Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 1:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    You nailed it.

It was a painful extraction with lots of screaming.

Thank you. I counted him as a friend for almost 3 years. This whole thing sucks.
    Indeed.

I think Mark T was also upset for some of the same reasons. It sucks to have to go against a friend and can make one very ornery.

The mind body example was well stated. When I was teaching college ethics I always loved the type of students who: after you spent almost an entire class explaining something like the connection between how a thought becomes an action and how we can never truly yet understand how this happens and how it has been a vexing problem since the ancient Greeks and Hericlitus and....

You see little bobby grinning as he raises his hand and he speaks "well gee mr Simon thats quite ashame it took them Greeks and that Descarted feller a bit... But don't ya worry see? I got it all figured out for you.:ingun:
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marks problem is and has been since I've known him from posting on the Internet, is that he lets the trolls get to him. I think that stems from the fact that he cares tremendously about Judo,how it is represented, and does not want to see everything from outright black lies to simple misguided/misinformed errors propogated about Judo. He loves teaching judo, as do I, and wants to help people understand and learn Judo the best way possible. I think Matt's professor analogy is a decent one.

Mark has in the past been subject to some very personal, one might say heinous attacks via the Internet from many different directions and people. He is gunshy because of his past experiences.

On the other hand, I've observed over the years that Mark tends to take himself way too seriously at times. I've seen him post his interpretation of limited english language historical "facts" and often keen insights about Judo and spin them into what he seemed to think were irrefuteable scholarly works. Given that he was the only one at the time willing to do anything about the garabage coming from the Gracie side of things, I understood where he was coming from.

I have a deep and abiding respect for Mark and his dedication to Judo, how he has fought the good fight for Judo over the years against all comers, and his real knowledge and understanding of Judo.

I won't always agree with Mark, but I will always listen to him.

Ben

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 7:24am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..//..My original post was at 06-20-2010, 02:19 AM. Tripp's first post about the Moose thing was on 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM. My best guess is that the Gong Sau thread was about 36 hours old when we figured out what had happened with Moose's dad's info.
    My opinion still stands.

Trip created this thread on 06-22-2010.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe someone mentioned that Mr. Kitz passed away, which means that avenue of inquiry is gone. Unless someone actually posts some new information, there is really very little to do.

As others said, the Judo claims are secondary to all the other matters.

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    I believe someone mentioned that Mr. Kitz passed away, which means that avenue of inquiry is gone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suppose you are said professor. Suppose that you tell your Psych 101 class that no satisfactory solution to the Mind/Body problem exists. Suppose your students claim that you can not make such a claim because you have not read every article in every journal, and so you may have missed it. Now, as an active member of the field, you know that no such solution has been published, else you would be aware of it. Your professional awareness of your own field essentially eliminates this possibility. Your students, from their point of view, may see your rejection of this possibility as closed minded or sloppy, but from your point of view as an expert you can see clearly that an exhaustive review of the literature is unnecessary.
    You aren't going to win me over with the professor-student analogies. As a professor...no matter how many Nobel prizes I won or books I have written, I would NEVER assume I knew everything about a subject. I would encourage my students to NOT take my word for anything I said in the classroom and to DO THEIR OWN research in the area and see what they find. As a professor I would never convey to my students that I am the last authority on a subject and I would encourage critical thinking which means questioning openly what I say.

So maybe Tripp needs to open his mind to other perspectives before he starts shooting his mouth off with accusations. He is the doctor that would chastise a patient for wanting a second opinion before surgery and if that is OK with you...good for you. I think it is very small.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Matt, thanks, you just saved me from having to dig up that post and explain her error to her. I was debating if it would be worthwhile as I was catching up on this thread.
    pointing out errors is always worth while, imo. I value what everyone says and I will indeed take a lot away from this entire exercise and I will be better for it. I missed your post and made an error in that sense. It might have made a difference, but here we are regardless.

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

I won't be contacting Mr. Kitz. I'd be embarassed to even attempt to explain to him why I want the information from him. It's simply not meaningful enough to me to do so.
    Do you have contact information for him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark has in the past been subject to some very personal, one might say heinous attacks via the Internet from many different directions and people. He is gunshy because of his past experiences.

On the other hand, I've observed over the years that Mark tends to take himself way too seriously at times. I've seen him post his interpretation of limited english language historical "facts" and often keen insights about Judo and spin them into what he seemed to think were irrefuteable scholarly works.
    There has been so much thru all these threads...it's all mushing together. I've seen in threads what he has gone thru with the internet and its honestly quite scary, but that doesn't excuse being condescending.

Maybe I didn't ask the questions the right way, or maybe I could have presented it better, I dunno. An unfortunate thing is when reading text there are no other cues to help you interpret it and sometimes that can create a real problem.

Maybe since this really doesn't matter that much, this investigation needs to end for the sake of the community. I would certainly abide by a community decision to do so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 4:54pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm missing something but who gives a **** about this thread. I mean 3rd Kyu is such a lowly grade it doesn't mean ****. Surely there are bigger fish to fry in the judo world. For a start Judo in the US has loads of legitimate high grade judoka who are ****. This is far more problematic than some blokes 3rd kyu.