Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    What about me.. what do I get ?
    you get to shower with me after the euro td.
    i mean, you will come right?
    :-p
    i know ill come..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:45am

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to understand this correctly, Cy has no dan rank in anything, and his MA history is now in question?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    So to understand this correctly, Cy has no dan rank in anything, and his MA history is now in question?
    Over simplistic way to put it. Chuck never claimed Dan ranking. He claimed to have a Sankyu, which is a third degree brown in Judo, and being an active Judo player in his youth.

Some questions about this were raised, I am the resident Judo guy, so I began looking into it. Based on Chuck's own comments we know his Sankyu rank was not from USJA, or any other US Judo group.

I am now asking other questions to try and trace his record so that we can track the problem to its source. Likely it is yet another BS artist scamming money from his students. If so, I have something to try on the ass clown that has never been tried before. I just need more info before I attempt it.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what was the name of the school he received the rank from, did i miss that somewhere i this thread? What was his instructors name etc? Did i miss that in the thread also?

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what was the name of the school he received the rank from, did i miss that somewhere i this thread? What was his instructors name etc? Did i miss that in the thread also?
    Well, we are trying to find that out.

People have been offended, others are lashing out, and it makes this all the harder. People are actually blaming Judo for this problem, and I guess me next, rather than taking a deep breath and saying, lets get all the facts.

I can only go on what I have been told, and what the big three tell me...
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:09am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Mwahahaha... This is really a saying?! AWESOME!!!

And as to Costner, have you already watched the latest Robin Hood?

Costner was a bit on LSD, but at least it was light-hearted and funny. And had Alan Rickman.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089332/

Saying, TV show, all that kind of thing.

On the topic, I read through this whole thing without comment, and still wish to reserve all judgment on the matter until Coach Tripp clears up some Judo things.

Though, I would add two things. First, I not only like Chuck, but he's helped me with some of my own work as a reporter in the past when I've done stuff related to work already done at BS. So, he is a resource.

Second, I'm very proud of my reputation as being one of the more ethical MMA writers out there, but I openly admit that when I first got into this business I joined a glorified news blog and played up its importance to help a relative unknown get credentials and interviews.*

When dealing with companies or media managers I even intentionally tried to make them assume I was with the print media of the same name to better facilitate my access. No direct lies mind you, and I would clarify when pressed. But I knew I was being shady in order to get in places because I felt the deception was tangential to the good work that I'd be doing.

I bring this up because I could see someone trying the same thing, say with a low judo rank many years ago that no one cares about, just to try to get into the community that he would be valuable to. I'm not saying Chuck did do that. In fact I hope he didn't as to not take away from any of the work he's done that I personally feel was well done. Plus, Chuck always struck me as dead honest and far more dedicated to the site's mission than he had any reason to be, so I would like to think I'm a good judge of character.

I'm just saying I could see it happening with the best of intentions. It's just a slippery slope because I feel the majority of misrepresentation in the martial arts probably starts with the feeling that a little white lie doesn't matter as long as you do a good job. And we all know where that goes. One of the reasons I'm constantly downplaying my own training on here.

Not terribly productive, I know. Like I said, I'm reserving judgment. Just sort of trying to think it through with words, actually. I hate it when mom and dad fight.

*In fact, that very blog, that I still write in from time to time when I have a good article idea that's off topic with the other places I write, is still up next to my name. Wish I knew how to change it to my bigger and better venture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why doesnt Cy just post it, doesnt seem too difficult. If he cant post the name of the dojo or the instructor, i dont think the problem is "judo". Seems like thats the place to start.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:15am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it was buried under this shitstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    At last! Thank you.

My training history, in toto:

1983-1985: Judo, studied under Bill Kitz in Austin, TX, a registered shodan with the USJA. I made sankyu but have not kept up my dues. I'm told this means I'm still sankyu, which is mostly a joke, given what follows.

2001: Northern Shaolin kung fu at East Wind Training Hall under Donald Finley. Never got much past the initial shaolin chuan material.

Late 2009-2010: Tried to re-enter judo. Trained at a white belt level, badly, with some students at U of Minnesota. Aggravated an old ruptured disc between L4 and L5 with an extrusion impinging on the nerves of the left leg. Leg is now mostly numb and occasionally unresponsive to motor commands.

Still able to fax forms, file reports, write investigations, code, and occasionally dance for the amusement of passersby.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<1983-1985: Judo, studied under Bill Kitz in Austin, TX, a registered shodan with the USJA. I made sankyu but have not kept up my dues. I'm told this means I'm still sankyu, which is mostly a joke, given what follows.>>>

So, the questions are:

1. How old were you in 1983 when you began Judo?
    2. When did you get your first promotion and at what age?
    3. When did you enter your first Shiai, and at what age?
    4. Of course we continue with the record of your promotions from white to brown.

FYI EVERY USJA coach is supposed to issue his players a "record book"

http://www.usja-judo.org/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=URM

EVERY player and coach are supposed to keep that up to date and current. If they did, WE WOULDN'T HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS. The real problem is people are not doing what they are supposed to, and it always hurts the little guy in the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 10:29am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, I think he answered you on your first question (well, almost) way, waaaay back in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    I was 16 in 1985.
    you can deduce that(13-14?) from there.
    Last edited by baby_cart; 6/21/2010 10:31am at . Reason: fixed link