Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 3:07am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Yeah, he graciously sacrificed his life to save "the mission" and got sucked out of an aircraft at 35,000 ft. By graciously, I mean he was pissed about it...especially since they used him a lot in their previews/advertisements for the movie even though they didn't credit him in opening credits and he was in the movie basically as a cameo.

Actually, he claimed somewhere that the way he goes, does not necessarily means that he died....

Yes, I'm ashamed of knowing that...

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 3:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ouchboy View Post
    Actually, he claimed somewhere that the way he goes, does not necessarily means that he died....

Yes, I'm ashamed of knowing that...
    I did read somewhere (no idea if this is true or not - I suspect that it's somewhat of an exaggeration) that Seagal's character was originally going to die by way of exploding head, due to decompression. Then Seagal got upset when it came time to actually film it, made some phone calls and had it changed, under threat of walking off the movie.

You know, when I first saw that film, I was expecting him to reappear at some point, having survived in some phenomenally unlikely manner...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 3:32am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    I did read somewhere (no idea if this is true or not - I suspect that it's somewhat of an exaggeration) that Seagal's character was originally going to die by way of exploding head, due to decompression. Then Seagal got upset when it came time to actually film it, made some phone calls and had it changed, under threat of walking off the movie.

You know, when I first saw that film, I was expecting him to reappear at some point, having survived in some phenomenally unlikely manner...
    From IMDB:

Originally, Travis was to die due to low cabin pressure causing his head to explode. Steven Seagal refused to shoot this scene for fear his fans would not like it. Director Stuart Baird insisted he must do it as scripted, though Seagal held up filming for a few days and argued that the scene was not realistic. Finally after threat of contractual breach, Seagal agreed to return to filming and a new death scene was scripted.

In any case, It would have been an epic win if instead of Seagal, It was Chuck Norris on that video( the training one, not that crappy movie).
    Last edited by ouchboy; 6/22/2010 3:41am at . Reason: pointless quote.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:37am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4 View Post
    Maybe Silva feels so undefeatable that he's looking to challenge himself by pulling off ridiculous moves in fights a la Genki Sudo.

But what are we going to do if he actually manages to do some of this stuff???
    well.. If somebody in this world can pull it of it must be Anderson. Anderson could probably win this fight blindfolded anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 1:13pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am an aikitard and I have not heard anyone others say Silva as their own...that's a gay. Doom on them.

@ ouchboy, don't feel bad about having Seagal knowledge. While many youngsters throw hate his way....people like me think of him fondly for his first 4 or 5 movies. He really was one of the first dudes I remember to show some no-**** realistic violence like money-shots of bones being destroyed (and when I was 13 I would sneak over to my karate sensei's house and watch Seagal movies with my sensei's son...first rated R movies I watched). As an aikido guy, however, I resent him now for his douche-iness, and really have always regarded him as just an above average technician in aikido given his rank (not the end-all, be-all many think him to be....most his rank after 4th dan was honorary).

Yes, he probably did a good breakfall from the F-117 and landed safely somewhere in Europe. Executive Decision 2 to follow, starring Seagal.

There is an MMA guy who's father is an aikido teacher in England. The English MMA guy has used aikido techniques his father taught him successfully in fights...he is working on posting clips on Youtube per requests.

Our dojo has a variety of martial arts...and most people cross-train as its a flat monthly rate regardless of styles/classes taken. We like to mix up techniques in other arts. We were doing an aikido wrist lock called a nikajo from a half guard bump the other night. We have also done a modified rotary throw (kaiten nage) from a sprawl defense of a shoot that leads to jujigatame in the past. During sparring drills on Sunday we did an aikido tech called aiki otoshi (same technique has a different name in jujitsu but can't remember it) which leads to a one or two-leg take down and subsequent G n P or leg lock. I've also done an arm locks from aikido that I do a Kani Basami out of.
    Last edited by daishi; 6/22/2010 1:17pm at .

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    @ ouchboy, don't feel bad about having Seagal knowledge. While many youngsters throw hate his way....people like me think of him fondly for his first 4 or 5 movies. He really was one of the first dudes I remember to show some no-**** realistic violence like money-shots of bones being destroyed (and when I was 13 I would sneak over to my karate sensei's house and watch Seagal movies with my sensei's son...first rated R movies I watched). As an aikido guy, however, I resent him now for his douche-iness, and really have always regarded him as just an above average technician in aikido given his rank (not the end-all, be-all many think him to be....most his rank after 4th dan was honorary).
    Is that a commonly held opinion amongst the Aikido community? The impression that I've been left with from my browsings here and there (quite probably wrong) is that the common opinion (excluding the rabid nutriders) is along the lines of 'The guy's an ass and he sets a poor example - but he's got mad skillz'.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it say how long Seagal is training with Silva? Seems like to me this was just a 1 or 2 day thing that was done for press or something.

It also seems like Silva is just humoring him. The way Silva acts like it hurts when Seagal is just pushing his shoulder seems to say he's faking it all to me. The guys are probably all laughing about the moves he was teaching them at the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:49pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding is that Seagal is a fairly good friend of one of the Black House managers/higher ups. Basically Silva went along with this as a favor to that guy, after Seagal had asked for the chance to "train" Silva.
    I'm hoping this is true. I seriously doubt we'll see anything that's being taught here being attempted at all, somehow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 6:00pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Larus,

Seagal definitely has skill...and, in my opinion, a refreshing level of skill compared to what I am used to seeing in most organizations...but it is by no means "mad skillz" or anywhere near the best I've seen. .Like I said...I think "above average for a 7th dan" is an appropriate statement...I wouldn't put him in my top 15 fav's though. I'm not sure how common this sentiment is, probably more than you think. I guess the main point to make is that, unlike many actions stars (particularly back when Seagal was real big)...Seagal was actually a no-**** martial artists who trained in a traditional manner on a consistent basis in a traditional martial art.

Many aikidoka don't train outside their organization...or at least outside aikido. I know prob most aikido guys on here do...but in my experience the majority don't (although this is usually common per dojo more so than style of aikido...some dojo encourages outside/cross training, some don't really every mention it...the biggest attitudes amongst aikidoka are the one's who 'don't get out very often' or who've trained so long their students/uke give them respect and make all their technique work easily).

Travis,
    this was just like a one time deal that I know of...it was worked out by a mutual acquaintance (its mentioned elsewhere on this, or another, website/thread.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 6:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iratebadger View Post
    I'm hoping this is true. I seriously doubt we'll see anything that's being taught here being attempted at all, somehow.
    You know, part of me wants to see him win by iriminage, the likes of which God has never seen. Just to see the shitstorm erupt... :snorting:

EDIT: Cheers for the musings, Daishi.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast