Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking into his coach and the tournaments right now. I know I'm not going to be considered an impartial judge here, so anything I find I'll be posting here along with whatever contact info is needed to verify it.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battheo View Post
    In the YMAS thread, I think Chuck posted the place and dates of the tournaments he participated in. I'm afraid I can't recall them. Mark, are official records kept of these times and places? Would it be possible to check the records and see if Cy's tournaments even exist in offiial USJA history?

He may well be lying, but it's not impossible that his coach was posing as a USJA representative and organising these thigs off his own back. Is it?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Judo to contribute anything more than questions. Sorry.
    The idea that there was a Shiai full of people fooled by one man is fatuous on its face. Mark Hunter will be in here to explain this, but you need so many people to run an event it would be impossible to pull it off. Again, please download those PDF files explaining how to set up a Shiai from the USJA web site and you will see my point.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Excuse me! It's not how this fiasco was handled that's the bigger problem, it is how it was started that created this fiasco!

If Cy has lied over his MA history (and it looks like it is according to the proof), he can't be considered a trustworthy investigator...so even if it pains me (since he's a friend) to say, I would ask the powers that be to remove admin and investigator rights from Cy's account...

a sad day indeed...
    Well, even though no one has asked me...

1. The jury is still out on how this will be handled. Currently it has not been handled at all.

2. How it started is not really the point now, is it? We are here now, and we can not go back. We can move forward which brings us to..

3. I do not think Chuck should be removed at all. Depending of course on how he handles this. Such things either make or break a man, and we do not know which one will happen to him. I suspect it will make him less of a "DA" and more of a "Journalist" and THAT is a good thing.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Again, I have NO DOUBT the man was issuing dojo papers. However, most people who do that do NOT take their people to Shiai's. Because you have to have membership cards with your rank on them to enter. It would be odd, would it not, to be a "Sankyu" while your rank card said you were a white belt?
    Agreed, it would be weird. Which is why I want to hear more from Chuck about the nature of these events.

No, the problem is the claim of being a fighter in his youth. Even "in house" Judo Shiai require EVERYONE on the mat to have a membership card in one of the big three. IF JUST ONE PERSON ON THE MAT does not have that card then NO ONE is insured. Read the forms I linked to.
    Isn't it possible that an instructor hosted a tournament at his dojo or other venue, called it a Judo Shiai, invited several local schools (who perhaps weren't associated with an official Judo organization), and pocketed to registration fee?

Obviously, Cy didn't participate in any Shiai that is recognized or hold any Judo rank(I have no doubt you did a very thorough search), but he may have truthfully believed he participated in a Shiai by his former instructor.

Finally, this fiasco should NOT in any way change your feelings about this site. HOW this fiasco is handled, THAT should.....
    Well, I don't much like how things are going and the amount of disrespect being shown by people here.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I'm looking into his coach and the tournaments right now. I know I'm not going to be considered an impartial judge here, so anything I find I'll be posting here along with whatever contact info is needed to verify it.
    Have a care....

...because if it turns out the Coach had NO USJA record either, it makes it much worse for Chuck.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea that there was a Shiai full of people fooled by one man is fatuous on its face. Mark Hunter will be in here to explain this, but you need so many people to run an event it would be impossible to pull it off.

A very good point.

Cy, would you mind going into more detail about these events?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a PM conversation that I just had with Mtripp it explains the problem with Cy's story to anyone that has not competed in a Judo tournament.

Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I competed in a Judo tournament but never held a rank in Judo. They made me buy a USJA membership in order to compete. I paid cash and I think they just handed me a card. Is this something that I should be able to track down?

Originally Posted by Mtripp
    Yep, and it is my point. It is not about the rank, its the claim of Shiai matches.

I doubt they handed you a card. Likely they handed you a copy of the paper work and the card came later in the mail.

Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    You're right. I thought about it some more and I definitely had a laminated card at one point. I carried it for a while because I thought it was funny that someone who was not ranked in Judo had a membership card. I'm really not sure if it was USJA USJF USJI or what though would that even make a difference?

Originally Posted by Mtripp
    None, EXCEPT, you had to join one of them to get on the mat, and they sent you a card. I need you to go and post this in the thread, please.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:02pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have a care....

...because if it turns out the Coach had NO USJA record either, it makes it much worse for Chuck.
    Why should that bother me? Either Chuck was telling the truth as he knew it and I will be able to verify that in some way, or Chuck falsified a 25 year old history and let me go to bat for him, in which case I will be perturbed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:07pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello
    Mark Tripp has asked me to join in this topic.
    Everything Mark has posted so far is FACT.

You can NOT hold an Event withiout having a Sanction in place through the USJA, USJI, or USF. If you have other true Judo Players in the event and they are members of one of the NATIONAL organization, they are at risk.

Everyone must have membership in a National Judo Org. to compete in Sanction Event.

You must be 17 to hold USJA Senior Rank unless you have to been in judo a long time and you have permission from the USJA Headqauters. The youngest I have seen is 15 years old.

When did these events occur? I have been in Judo since June 6th, 1970.

Mark Hunter
    USJA Regional Coordiantor
    President of Ohio Judo, Inc (USA Judo)
    Member of the USJF

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:13pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The events I'm currently looking at are two judo tournaments held between 1984 and 1985 at the Bergstrom Airforce Base in Austin Texas. If we can get any info about those at all it would be very helpful. I've contacted some folks who were involved with Judo at the AFB near that time and hope to hear from them soon. I've also contacted a couple of potential leads on Chuck's instructor, Bill Kitz. I've also contacted the Austin Community Schools regarding their judo program from that era to see if they can offer any information that might be helpful for me.
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast