225055 Bullies, 3911 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 28
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    thinking about starting a historical pugilism group in San Diego

    I've been thinking about starting a training group based on the old LPR boxing manuals I've come across over the years (special thanks to Kirk Lawson). I have four years experience teaching kung fu, so I'm used to directing a group for sparring, drilling etc, so I'm thinking that + a whole lot of reading will let me start my own little pugilism experiment. I've been playing around with a lot of the material on my heavy bag for a few years, but haven't been able to work the stuff with a partner. I was thinking of something along the lines of the bartitsu group- more of a recreation/experiment than anything else. Any advice from any of the experienced WMA folks?
  2. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,772

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 10:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of advice are you looking for?
  3. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:20am


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Any advice from any of the experienced WMA folks?
    Expect slow growth unless you can find a marketing niche. Historic arts, MMA, something that will pique interest that you can link it in to.

    Often the hardest part is finding the first training partner.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
  4. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    What kind of advice are you looking for?
    -any thoughts of where to get the word out?
    -any existing groups that do that kind of thing?
  5. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,772

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:56pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Kirk said ... Classic pugilism is cool but it can be hard to raise interest in obscure HEMA training, even in a city the size of San Diego. OTOH the very fact that it is unusual can be turned to your advantage re. perking peoples' interest; you're more likely to get media attention/exposure than the average stripmall dojo.

    Unless you already have a training partner or small group that might be into learning LPR boxing, it would be worth considering "attaching" your study group to an established MA school or event while you're starting up. Is there a local SteamPunk scene?

    The nearest experienced historic boxing instructor to you that I know of is Tim Ruzicki in Seattle - http://sallesaint-george.com/tim . I've worked with Tim and he's a great guy - would be a worthwhile contact for you.

    I'd also suggest joining the ClassicPugilism YahooGroup - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism/ - for advice, contacts etc.
  6. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 3:00pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    What Kirk said ... Classic pugilism is cool but it can be hard to raise interest in obscure HEMA training, even in a city the size of San Diego. OTOH the very fact that it is unusual can be turned to your advantage re. perking peoples' interest; you're more likely to get media attention/exposure than the average stripmall dojo.

    Unless you already have a training partner or small group that might be into learning LPR boxing, it would be worth considering "attaching" your study group to an established MA school or event while you're starting up. Is there a local SteamPunk scene?

    The nearest experienced historic boxing instructor to you that I know of is Tim Ruzicki in Seattle - http://sallesaint-george.com/tim . I've worked with Tim and he's a great guy - would be a worthwhile contact for you.

    I'd also suggest joining the ClassicPugilism YahooGroup - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism/ - for advice, contacts etc.
    Thanks for the group info, I just applied to join the group, and I've been browsing there for a while. I also shot Tim an email. I've got a few interested martial arts friends that are in, and am working on some publicity. I've found that one of the pitfalls I'm trying to avoid when designing a session is to make it strictly based on the historical methods rather than other things I've done before. I'm not sure where the San Diego steampunk scene is, but I know I've seen them with their big watches and gentlemanly attire.
  7. Dactyl is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 9:10am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when u advertise, calling it the original mma (assuming u do bartitsu) is sure to pull some people in
  8. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:00pm


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in San Diego are you? I think you should consider advertising at local brew-pubs or universities, if those are near you. I know Stone would be into that sort of thing, if you are in Escondido. If you are in the Southern areas of SD, I'm sure Ocean Beach could work for you.
  9. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,772

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:14pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
    when u advertise, calling it the original mma (assuming u do bartitsu) is sure to pull some people in
    He's talking about setting up a study group for 1800s style boxing, which is also practiced in Bartitsu.
  10. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    6/25/2010 4:56pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Where in San Diego are you? I think you should consider advertising at local brew-pubs or universities, if those are near you. I know Stone would be into that sort of thing, if you are in Escondido. If you are in the Southern areas of SD, I'm sure Ocean Beach could work for you.
    I'm kinda right in the middle of San Diego. I'm working on making up some fliers for SDSU and UCSD. Ocean Beach is actually fairly close and I spend a good amount of time there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.