Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
    ...I will never be able to have a high post count without posting. Speaking logically, of course.:icon_bigs
    Post count =/= post content.

But I would observe that the former will never rise very high if all your posts get trollshidoed due to lack of the latter. What do you find so awesome about the video? Does it make a valid point? Is it just funny? Is it both? Commenting on these aspects will add content to your posts.

Just sayin'.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That vid was retardo. & why's he picking on that kid with the helmet? shouldn't that kid be on a short bus somewhere?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 8th degree Vulcan Logic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Post count =/= post content.

But I would observe that the former will never rise very high if all your posts get trollshidoed due to lack of the latter. What do you find so awesome about the video? Does it make a valid point? Is it just funny? Is it both? Commenting on these aspects will add content to your posts.

Just sayin'.

I find it ironic that the auteur of the video in question uses a demonstration of a peach rubbing against concrete to demonstrate the inherent uselessness of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a real violent self-defense encounter for a number of reasons:

1. If a relatively experienced BJJ practitioner (blue belt or higher from an accredited program) actually rolled on the concrete, the attacker would likely get "concrete peached", not the person who has said attacker in their guard or trapped in a mount/has swept them to the ground.

2. The human anatomy is vastly different from that of a common prunus persica.

It is also ironic that, despite his intense hatred for Joe Rogan and Eddie Bravo (and the marijuana plant), 10th Planet seems to be entirely unrepresented in the video, as no demonstration of the rubber guard, twister, etc. versus any type of Chinese martial art is shown. The title is misleading. Also, if such a demonstration would be presented as a argument, a No-gi practitioner that descended from the techniques primarily taught by Machado should represent the "10th Planet", and should be pitted against an expert of self defense in both TKD and Wing Chun. This instead shows what appears to be a lost video audition for The Jersey Shore (MTV) with said prospective cast member fighting a "woman or ten-year-old boy".

Finally, I believe that throwing one's keys at your assailant is the easiest way to get carjacked and/or prevent you from leaving a potentially dangerous situation (martial arts rule #1), and would in reality have little effect as a distraction.

Unless your keys were made of sand.

So yes, this video is awesome. As in "I am in awe that someone believes a flurry of fists is effective as a self defense measure, and if that fails, throw your keys at their face". Awesome.
    Last edited by RedMonkey; 6/21/2010 1:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:36am

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay, on one hand he is right, and on another he is wrong. BJJ is the absolute best thing that ever happened to the ground game and grappling. You need to learn it. You dont need to be a black belt; but you need it. However alot sport juijitsu is pretty impractical on the street. its also pretty damn impractical when your a blue belt and the guy attacking you is any rank higher. thats why you need to cheat. if i was put in an armbar I would bite. If i was in an RNC i would bite or eye gouge,especially if i see his buddies comin to kick my face in or my opponent is clearly better than me ie I couldnt escape. Seriously, real fights are even more violent than mma matches soley because, in a bar fight or street attack, i may go home under a white sheet. and it happens. I dont want that to happen, so ya know what my paradigm is? Get as good at bjj as I can, and then figure out ways that make size skill and strength moot points, because there will always be someone better than you at BJJ, but no one can desensitize there eyes or groin or not pull away as I bite through their limb

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    \ if i was put in an armbar I would bite. If i was in an RNC i would bite or eye gouge
    You are what's wrong with martial arts.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it ironic that the auteur of the video in question uses a demonstration of a peach rubbing against concrete to demonstrate the inherent uselessness of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a real violent self-defense encounter for a number of reasons:

1. If a relatively experienced BJJ practitioner (blue belt or higher from an accredited program) actually rolled on the concrete, the attacker would likely get "concrete peached", not the person who has said attacker in their guard or trapped in a mount/has swept them to the ground.

2. The human anatomy is vastly different from that of a common prunus persica....
    should someone inform this kung fu-er that grapplers don't make of habit of rubbing their "peach" back & forth on concrete? That sounds like some obscure kung fu conditioning anyways...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:45am

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it ironic that the auteur of the video in question uses a demonstration of a peach rubbing against concrete to demonstrate the inherent uselessness of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a real violent self-defense encounter for a number of reasons: etc

Finally, I believe that throwing one's keys at your assailant is the easiest way to get carjacked and/or prevent you from leaving a potentially dangerous situation (martial arts rule #1), and would in reality have little effect as a distraction.

Unless your keys were made of sand.
    question ever rolled on concrete? ever been on the bottom of a giant greco guy from the midwest whos trying to wail on ya? it sucks bro. you get your elbow all cut up, and forget about bridging on your head, **** dude concrete goes through scalp like paper. so he is right and he is wrong. BJJ is the best thing from ground game. But the ground is not a place you want to be especially when its summer on black top that 100 degrees.

oh and throwing keys, or trash or even your cap at someones face in a fight, while not as effective as sand, distracts them and makes them flinch just long enough to get two good punches in,
    but for the record BJJ is awesome. Just going to the ground is always the best thing outside of the cage. but you sure as hell need it just in case

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:46am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen videos of this clown before, infact I'm pretty sure some of his **** was posted a couple of weeks back.

Old news really, typical "I think this would work" and then they drill it in a compliant manner and VOILA, apparently that means it works.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 8th degree Vulcan Logic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, real fights are even more violent than mma matches soley because, in a bar fight or street attack, i may go home under a white sheet. and it happens.

Real fights are not protracted encounters that last 3-5 minutes like an MMA round either. Usually one of the people in the fight ends it quickly, because either:

a.) They do not intend to kill you, so they strike/roll then get up or allow themselves to be separated and then leave/nullify the event.

b.) The violence was a ruse as a means to another end, i.e a robbery. Now that they have your car/wallet/hostage, they leave/nullify the event.

c.) They intend to kill you, and they either succeeded or failed, so they leave/are incapacitated/killed/arrested trying to commit murder or having committed murder.

In real life, a fight lasts a couple of minutes max until one of the three above scenarios plays out. Everything else is how Hollywood portrays violence in the movies. So the real goal of martial arts is to be aware enough to stay out of these kind of situations, and if you do find yourself in one you can't get out of, to end it quickly and decisively so that you can remove yourself from the situation. It's always about NOT being in the situation, not seeing "who can whup whom" in the situation. That's what sport fighting is for. All other situations probably require firearms proficiency. Preferably longarms and backup if possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:50am

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay, on one hand he is right, and on another he is wrong. BJJ is the absolute best thing that ever happened to the ground game and grappling. You need to learn it. You dont need to be a black belt; but you need it. However alot sport juijitsu is pretty impractical on the street. its also pretty damn impractical when your a blue belt and the guy attacking you is any rank higher. thats why you need to cheat. if i was put in an armbar I would bite. If i was in an RNC i would bite or eye gouge,especially if i see his buddies comin to kick my face in or my opponent is clearly better than me ie I couldnt escape. Seriously, real fights are even more violent than mma matches soley because, in a bar fight or street attack, i may go home under a white sheet. and it happens. I dont want that to happen, so ya know what my paradigm is? Get as good at bjj as I can, and then figure out ways that make size skill and strength moot points, because there will always be someone better than you at BJJ, but no one can desensitize there eyes or groin or not pull away as I bite through their limb
    Paragraphs are thine friend.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast