Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:54pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Batista Headed To Strikeforce MMA

Batista Headed To Strikeforce MMA

TMZ.com broke the story on Monday morning that former WWE superstar Dave Batista is becoming a professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter.

The 6'5", 290 pound Batista was in Hollywood over weekend and told TMZ that he's headed to the Strikeforce MMA promotion, home of another former WWE superstar, Bobby Lashley.

Batista even told the TMZ camera guy that he already has his first fight lined up, but can't comment on it just yet.

There have been rumors for months that the 41 year old Batista would be following in the footsteps of Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. Now, its official.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/storie...eforce_M.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:56pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id rather see HBK.

Any guesses on how many fights he'll have before his body desintegrates?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:59pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will end very badly for him...

He was in town about 5 months ago doing some promotional stuff and one of our advanced white belts (300 lb guy) convinced him to roll no-gi. He subbed Batista pretty handily.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, he must have blown all his money and burnt all his bridges. Unlike say, Lashley and Lesnar, Batista is ancient for the sport (41!) and has a bodybuilding background rather than a legit wrestling base. Plus, he was very injury prone to start with.

Here's my guess as to how his debut will go:

YouTube- Kimo Leopoldo vs Bam Bam Bigelow

ETA: Or maybe not! Batista may have been going into business for himself:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/arti...-signed-105023

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read this morning that Strikefarce had denied this rumour......

Maybe a one off fight against Herschel Walker??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:20pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He needs to go to Japan where he won't have to cut down and can find other freak show opponents more suitable to him.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 8th degree Vulcan Logic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just made this prediction last night to my nephew, a huge sports-entertainment wrestling fan. I'm trying to get him to appreciate MMA, so I ran down who I thought would make the switch after Lesner. Batista was my #1 pick. Not for champion potential, but for marketing reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
    I just made this prediction last night to my nephew, a huge sports-entertainment wrestling fan. I'm trying to get him to appreciate MMA, so I ran down who I thought would make the switch after Lesner. Batista was my #1 pick. Not for champion potential, but for marketing reasons.

Why would they want to market a 41 year old injury prone former pro-wrestler?

His of no benefit to anyone at this stage of his life. 5 years ago maybe, they said the same thing about Kurt Angle. Only difference being that Angle 5 years ago could of ACTUALLY competed in MMA.

Lesnar was the one exception to the, "Pro wrestlers arent real athletes" bullshit arguement. We all know his credentials. We all know Kurt Angle's credentials.

Just what the **** does Batista offer?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From MOnkey Scrotum:

"Despite a rash of recent reports, former World Wrestling Entertainment performer "Batista" (David Bautista Jr.) has not signed with Strikeforce.

The 41-year-old aspiring MMA fighter "definitely has not signed" with the organization, Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz today told Monkey Scrotum.

Numerous reports of the supposed signing popped up this morning after TMZ.com issued a story quoting Bautista as having a deal.

Afromowitz declined to comment on anything beyond the denial of a signed deal. But additional sources told
    Monkey Scrotum offer a contract.

They stressed, though, that no such deal is imminent.

Bautista began on the pro-wrestling circuit in 2000 and joined the WWE in 2002. Although once one of the organization's most marketable stars, he cut ties with the WWE in May.

He could join UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and Strikeforce heavyweight Bobby Lashley as WWE vets who eventually made the move to MMA.

Although slightly smaller than his "billed" wrestling height of 6-foot-6 and weight of 290 pounds, Bautista would compete in MMA's heavyweight division. If the wrestler does sign with the California-based promotion, a bout with NFL veteran Herschel Walker, who made his MMA debut with Stikeforce early this year, could be a possibility given its marketability and both fighters' limited cage experience."
    Last edited by SaintHamish; 6/21/2010 9:44pm at .

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post

Just what the **** does Batista offer?
    A media-friendly can for Lashley. "THIS TIME IT'S REAL!" or something like that as an event tagline. Lashley would break Batista in half in a shoot and then pro wrestling, which still competes with MMA for an audience (really!) would have its suspension of disbelief with regards to its bodybuilder champions further damaged.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast