pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

thinking about starting a historical pugilism group in San Diego

I've been thinking about starting a training group based on the old LPR boxing manuals I've come across over the years (special thanks to Kirk Lawson). I have four years experience teaching kung fu, so I'm used to directing a group for sparring, drilling etc, so I'm thinking that + a whole lot of reading will let me start my own little pugilism experiment. I've been playing around with a lot of the material on my heavy bag for a few years, but haven't been able to work the stuff with a partner. I was thinking of something along the lines of the bartitsu group- more of a recreation/experiment than anything else. Any advice from any of the experienced WMA folks?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of advice are you looking for?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:20am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Any advice from any of the experienced WMA folks?
    Expect slow growth unless you can find a marketing niche. Historic arts, MMA, something that will pique interest that you can link it in to.

Often the hardest part is finding the first training partner.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    What kind of advice are you looking for?
    -any thoughts of where to get the word out?
    -any existing groups that do that kind of thing?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Kirk said ... Classic pugilism is cool but it can be hard to raise interest in obscure HEMA training, even in a city the size of San Diego. OTOH the very fact that it is unusual can be turned to your advantage re. perking peoples' interest; you're more likely to get media attention/exposure than the average stripmall dojo.

Unless you already have a training partner or small group that might be into learning LPR boxing, it would be worth considering "attaching" your study group to an established MA school or event while you're starting up. Is there a local SteamPunk scene?

The nearest experienced historic boxing instructor to you that I know of is Tim Ruzicki in Seattle - http://sallesaint-george.com/tim . I've worked with Tim and he's a great guy - would be a worthwhile contact for you.

I'd also suggest joining the ClassicPugilism YahooGroup - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism/ - for advice, contacts etc.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 3:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    What Kirk said ... Classic pugilism is cool but it can be hard to raise interest in obscure HEMA training, even in a city the size of San Diego. OTOH the very fact that it is unusual can be turned to your advantage re. perking peoples' interest; you're more likely to get media attention/exposure than the average stripmall dojo.

Unless you already have a training partner or small group that might be into learning LPR boxing, it would be worth considering "attaching" your study group to an established MA school or event while you're starting up. Is there a local SteamPunk scene?

The nearest experienced historic boxing instructor to you that I know of is Tim Ruzicki in Seattle - http://sallesaint-george.com/tim . I've worked with Tim and he's a great guy - would be a worthwhile contact for you.

I'd also suggest joining the ClassicPugilism YahooGroup - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism/ - for advice, contacts etc.
    Thanks for the group info, I just applied to join the group, and I've been browsing there for a while. I also shot Tim an email. I've got a few interested martial arts friends that are in, and am working on some publicity. I've found that one of the pitfalls I'm trying to avoid when designing a session is to make it strictly based on the historical methods rather than other things I've done before. I'm not sure where the San Diego steampunk scene is, but I know I've seen them with their big watches and gentlemanly attire.

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 9:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when u advertise, calling it the original mma (assuming u do bartitsu) is sure to pull some people in

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:00pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in San Diego are you? I think you should consider advertising at local brew-pubs or universities, if those are near you. I know Stone would be into that sort of thing, if you are in Escondido. If you are in the Southern areas of SD, I'm sure Ocean Beach could work for you.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
    when u advertise, calling it the original mma (assuming u do bartitsu) is sure to pull some people in
    He's talking about setting up a study group for 1800s style boxing, which is also practiced in Bartitsu.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Where in San Diego are you? I think you should consider advertising at local brew-pubs or universities, if those are near you. I know Stone would be into that sort of thing, if you are in Escondido. If you are in the Southern areas of SD, I'm sure Ocean Beach could work for you.
    I'm kinda right in the middle of San Diego. I'm working on making up some fliers for SDSU and UCSD. Ocean Beach is actually fairly close and I spend a good amount of time there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast