Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 11:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bushido Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fish oil is good for you, giving Omega 3's wich have a ton of benifits. The Omega 3's will help to keep your joints lubricated well. But with osteo arthritis, then you have to build the cartiledge back up and anti inflamatories help. The way I get it, it starts with swelling in the joints. This in turn wears the cartiledge down over a long period of time. Then you get little "cracks" and or wear spots In the joints themselves. You can also use Hemp oil wich is balanced with omega 3 and 6. They make several types of products like hemp milk, and protein shakes.

I heard a rumor that plain old gelatin would help to re-build your cartiledge. Jello is made mostly from bovine and porcine carteledge. Bovine cartledge is used widely in the "health food" world for helping to rebuild carteledge.

I have also heard that ginger is a great anti inflamatory. Supposedly they have been using it for this purpose for thousands of years in India. It will not upset the tummy, as it is also used for nausea. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 11:51pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use SAMe. Yes, it is pricey, and I was horribly skeptical when it was recommended by my doc. I was thinking, what the hell does this grape nut flake know? He's buying into this crap?!? But, pain being pain, and curbs being curbs, and pain looking at curbs made me figure, what the hell, give it a try. So I did. I went from taking a sh!tload of naproxen sodium every flipping day to, well, I haven't opened that bottle in a while. I mean, I was living on naproxen sodium. That was my elixir of life, that and coffee. And now? months go by without taking any. I'm a thyroid patient as well, so I take drugs on a regular basis. SAMe doesn't bother that condition. Just read up on it. Try it out if it interests you. It's a helluva lot less expensive that surgery, and I'm biking over 100 miles a week without problem. Oh, BTW, same doc told me fish oil. It didn't seem to help, so maybe if the fish oil doesn't help, then try the SAMe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 9:45am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    I'm not in the mood to citation hunt at the moment, but the evidence for glucosamine and chondroitin is tenuous at best. I believe that in a NIH study they tested the effectiveness in treating osteo-arthritis, and it had no greater effect than placebo. I have yet to see any solid evidence for the glucosamine/chondroitin mix which would warrant taking it in my opinion, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one.
    I'm with you on this. I took glucosamine/chondroitin daily for a month, and all I got from it was the trots.

It apparently works for some people, but I'm not one of them.

Oh, and Girljock... you're more of a man than I am, taking spoonfuls of that nasty stuff instead of capsules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 10:31am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Sue View Post

I heard a rumor that plain old gelatin would help to re-build your cartiledge. Jello is made mostly from bovine and porcine carteledge. Bovine cartledge is used widely in the "health food" world for helping to rebuild carteledge.
    I actually used to take gelatin for a spell. I might have to look into it again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post

Oh, and Girljock... you're more of a man than I am, taking spoonfuls of that nasty stuff instead of capsules.
    it's horrible. I gagged today, so I'll have to slather it on some eggs...or a salad or something. I know the next time I pour it out, I will gag...which might make for a funny video come to think of it. :icon_joke

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick update....

I got my script for a prescription from the doc on tuesday and finally got it filled Wednesday night. Took a pill (Mobic NSAI) around 4pm and didn't feel any relief by bed time, so I figured its not going to do squat. I woke up today and I feel like I have new knees!!! No joke. I still have some pain from my meniscus tear, but this is heaven compared to what I have been feeling lately. I just bought some FlameOut to...lol. Oh well I'm sure that won't hurt and is much better than choking down the liquid fish oil.

I am simply amazed that one pill can be the bringer of so much relief. Mobic....it's a Godsend.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glucosamine + chondroitin + MSM is good for cartilage issues. I've also been working my way through one of these at a rate of ~24/day. Cheap, and you can freeze 'em so you never even taste the oil. No ill effects that I can detect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12