Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CdP, is there any chance you will be coming to ISMAC in Detroit? Most of the other guys into old-school pugilism will be there.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    CdP, is there any chance you will be coming to ISMAC in Detroit? Most of the other guys into old-school pugilism will be there.
    I'd like to, but I'll have to see what my funds are like. Looks like it'd be at least a couple hundred dollars, and right now I'm a recent college grad trying to save up some money. I'll see what it's looking like at the end of the month.

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 11:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    I'll try it in Muay Thai sparring.

Some kicking techniques that we use when we spar in his modified WTCRE come from Savate:
    chasse bas (1st techniques), coup pie bas (at 0:22) and the kicks at the back of the leg (0:37 to 0:40)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7SJsIIX4pM
    Those hacking kicks to the back of the leg hurt a lot more than they look. I've had good luck with them, but I tend to use them to the outside of the thigh about half way between the knee and hip. I've seen them used in muay thai too. The coup de pied bas is probably going to be one of the few kicking techniques that'll be used in the group.

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 11:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this project has been going horribly. I've pinned up some flyers here and there and solicited among my old kung fu and karate training partners, and have had some interest but not enough to actually show up. I've ended up all by myself in the park doing Indian club workouts instead when nobody shows up. I think I'll give it a little more time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing anything out of the ordinary in MA is a hard road to hoe. The percentages keep dropping the more specialized your interests become ... keep at it, though. Have you tried asking around online (San Diego MA forums or something)?

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Well, this project has been going horribly. I've pinned up some flyers here and there and solicited among my old kung fu and karate training partners, and have had some interest but not enough to actually show up. I've ended up all by myself in the park doing Indian club workouts instead when nobody shows up. I think I'll give it a little more time.
    It takes time.

With us at the Boxing where with three to five tops. How more specialized, the less people attending, sad but true.

Maybe you should make some pr in the McDojo kind of way: "learn to fight like Robert Downey jr did in Sherlock Holmes", to spark some interest in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 10:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    It takes time.

With us at the Boxing where with three to five tops. How more specialized, the less people attending, sad but true.
    My old park sparring groups were always 2-5 of us, but that was fine. I'd love to have 2-5 people for this thing, but I can't seem to manage that either.

Maybe you should make some pr in the McDojo kind of way: "learn to fight like Robert Downey jr did in Sherlock Holmes", to spark some interest in it.
    I'd hate to have to attribute any of my martial arts success to Robert Downey Jr.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Anyway, as far as instructional videos, I first got into this stuff with Carl Cestari's bareknuckle boxing video, which I would recommend. The only thing I wish he added is where he gets all of his material (he references sometimes but not often) but that's fine since he's trying to teach fighting skill, not a history lesson.
    If you can track down Ralph Grasso, who trained for a long time with Carl, he might be able to answer something about that. I think I still see him posting on the DDLR Yahoogroup.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123