Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fish Oil Mega Dose

Hi guys, did a search and didn't find anything quite relevant...so

I've been having horrible knee pain the last few months. I consider myself quite tolerable to pain, as I've always had aches and pains and if I didn't, I would probably think I was dead. Anyway, the pain kept getting worse so I finally went to the ortho. He thought for sure I had a torn meniscus in each knee, however the MRI revealed no tears. The X-Rays showed arthritis.

So he says all this pain is from arthritis-which is amazing to me. I look at steps with horror in my eyes because of the pain they will bring, but I digress. The pain is at a point where its debilitating. I can't bike anymore (did at least 45 or so miles a week prior) and I have great pain when even walking.... The doc wants me to take Mobic, but I dunno, those NSAI usually kill my stomach.

So...I guess my question is.... has anyone mega dosed on fish oil to help with inflammation and such? I did a google and read some articles, and I'm probably going to try it. Ordered a bottle of Carlson's today...so I'll give it a shot. Just wondering if any of you have tried mega dosing and what the results were.

Cheers

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live? Cold and damp are ruinous on the joints, a change of latitude might be a start.

Also, is it Osteoarthritis, or Rheumatoid arthritis?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Where do you live? Cold and damp are ruinous on the joints, a change of latitude might be a start.

Also, is it Osteoarthritis, or Rheumatoid arthritis?
    Osteo. I live in North East PA... can't say it's cold and damp.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlJock View Post
    Osteo. I live in North East PA... can't say it's cold and damp.
    Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic treatment page:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ost...ents-and-drugs

Looks like mostly hard core drugs, and medical procedures.

For what it's worth, some of my friends with joint problems take Glucosomene to reduce the inflammation.

I have bad knees too (from being overweight) and to stay active I've been going swimming a lot. That way I can do vigorous cardio without "shocking" my joints so much.

Good luck, and I hope you feelbetter.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 12:36pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glucosamine is the way to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 8:18pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My usual question is: how much water are you drinking very day?

Mega doses of fish oil, in my experience, usually lead to lots of time in the toilet. You need to take some kind of B vitamin complex to help absorb the oil, which may bring its own host of problems ( not being able to sleep, etc. )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 9:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had osteoarthritis in one knee (due to multiple injuries and surgeries) for over ten years, and the deformity of the joint is visible. I stopped training, running, and everything else for several years because it hurt so much, and some days I had to use a cane to walk. I started taking fish oil about six years ago, and it was like f---ing magic.

It works great for me, and not even in massive doses... I just take one 1200mg capsule a day.

Give it a try. I wish I had sooner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    My usual question is: how much water are you drinking very day?

Mega doses of fish oil, in my experience, usually lead to lots of time in the toilet. You need to take some kind of B vitamin complex to help absorb the oil, which may bring its own host of problems ( not being able to sleep, etc. )
    I try to drink at least a gallon a day, sometimes more. I've read about the GI issues with a lot of fish oil... my dad in making fun of me already (from his cod liver oil days)

I think I actually have a Vit B complex in my stack...I'll check.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 9:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    I've had osteoarthritis in one knee (due to multiple injuries and surgeries) for over ten years, and the deformity of the joint is visible. I stopped training, running, and everything else for several years because it hurt so much, and some days I had to use a cane to walk. I started taking fish oil about six years ago, and it was like f---ing magic.

It works great for me, and not even in massive doses... I just take one 1200mg capsule a day.

Give it a try. I wish I had sooner.
    I'm doing it!! I took a tablespoon of Carlson's today. I'm going to try and take 2 for about 4 weeks (read that on T Nation or someplace) to get the inflammation down. Taking that oil is horrible (not the taste, just the oil going down). I think I would rather take thirty pills!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Being the active person that I am....this not being able to do anything is killing me. I can not believe arthritis is this painful.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 9:31pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not in the mood to citation hunt at the moment, but the evidence for glucosamine and chondroitin is tenuous at best. I believe that in a NIH study they tested the effectiveness in treating osteo-arthritis, and it had no greater effect than placebo. I have yet to see any solid evidence for the glucosamine/chondroitin mix which would warrant taking it in my opinion, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one. This thread talks about it some: 2.5 Billion $ study of alternative medicine - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

In terms of fish oil, I haven't experimented with so-called "mega-dosing" though I take it anyway on the basis that it doesn't really seem to have any negative side-effects, and everyone is constantly singing its praises including my regular doctors. I believe that vitamin E rather than B is what is needed for proper absorption, but unless it's causing you awful bathroom trips I wouldn't be overly concerned about it personally.

I've been on a quest to find an alternative to NSAIDs for a bit, and have mostly come up short on the basis that the so called alternative medicine field lacks the same kind of long-term studies I'd like to see before putting something in my body regularly.

"Devil's Claw" shows some promise, but has not been tested for long-term safety.

Bromelain seems to be somewhat worth while, but must be taken properly, and can have nasty side-effects for people with grass allergies (me).

SamE is supposed to work quite well, but might interfere with other medications, and is quite pricey.

Curicumin gets a fucking ton of love, but in the studies run it seems to be given intravenously, and it has a low bioavailability otherwise. Absorption rates greatly jumped with the introduction of piperine, but piperine may be dangerous to be taking at all from what I understand.

In short: no magic bullets out there, please let the rest of us with aches and inflammation if you find anything good.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast