Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 2:17pm

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey uncle skippy,
    success on the choke. As long as im deep enough and tucking they cannot choke.(2 attempts)

However, being a long time since I read the blog and hit the mat (l hatez u work!) i Was thinking " What the **** do I do, now?". For a while I tried to sweep them (when they are not trying to choke) but with their 2 free hands they could base.

After a while I thought how am I going to do this?

In the end I support myself on my bottom elbow, underhook with left, quickly open the half guard and then turn clockwise. I end up on knees and use the right hand to pull on his left knee and push. (2/3 attempts)

So thanks, I have to reread your thread so I Can capture and remember everything.
    I'd also like to thank Kintanon, I just realized he had input on this too.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ouchboy View Post
    In the end I support myself on my bottom elbow, underhook with left, quickly open the half guard and then turn clockwise. I end up on knees and use the right hand to pull on his left knee and push. (2/3 attempts)
    I assume you are referring to something like the sweep at 1:00 here:

YouTube- LA Tour - Half guard dogfight sweep options

That sweep is a variation of the one I mentioned in 'Transitions out of Z-guard' above. I would emphasize the need for more head pressure and the use of the left knee to keep their weight forward. That's what works best for me at least.

Great to hear you're not getting D'Arced as much! There is a guy at a place where I train who would always lock that on from what seemed like any position. I got caught so many times until I asked him and he told me how to counter it (head to hip, good posture - not chin to chest). I still get caught now and then because he is damn good, but it doesn't seem like it is as much. Progress is always relative.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deep Half Guard

Let's get out of the way what Deep Half Guard looks like. Using the same position as above (right leg between the top person's legs, left leg out, and you are on your side with your left shoulder up), here is the position:

- Your left arm is around their right leg at the hip
    - Your right arm is between their legs, grabbing your other hand behind their hip
    - You head is pinned/glued to their left hip

Here is the general position but note that the guy on bottom here is already transitioning to a sweep. The position I describe above would have the guy on bottom still on his right side with his face in the top-guy's left hip.

There are variations where you don't underhook with your left arm (both arms wrap their left leg) and others, but we'll work from here and go into variations at another time.

Deep half guard is sort of the polar opposite of Far Half Guard.

In Far Half Guard, you are protecting your head by creating frames and distance from the person on top. Emphasis is placed on maintaining that distance while staying on your side/edge.

In Deep Half Guard, you are protecting your head by burying it in the top person's hip. Emphasis is placed on staying tight and preventing the top person from creating any space.

How To Get There

If you just dive quickly to try to get deep half guard, you WILL be crossfaced, flattened, and passed. That sucks. Don't dive in blindly. Instead, lets be smart transitioning into it.

Start with standard half guard.

1. Your right (bottom) arm cups the top person's left forearm to protect your head. If wearing a gi, get a good handful of sleeve and latch on.
    2. Your left arm shoots straight in around their right leg at the hip
    3. Your head shoots into DIRECTLY to their left hip and as soon as your forehead touches the hip, it does NOT come off.
    4. Your right arm shoots between their legs and grabs (gable grip) your left hand
    5. You pull your elbows to your body to cinch it up and remove any addition space

You are still on your right side when you finish this.
    If you think about it, the order is really 'top down': left (top) arm, then head, then right (bottom) arm.

If you do this out of order, the person on top will crossface/underhook your head, flatten you, and make life suck.

You MUST keep your head pinned to their hip
    . If it comes off, they will crossface/underhook your head, flatten... yada yada yada.

You must keep your elbows to your body to remove all space. If you don't, they will crossface/underhook your head, flatten... yada yada yada.

Now, general rules when in Deep Half Guard:

- Do not lie flat on your back unless you are DIRECTLY under their hips. If you are flat and not DIRECTLY under them, you will get stuck.

- Space is your enemy. If they start to create space, you must IMMEDIATELY address it.

- If they underhook one of your arms, you must IMMEDIATELY address it.

- (and anything else people want to add)...

Where to go from there

Go to YouTube and search for "deep half guard sweep" or "mike fowler deep half guard".

Once you watch a dozen or so, realize 1 major thing:

The key to sweeping somebody is to disrupt their base. I can't think of any better way to disrupt somebody's base than to actually become their base.

Slide your hips under their leg and your shoulders under their hips so that they are effectively sitting on you.

Now, play around here. You'll eventually realize that if you move an inch, they move 12 inches (evil grin).

I'll go into some sweeps in the next entry.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like some "coming out the backdoor" tips please. Also when coming up from the underhook defeating the whizzer when guys use it to hip into you and knock you over.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Also when coming up from the underhook defeating the whizzer when guys use it to hip into you and knock you over.
    Use their momentum, scoot your hips under, place your free hand under their leg and sweep back the other way. Like so: YouTube - Twist Back Plan B Sweep

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Use their momentum, scoot your hips under, place your free hand under their leg and sweep back the other way. Like so: YouTube - Twist Back Plan B Sweep
    One of my favorites to combine, however this also gets shut down as he bases out and if it's gi starts attacking the brabo choke. I'm having trouble finishing this sweep, especially if they guy is heavy and has a wide base. I was considering coming up to my knees using a different method hooking with my outside leg in an attempt to hip them over instead. Such as he does in the video but instead of staying with both knees down I'd step up with my outside leg, circle around and hip into them to knock out their base.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my favorites to combine, however this also gets shut down as he bases out
    How's he basing out? If he's switching his free leg all the way over (i.e. into reverse half guard) then I go straight to the sweep where you elevate the trapped leg with your hook, then your hand and come on top (anyone got good name/video for this? can't find it at the mo). If he's just freeing his whizzer hand to do it then there's nothing stopping you going to his back.

and if it's gi starts attacking the brabo choke.
    If they start fishing the whizzer arm inside to look for the brabo I control it at the wrist with my non-underhook hand and do the 'Plan B' hip movement underneath them, generally get the sweep that way or forcing them to backstep over/base their hand, in which case see above.
    I'm having trouble finishing this sweep, especially if they guy is heavy and has a wide base.
    I find it very effective on bigger guys (I'm about 145 pounds). The key IMHO is setting up the threat of pushing them over and then timing the sweep on their reaction, plus using the hooking foot to base on the floor and get your hips really close underneath them.
    I was considering coming up to my knees using a different method hooking with my outside leg in an attempt to hip them over instead. Such as he does in the video but instead of staying with both knees down I'd step up with my outside leg, circle around and hip into them to knock out their base.
    Haven't ever tried that. Isn't the whizzer stronger than your underhook in that position, though?

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    How's he basing out? If he's switching his free leg all the way over (i.e. into reverse half guard) then I go straight to the sweep where you elevate the trapped leg with your hook, then your hand and come on top (anyone got good name/video for this? can't find it at the mo). If he's just freeing his whizzer hand to do it then there's nothing stopping you going to his back.

If they start fishing the whizzer arm inside to look for the brabo I control it at the wrist with my non-underhook hand and do the 'Plan B' hip movement underneath them, generally get the sweep that way or forcing them to backstep over/base their hand, in which case see above.
    I find it very effective on bigger guys (I'm about 145 pounds). The key IMHO is setting up the threat of pushing them over and then timing the sweep on their reaction, plus using the hooking foot to base on the floor and get your hips really close underneath them.
    Haven't ever tried that. Isn't the whizzer stronger than your underhook in that position, though?

He will base out with whizzer arm but his arm is faster than my body and can recover the whizzer faster than I can take the back.

Concerning the hipping into them sweep. Because I have the underhook I can push into him and have better control over his body, the over hook allows him to pull me forward off my base and stops my movement to the back. If I post with my outside leg it makes it more difficult for him to knock me forward and allows me to drive my hips/weight stronger into him. I simply drive my weight into him in a circle like motion and he can't keep his base.

I'm also talking about a brown belt whos 5'8 200lbs of jacked muscle who rolls with me all the time soo this could be a case of well duh he's better and knows what your game.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinny Tim View Post
    I'd like some "coming out the backdoor" tips please. Also when coming up from the underhook defeating the whizzer when guys use it to hip into you and knock you over.
    OK. I've been drilling this and think I have a good way to phrase what I've found.

TL;DR: Get their weight on forward on their hands and keep it there.

Longer version:

(Assuming right leg is 'bottom' leg and left leg is 'outer'/'top' leg. Left arm has underhook, right arm propped beneath you)

When I'm setting up coming out the back, my left leg shoots straight and then I bring my knee up into their tail bone. My knee is providing constant pressure into their tail bone which causes the top person to shift forward (weight towards their hands). My foot is on the ground with my foot constantly 'walking' towards them to keep the pressure on.

At the same time my leg shoots straight, my underhook shoots down to their waist and I wrap my arm around them with my left shoulder touching their right hip. It is VERY important to take away the space between your shoulder and their hip; it will prevent the whizzer/overhook from killing your transition.

If they already have a half-assed whizzer (not too deep), the combination of your knee in their tailbone and the transition of your arm to their waist will minimize pressure from them. Try to keep your elbow as close to your body as possible to give them as little 'bite' as possible on your arm.

If they already have a deep whizzer, I will completely unwind my arm (big counter-clockwise motion) to unhook the whizzer. They will usually scramble to try to regain it which opens up the waist. Shoot for the underhook and drive your left shoulder to their right hip. If you still have heavy forward pressure with your knee, you can give them a 'bump' with it to get them to post their whizzer arm to open up the waist further. Recently, I've re-introduce the 'dive through' deep HG sweep to my game to counter deep whizzers (your vids in your journal helped).

The final piece of the puzzle it to be sure that you are sliding yourself around them (glue your hip to their body) instead of turning 'out' to knees.

You want to snake yourself around them, keeping forward pressure with your knee and your underhook.

When coming out the back:

If you pulled out your right leg in the process of coming out the back, you first want to get your left hook in to prevent them from dropping to a hip to avoid the back take. Their left hand will be planted on the mat so the left hook is usually relatively easy to plant (jam it in there). Your left hand (underhook on the waist) will transition and cup their right shoulder to get cross-body control to prevent them from dropping to their other hip. Then get your right arm through their armpit and connect your hands to lock up the right shoulder, left arm over their head for an over/under or whatever else you prefer. THEN get your right hook in.

If you kept your right leg in, you want to get immediate control of their left shoulder. You can feed their left lapel through their armpit to your left hand with your right hand. This is not great control, but it is a start and will give them problems if they try to drop to their left hip. For no-gi, a reverse-hook/gooseneck with your left hand on their left elbow or a hand through the armpit and cupping their shoulder will buy you time. Work your right hand up over their right shoulder and either grab their left lapel or get a chin-strap until you can get your body in position to secure the over/under. Once you have control of that left shoulder, start to work in the left hook.

I've slowly found that I need to secure the cross-body control before trying to put in my 'other' hook. If you try to get your hook first (which is relatively time consuming), you give them time to drop, roll and shrimp to escape.

Posted On:
    12/11/2010 6:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Skipper, you're right now that I think about it I'm not keeping the guys hands on the mat and off of me. This video helped me picture it. Vinny gets under his base, and disrupts it enough to force his opponent to post. What's been happening with me is the top man (whos significantly strong) has been underhooking my arm.

YouTube - The Rocker: Deep Half Sweep to Pass to Side Control
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast