Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 9:10pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I'm kinda right in the middle of San Diego. I'm working on making up some fliers for SDSU and UCSD. Ocean Beach is actually fairly close and I spend a good amount of time there.
    I think OB will be a good bet for you. It has a lot of eccentrics and the bars are a good place to put fliers up at. That place with the 20-something types of beer on tap would be a great place, as would that one Irish pub. It's been a while since I've been there but I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started a facebook group and set up a place and time. We'll be starting up next week, so we'll see what happens. Here's the page:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...39528176058212

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 11:23am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started a facebook group and set up a place and time. We'll be starting up next week, so we'll see what happens. Here's the page:
    Luck!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I became a member, but I'm not going to be fysical there (commuting Belgium-San Diego is maybe over the top, even for a Bully).
    Yet you can always punch me spiritual in the face under London Prize Fighting rules.

Once the group takes off, will you make instructional vids? Just curious to incorporate some of it into my Muay Thai since I saw the latest Sherlock Holmes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 7:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    I became a member, but I'm not going to be fysical there (commuting Belgium-San Diego is maybe over the top, even for a Bully).
    Yet you can always punch me spiritual in the face under London Prize Fighting rules.

Once the group takes off, will you make instructional vids? Just curious to incorporate some of it into my Muay Thai since I saw the latest Sherlock Holmes.
    Cool, new members are always good. I might make some videos later on, but I want to iron out some stuff with lots of partner work before attempting that. I could imagine that some of it could be useful in muay thai. Hey, we've all seen this old muay thai pic, right?

Anyway, as far as instructional videos, I first got into this stuff with Carl Cestari's bareknuckle boxing video, which I would recommend. The only thing I wish he added is where he gets all of his material (he references sometimes but not often) but that's fine since he's trying to teach fighting skill, not a history lesson. He's been discussed elsewhere on the site, more or less favorably. I've been pounding the heavy bag with that stuff for a few years and have done my best to incorporate it into my weekly sparring with Chickenbeakfist (we got together on Sautrdays to spar in the park for like 2 years), but I feel like so much of really developing pugilism is through interactive partner drills leading into sparring, and it's this 2 person drilling area that I want to develop my skill and comfort level doing and explaining. There's actually some old pugilism methods I found useful for stifling Chickenbeakfists attempts to use his judo on me.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 1:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys with who I study BJJ and spar Boxing, uses Wing Tsun Combat Re-evolution of Sifu V. Gutierrez (Spanish guy) in his Boxing.

I have to say that my friends background is Savate and Muay Thai before he started with Seisui Do karate (Belgian hybrid of Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Judo, Freestyle Wrestling and Escrima). So what he uses from WTCRE looks more like LPR (the Sherlock Holmes version) than WT. I took some techniques over like the vertical fist and attacking under angles, but it's still in its kiddy shoes for me.

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    One of the guys with who I study BJJ and spar Boxing, uses Wing Tsun Combat Re-evolution of Sifu V. Gutierrez (Spanish guy) in his Boxing.

I have to say that my friends background is Savate and Muay Thai before he started with Seisui Do karate (Belgian hybrid of Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Judo, Freestyle Wrestling and Escrima). So what he uses from WTCRE looks more like LPR (the Sherlock Holmes version) than WT. I took some techniques over like the vertical fist and attacking under angles, but it's still in its kiddy shoes for me.

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.
    One of the things I've been playing with lately is using a leverage block (check out the block used in this video: YouTube- Bartitsu Basics - Pugilism 1.wmv ) as an entry to grab the back of the head with the forearm braced on the chest/collarbone to restrict their movement both forwards and backwards (I'm sure you know about this from muay thai, that's why I mentioned it). From there, the pugilist might use his other hand to strike the face/head, or this can be used to pull their head into a standing guillotine or front facelock (when getting a chancery, the proper way is to grip the head and pull it under the opposite arm rather than to try to encircle it with the same arm since this is easilly countered). Another possibility with the leverage block is that since the hand is already extended forward and up at a distance where they're trying to punch you, you can grab their hair above the forehead and pull their head down to take away their ability to use their hips effectively to punch or kick, then start throwing uppercuts to their face (this one was called the seize and fib). Soap was applied to the hair to make this difficult for your opponent (Mendoza actually lost a critical match because his opponent grabbed his hair and beat the hell out of him). Anyway, that's the stuff that struck me as things that would mesh well with muay thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 1:34pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joined your group to show some support. I'm not always in San Diego but I occasionally find myself in the OB area. I'd be totally down to meeting up on the odd day and attending some of your events when I can, since pugilism has always been an interest of mine and striking is an area of mine that I need work on.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 3:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the things I've been playing with lately is using a leverage block (check out the block used in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgDWruigs-g ) as an entry to grab the back of the head with the forearm braced on the chest/collarbone to restrict their movement both forwards and backwards (I'm sure you know about this from muay thai, that's why I mentioned it). From there, the pugilist might use his other hand to strike the face/head, or this can be used to pull their head into a standing guillotine or front facelock (when getting a chancery, the proper way is to grip the head and pull it under the opposite arm rather than to try to encircle it with the same arm since this is easilly countered). Another possibility with the leverage block is that since the hand is already extended forward and up at a distance where they're trying to punch you, you can grab their hair above the forehead and pull their head down to take away their ability to use their hips effectively to punch or kick, then start throwing uppercuts to their face (this one was called the seize and fib). Soap was applied to the hair to make this difficult for your opponent (Mendoza actually lost a critical match because his opponent grabbed his hair and beat the hell out of him). Anyway, that's the stuff that struck me as things that would mesh well with muay thai.
    I'll try it in Muay Thai sparring.

Some kicking techniques that we use when we spar in his modified WTCRE come from Savate:
    chasse bas (1st techniques), coup pie bas (at 0:22) and the kicks at the back of the leg (0:37 to 0:40)
    YouTube- Savate défense - Techniques de base

The real deadly:

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Joined your group to show some support. I'm not always in San Diego but I occasionally find myself in the OB area. I'd be totally down to meeting up on the odd day and attending some of your events when I can, since pugilism has always been an interest of mine and striking is an area of mine that I need work on.
    Great. I should note that even though there's gonna be a lot of striking, a good deal of the time will be spent on clinch and standing wrestling drills (and possibly adding in some purring if people can get decent shin guards).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast