50/month deter my enrollment in bjj as the time spent in judo will go to waste when i get my fiance flowing again? what would be a rational choice here? im leaning towards bjj but not having medical scares me.

3)gi rotation. i understand that it is ok to use a judo gi in bjj. so i am thinking of buying some cheapo judo gi. would you recommend this option or buy a quality entry lvl gi like fuji? i have >$100 to spend on gi so I may just buy one and do bjj every other day to allow air drying.

*i understand i should not rush and take loads of classes each week as a noob. but i don't really have **** to do. i am aiming for 4 classes of judo/ 4-5 classes of bjj.

4) being broke sucks i hope my question are complete and i await the responses. and ty for your time.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by serey View Post
    2)bjj $110 (6 days) vs judo $60 (4 days). money is a big issue atm,

4) being broke sucks i hope my question are complete and i await the responses. and ty for your time.
    End of thread.

Your wondering which arm to favor? Use the right arm, that's Judo for you
    thickheads, while you're on a budget, and switch to the left arm later.

Style
    Freestyle Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if im equally good at masturbating with both hands do i posses the quality ambidexterity?

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a Golden Tiger Judo Gi. Cheap as $35 online. I STILL have my very first one from back in 1997. And yes, bathing after practice is the best policy to ensure you stay funk-free. I hope to hell they're cleaning the mats no matter where you choose to train.

And from what I've seen Judo schools teach more BJJ than BJJ schools teach Judo. Anyhow you gotta learn to take 'em down before you can hope to tap 'em out. Buttfloppin' is for sissies.

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by C0WB0Y View Post
    Get a Golden Tiger Judo Gi. Cheap as $35 online. I STILL have my very first one from back in 1997. And yes, bathing after practice is the best policy to ensure you stay funk-free. I hope to hell they're cleaning the mats no matter where you choose to train.

And from what I've seen Judo schools teach more BJJ than BJJ schools teach Judo. Anyhow you gotta learn to take 'em down before you can hope to tap 'em out. Buttfloppin' is for sissies.
    Agreed. A basic GTMA or Mizuno Judo gi works fine. The basic difference between Judo & BJJ gi are simply that the BJJ gi is generally slightly more tapered & form-fitting and the jacket is shorter. A well-fitting Judo gi does double duty easily.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with Judo. The skills you learn from Judo transfer over and in the future when you can start BJJ, you'll be a step ahead in the take down department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    Go with Judo. The skills you learn from Judo transfer over and in the future when you can start BJJ, you'll be a step ahead in the take down department.
    Second that.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Style
    Freestyle Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool thanks for the answers. deep down inside i wanna do bjj. but i guess patience is really a virtue. thank you all for your help.

ok so part 2 lol

i ask ppl in class and they say no protection is needed but if im doing judo can i wear a mouth guard and still look cool?

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by serey View Post
    cool thanks for the answers. deep down inside i wanna do bjj. but i guess patience is really a virtue. thank you all for your help.

ok so part 2 lol

i ask ppl in class and they say no protection is needed but if im doing judo can i wear a mouth guard and still look cool?
    Wear a cup (it's just the smart thing) but I usually only need a mouth guard when we do newaza.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Wear a cup (it's just the smart thing) but I usually only need a mouth guard when we do newaza.
    I agree. A groin protector is a must for stand up. Back in the days when I didn't know better, I had a sparring session with a green belt. he did a Sumi-Gaeshi on me, and caught my family jewels, first with his knee, and then his foot. When I wore a groin protector, the same thing happened and hurt a lot less.

Sumi Gaeshi

Page 1 of 3 123 Last