Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do/Kali/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Off to College

Hey I'm going to Kent State University starting in August and I've done a lot of internet research about schools in the immediate area but I didn't see anything too promising. I really want to start competitive MMA and I have previous training in Jeet Kune Do and stuff (lol). If anyone could help me out with some suggestions that would be awesome. I'm actually not sure if this was the right board to post this on but forgive me

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you really serious about competing in MMA? Even if you aren't going to make a career out of it.

The best way to go about this is obviously to sign up for a reputable Mixed Martial Arts school and learn all-around game (by that I mean standup, standup grappling, and ground fighting (jujitsu)).

If you aren't SUPER serious, or money and time is an issue, pick a good fight sport style and learn. Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai are the three main ones. San-Da is good also. I personally like regular kickboxing but for MMA it does not cover any clinchwork-- Sanda/sanshou is probably the best for this.

Wrestling (greco, freestyle, etc) also make up a foundation of MMA but if you train that you will not know anything else; some good MMA schools make it part of their curriculum.

Boxing is also cheap and good instruction is widely available. Even a little bit of pure-boxing training can help you a lot, but if you are dead-set on MMA I would not stick with "just boxing" for more than a few years.

Check out the dojo review section of this website for good schools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your school might have some sort of club as well. When I went to Boston Uni, they had a jiujitsu/MMA(mostly bjj though) club and it was pretty damn good. They also brought in some actual instructors which was nice. Most people there weren't dicks, nor were they paid, so it was just more of a hobby for them. I've done a class with a black belt instructor who was fucking horrible compared to them.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See what's available at your university and surrounding town.
    The biggest obstacle I can see is balancing school with training; when I was in college, I was lucky if I could make it to BJJ practice twice a week.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am definately serious about fighting. I guess my dream would be to go professional so yeah. But I've looked everywhere and the best thing I could find was a judo club at kent so I dont know how that'll be. Judo seems really interesting to me but I'm not sure if that's enough to compete. And college will probably keep me pretty busy but I don't wanna stop training
    Last edited by Mooshoo; 6/21/2010 3:16pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    See what's available at your university and surrounding town.
    The biggest obstacle I can see is balancing school with training; when I was in college, I was lucky if I could make it to BJJ practice twice a week.
    I trained for two weeks before my work caught up with me. I have not trained since, and will not have time to train until I graduate. It is really difficult balancing school and training.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 3:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained for two weeks before my work caught up with me. I have not trained since, and will not have time to train until I graduate. It is really difficult balancing school and training.
    That's depressing for me. As spoiled as it sounds, I don't want to wait 4 years!

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA heavy on the jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooshoo View Post
    That's depressing for me. As spoiled as it sounds, I don't want to wait 4 years!
    I know plenty of people besides myself that balance school and training accordingly. Stay on top of **** and you'll be ok. If you wanna dick around and be drunk 4 days out of the week it will be more difficult.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll find time. I did my first year of law school training for a fight, teaching kickboxing, and getting C's in all my classes. Oh, I also tracked my motorcycle and ****. Doable. lol

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Business View Post
    I know plenty of people besides myself that balance school and training accordingly. Stay on top of **** and you'll be ok. If you wanna dick around and be drunk 4 days out of the week it will be more difficult.
    That's wise advice. I'm still at a loss about where to train though!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast