You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 6:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsCG View Post
    Currently doing SL5x5 without access to a squat rack, so I've been using some fugly version of Power Cleans to rack up the barbell for Front Squats.
    This doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:14am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Sounds fine to me...
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:49am

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Well, the plan now is to get better form with Power Cleans before I proceed with adding weight to my Front Squats (no point in rushing, really). Reckon I'll go down to 40 kg or so and see if I can get a handle on proper technique. Racking the barbell across my shoulders/clavicles for the Front Squat is the main issue I've identified so far - should possibly work on my shoulder and wrist flexibility.

It strikes me that I maybe should have just dropped the mofo when the lift started to go pear shaped, instead of half-assedly trying to bring it down smoothly.

Regards,
    Lars

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the plan now is to get better form with Power Cleans before I proceed with adding weight to my Front Squats (no point in rushing, really).
    Yeah, the reason I didn't think it was a good idea is because with SL, your squat increases pretty quickly. If you're not good at doing power-cleans, you could end up wrecking yourself, but if you're willing to take things slowly I guess that's OK.

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 10:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your power clean is unlikely to keep up with your squat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Your power clean is unlikely to keep up with your squat.
    Fair point.

Still, until I've got regular access to a squat rack I'm sticking with Front Squats due to the added safety (fail on a front squat and you drop the barbell, fail on a regular squat without a rack and I guess you're likely to hurt yourself considerably more). Letting my squat be limited by my Power Cleans means I'll have to put in the effort of learning correct technique - and to be honest, it's a cool lift :new_smile

Regards,
    Lars

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair point.

Still, until I've got regular access to a squat rack I'm sticking with Front Squats due to the added safety (fail on a front squat and you drop the barbell, fail on a regular squat without a rack and I guess you're likely to hurt yourself considerably more). Letting my squat be limited by my Power Cleans means I'll have to put in the effort of learning correct technique - and to be honest, it's a cool lift :new_smile

Regards,
    Lars
    Failing on a back squat without a rack is just like a front squat: you just drop the bar.

There is some irrational fear about failing on a squat without a rack, even though olympic athletes have trained using only squat stands for decades with no crippling injuries whatsoever.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Failing on a back squat without a rack is just like a front squat: you just drop the bar.

There is some irrational fear about failing on a squat without a rack, even though olympic athletes have trained using only squat stands for decades with no crippling injuries whatsoever.
    I'm trying to imagine the results of failing on a regular squat without a rack, and I reckon you're right. With the weights I'm using at the moment (80-90% of body weight) I should just get the odd bruise and maybe tweak a wrist.

Still, could I ask your opinion on squatting without a rack - is Power Clean to Front Squat a viable way to go? I'm hoping to reach 1.5 times body weight - currently I weigh 89 kg (198-ish lbs I think) so that'd be 130-135 kg.

Oh, and sorry for the slight derail!

Regards,
    Lars

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 12:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own fear is not irrational. I once leaned a bit too far forward at the bottom of a back squat, buckled, and wound up having to roll the barbell over my neck and head. No injuries, but it was very scary.
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Don't learn from anyone at a regular gym, or football players. They think they know how but are usually clueless.
    eat **** buddy, i work with a guy who is a land down under rep for poliquin and competes in powerlifting. and my gym is the very essence of a regular gym.

/end usual PT rant

get a coach. or even better, dont bother with that **** because it really isnt neccessary at your level to be doing power cleans. if you really have to though, just go to the oly gym and ask for some coaching on it. depending on how body-retarded you are will dictate the time invested.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast