Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    The teachers also do combined sasumata/pepper spray drills.
    I've had dates like that.

Anyway, thanks for the vid; was pretty interesting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    Oh, great. So they're kind of like a gun in a combination safe with a trigger lock and a separately stored key and ammunition, except when you finally get to them they don't work as well.
    I've seen wall-storage racks for these things that are obviously secure, and others that aren't. How the latter schools stop the kids from sasumata-jousting in the corridors is still under investigation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:43pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen wall-storage racks for these things that are obviously secure, and others that aren't. How the latter schools stop the kids from sasumata-jousting in the corridors is still under investigation.
    Maybe I should survey some of my kids.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re. livelier drills:

And now this picture finally almost sort-of makes sense:

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Picture 2 - Looks a bit risky. Once he gets to the ground the grips change, thus forcing the spearmen closer, risking slashing.

Video - I like how one woman gives him a love tap liver shot with the broom, that got his attention quick.

Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    That would actually work brilliantly in US schools against asshole kids.

You'd have to find a way to accommodate their enhanced carriage, but that should just be a matter of spacing the tines farther apart.
    What SFGOON said.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the private ownership of handguns almost impossible in Japan, whackjobs who want to go down and take a bunch of innocent people with them usually resort to swords and knives....
    Small point given the above. @ 3:05 or so in the vid the "scary man " can't reach the teachers because he has a knife, if he had a sword he would be able to reach them...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    Small point given the above. @ 3:05 or so in the vid the "scary man " can't reach the teachers because he has a knife, if he had a sword he would be able to reach them...
    Maybe there are different tactics/techniques for swords (?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 12:18am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an English teacher in Japan. I've seen these around the schools. They're usually randomly posted along the walls in the hallways.

But I don't think they're really locked up or anything. I'll take a look at them tomorrow.

As for the kids fucking around with them. Japanese kids are really well behaved. Even the "bad kids" are more well behaved than a lot of typical American students.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:34am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I currently work at a school. I've seen one of these things at the campus security office next to the front gate (it's a big school), and another propped against the wall nearby my office. As even the police here tend to not be able to handle 120 pound punks with 'scary hair' that sometimes stir up trouble on their noisy bikes, I doubt then that the average grade schooler or teacher could even begin to be able to take on a knife wielding maniac IRL. Still I think the idea of the device is intresting...perhaps they should have the naigatana team equipped with a live blade come in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 6:59am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ****, when I lived in Tokyo a guy I knew got busted by the cops for drunk and disorderly. He was a pretty huge guy (ex marine juicer with serious roid rage) so they took no messing from him at all. It was hilarious, the cops came into the bar in riot gear and what appeared to be a huge roll of sticky tape. This stuff was about a meter wide and rolled up just like kitchen foil. So they stand on front of him with it pulled out about two feet or so and ask him to come quietly to which he tells them to piss off. Next thing the cops rushed in and wrapped the fucker up inside this sticky tape - the stuff must have been extremely tough and as sticky as super glue because this guy flew into a mad rage but could do absolutely nothing. The funniest part was when the guy tried head butting one the cops and they pushed him over and carried him out like a rolled up carpet. Classic! Only ever saw that stuff being used once but I could imagine it coming in very handy against asshole students too.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast