Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taiji Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin in UK

who was this? I didn't realise there were any monks at Shaolin temple UK, is it the one in Tuffnel park?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Seconded.

Minor point: I witnessed a Staff demo in the Shaolin Temple UK a couple of years ago (and Hard Qi Gong) and I liked it. I would enjoy learning that and it would complement the Bo/Okinawan Bo forms that we learn. It was very skilfully done and the Sifu (an actual Monk, as opposed to a disciple) made the point that the Staff was the only "weapon" used by the Shaolin Monks. That rung true for to my ears. After all, hikers have long used Poles/Walking Sticks to assist their Climbs, fend off wild dogs etc.

Anyway, more please. Thanks

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 5:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do understand that anyone, under the right tutelage, can be come a monk?

http://www.shaolintempleuk.org/index.php?q=shifu_yan_zi

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 5:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taiji Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You do understand that anyone, under the right tutelage, can be come a monk?
    I was under the impression been told Yan Zhi and his younger brother Yan Lei who are the two main instructors are martial disciples rather than Buddhist monks and have never been ordained as religious monks. They drink, eat meat party, have girlfriends etc..Strictly speaking Buddhist monks are prohibited from doing so.
    Anyone can be ordained a monk that I am aware of, maybe at McShaolin they skip the religious training requirement of being a monk.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 5/04/2010 5:58pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 6:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Told? Okay, we aren't going to screw up this thread with a debate, by one novice and a guy who heard arguing, about what monks can and can't do.