223872 Bullies, 3499 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 411 to 420 of 1004
Page 42 of 101 FirstFirst ... 323839404142 434445465292 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,650

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 10:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    I will be out of touch for the next... 66 hours or so because there are very big (very good) things afoot. Between now and then, I am going to do my very best to pretend this whole thing was a fever dream, as opposed to everyone losing their minds.

    YouTube- Good Album Friday - Thrice - Beggars (2009) - 01 - All The World Is Mad
    Glad to hear something is going right today. Call me whenever you like.














































    ?
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 6/20/2010 10:34pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
      #411
  2. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,650

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 10:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my new suggestion for the Bullshido.net fight song
    YouTube- The 4 Skins - One law for them
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
      #412
  3. CharlieWoopAss2 is offline
    CharlieWoopAss2's Avatar

    The Third Man

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    516

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 11:11pm


     Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    I can't speak to your unstated reasons for starting this thread given that they're, you know, unstated. But of the ones you've actually seen fit to publish:
    -not much training, stopped due to injury, may never resume training, still thinks he has a role to play here
    -hasn't published details of his credentials
    -allows people to think he has a stronger formal background than he actually does in main area of participation
    -being very pissed off with both Ohlenkamp and Arce over their shenanigans*

    That right there describes me to a T, and that's one reason why this thread was a spectacularly bad idea. Maybe some of the stuff you've held back so far is going to snatch worthwhile from the jaws of this clusterfuck, but I can't act based on information I don't have. The best theory I have re: the information that I do have is that Sirc has hacked your account and is creating a diversion from the last shitstorm he stirred up.

    I'm not exaggerating. Things really do look that bad.

    What do I want? Simple.
    I want Arce to pull himself together and in an unambiguous and concise manner explain precisely what his training and military histories are, with appropriate documentation. He may already have done this, and if so, that's the end of that.
    I want any problems with any of Chuck's investigations to be brought forward so they can be corrected without further delay, so as not to bring any disrepute to these forums.
    I want one of the following:
    -evidence that Chuck's training history is materially as he has represented it, OR
    -evidence that Chuck knowingly and substantially misled Bullshido about his training history, OR
    -(most likely) evidence that Chuck was himself misled about his training history, and Mark Tripp's boot lodged squarely in the ass of the responsible party.
    And as far as anything I haven't covered above, I want you to make whatever case you have the evidence for, and put away hearsay and rumours, because you are better than that.

    An aside:
    When I went to sign up for martial arts, I went to look up a few prospective schools, and I found reviews of them on Bullshido. This gave me an idea of what to look for, and I was able to verify the BJJ lineage of my instructor. Later, when I switched to judo, I was similarly aware of the importance of validating instructors' credentials, which fortunately included competition in the Olympics and World Masters (I also found out my "submission grappling" instructor had a pro MMA record consisting entirely of losses, but that's another story). I understood why they gave me a little piece of paper along with my yellow belt, and I realized it was conceptually important to film my first (and only) tournament.

    If this had happened twenty-five years ago, I wouldn't have known any of this. There was no Bullshido, there was no Google, there wasn't even much NHB to speak of. I would have wound up doing fucking wushu and thinking I had t3h d3adly.

    My point with this aside is that the level of due diligence that can be reasonably expected from a sixteen year old colored-belt in 1985 is not the same as from a black belt who is active in the modern day.






    * I just about lost my mind when Arce challenged sambosteve - present thread notwithstanding, he's one of my favourite posters.
      #413
  4. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 11:14pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have weighed in on this earlier, but I didn't know there was going to be a **** STORM so I got myself banned for the weekend by being a douchebag.

    Matt, War Wheel, Buddy... ARE YOU GOD DAMNED RETARDED?!
    I thought it was common knowledge that Chuck had previously done some judo, but was currently not training. He doesn't claim to train, he doesn't try to use his martial arts experience as the basis for his investigations. He brings in people like Sambosteve, Mark, JNP, etc... who do have the martial arts background to verify skill level and ****.
    HE HAS A DIFFERENT SKILLSET.

    Now, a lot of people are asking why you started this thread, what's your problem, blah blah blah... I don't give a **** about that ****. I thought you were cool, turns out you're not, whateva.
    What I want to know is, what result are you looking for here? What is the desired effect of this thread for you? Do you want Chuck to stop posting? Do you just want him to stop investigating Steve Arce? Do you want the mods to give you oversight authority over his investigations? What exactly IS your goal in this thread?

    Oh, and if you just want to fight someone... **** you, come fight me dickhead.
      #414
  5. Squerlli is offline
    Squerlli's Avatar

    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NO! SLEEP! TILL BROOKLYN!
    Posts
    3,683

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 11:21pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some weird reason I could totally go for some funions and young's chocolate stout.
      #415
  6. CharlieWoopAss2 is offline
    CharlieWoopAss2's Avatar

    The Third Man

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    516

    Posted On:
    6/20/2010 11:40pm


     Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Stop re-using the same image.

      #416
  7. Lebell is offline
    Lebell's Avatar

    Just waiting for the paperboy.

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,496

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:01am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post

    What about posters like Lebell, Zendokan, Tripp, Russ, etc. that at least don't have the tendency to pay Teabag Ironfist with everyone who annoys them?


    Mad Admin Staff seems mad.
    wait...what???
    you suggest im mod material???
    LMAO!!!
    No way!

    I think Dave makes a fine mod, you just dont know him too well yet.

    Anyway, i just thought of something which might seem silly at first..but:
    How about when new members join up/register make em fill in a little ' more about me' form, instead of or in combination with Newbietown?
    Just 3 to 5 simple questions, including the question: what would you like to get out of Bullshido?

    example in mycase:

    Quote Originally Posted by fictional bullshido questionaire
    1-What ma's did you train in?

    BJJ-Sanda-Judo etc.

    2-What are you currently doing?

    Trying to sort out a backinjury, lots of yoga.

    3- what would you like to get out of Bullshido and what could you contribute?

    To me its more of a social thing, im also interested in reading the investigations but as most are in the USA and im in Europe i wont be much of help.
    If someone would like to know things about dutch articles or teachers or needs a place to stay or tips where to train just shoot me a pm.
    It seems a bit weird but when you think of it, other posters can now read those entries, thus avoiding misunderstandings.
    Yes we already have profiles, yes we wil have idiots who keep filling in 'the d34dly lolol' in their style field, but i do think it would be an improvement.
    i do not know however if its worth all the effort, or even whether it would take alotta work to introduce sucha questionform.
      #417
  8. Kickapoo is offline
    Kickapoo's Avatar

    Sick double leg.

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perrineville, New Jersey
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:02am

    supporting member
     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I would have weighed in on this earlier, but I didn't know there was going to be a **** STORM so I got myself banned for the weekend by being a douchebag.

    Matt, War Wheel, Buddy... ARE YOU GOD DAMNED RETARDED?!
    I thought it was common knowledge that Chuck had previously done some judo, but was currently not training. He doesn't claim to train, he doesn't try to use his martial arts experience as the basis for his investigations. He brings in people like Sambosteve, Mark, JNP, etc... who do have the martial arts background to verify skill level and ****.
    HE HAS A DIFFERENT SKILLSET.

    Now, a lot of people are asking why you started this thread, what's your problem, blah blah blah... I don't give a **** about that ****. I thought you were cool, turns out you're not, whateva.
    What I want to know is, what result are you looking for here? What is the desired effect of this thread for you? Do you want Chuck to stop posting? Do you just want him to stop investigating Steve Arce? Do you want the mods to give you oversight authority over his investigations? What exactly IS your goal in this thread?

    Oh, and if you just want to fight someone... **** you, come fight me dickhead.
    He is not looking to fight 'someone', he would like to fight Chuck.
      #418
  9. Kid Miracleman is offline
    Kid Miracleman's Avatar

    Rowsdower!

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown!
    Posts
    3,249

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:25am

    Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just keep getting this mental image of Matt in full-on "foppish dandy" attire, pacing about Chuck's front door with a dueling pistol and shouting "Come, Charles! Come and face me, thou rogue... thou uncouth devil, face me!"

    Meanwhile, Chuck is inside his studio apartment, looking out the window and muttering "What da hail? Dis nigga be trippin'."
      #419
  10. sambosteve is offline
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,888

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 2:03am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the tasks involved in this mission are undertaken nearly exclusively by volunteers. Mr. Koepfer, I would assume that based on your time with the ASA, you have some understanding of the importance of attracting and retaining volunteers. And if you were to reflect on it, you would understand how undesirable and counterproductive it would be to establish disincentives for the participation of productive volunteers.
    I am very aware of the issues surrounding volunteers from various aspects of my life...as well as the important nature of voluteers here. But, I disagree that criticising a current investigator or discussing the best traits of an investigator is a disincentive. Lack of volunteers here at BS is a huge, seperate issue that has been a long standing problem long before Chuck or myself or Matt were even really active here. I will conceed that the massive amount of infighting these past years would be a disincentive...as I have certainly lessened my participation as a result. But, most of that has been in private, off forum discussions. So, it really may be the general dis-satisfaction of many volunteers that show through here on the forum. A general energy as it were.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Now, if you have a problem with something in particular that a given volunteer has done, by all means, correct them so that the problem can be fixed and not repeated.
    I have had private discussions with Chuck regarding these current issues, and others in the past regarding concerns. All of us have who volunteer here. To think any of us have not is simply wrong. In fact most of us communicate with each other on a very regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    But unless you and your fellows - those with black belts, instructor tags, and competition records - are willing to shoulder the load yourselves or see the work neglected, you should not give the less-accomplished volunteers good reason not to participate.
    Be careful with the "you" suggestion...I hope you are not suggesting that I have not shouldered some work load around here. Because if you are, you are WAY off base.

    Now, I can't speak for other "fellows" of mine, but I do agree that the general lack of people willing to put the work in here is pathetic. This is obviously not directed at Chuck. While Chuck and I may have disagreements, I never claimed he did not work his ass off. If we had more volunteers with his drive, this site could really go places.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    So now I will ask you this, because you've earned the benefit of the doubt:
    Do you have an issue with a particular instance of Chuck's participation in an investigation that you'd like to see addressed?
    I will say that, in terms of the Arce investigation, Chuck knows my concerns, we have e-mailed about it, and had conversations in confidence about it. So, I will not comment directly on that out of respect for confidentiality.

    But, I will say that in general in my opinion, there is a trend with Chuck's investigations to be quick wrap ups which tell selective stories (increasing focus on military)and are generally trending away from martial arts (his lack of martial arts interest comes into play here). I believe that some of the recent investigations have been rushed and, in the attempt to publish more investigations (maybe to appear prodigious?), articles are becoming diminished in quality. Investigations today seem skeletons of what were much more in depth pices in the past.

    I would prefer to publish one solid, in depth, every stone turned investigation a year (like Kujawski for example), than 15 quick ones which risk missing points or telling incomplete stories. It is my belief that there is a drive to publish investigations which highlight partial stories, but serve to present our site's fraudbusting in a better light, rather than take the time to tell a complete story...no matter how it may make our site look.

    I believe there is a fundamental philosophical disagreement going on amongst the investigative folks here (not just Chuck) about what makes a solid, repeatable, and ethical investigation. The Cliff notes version is that I believe there is a current trend to go for quantity over quality...in part because of pressure to put out articles. In effect a rebound for having not completed so many articles in the past. I believe we have gone too far in the opposite direction.

    My suggestion would to be to go back and read investigative threads and their recent companion articles. I suspect you will see final articles which tell different stories than what were discussed in the investigations.

    As an example, I would suggest reading the Mark Bailey investigation and Chuck's final write up. I think you will see much of the story neglected (much of the martial arts related investigation) in favor of the busted military claim. In essence the final article does not represent the spirit and focus of the entire investigation.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 6/21/2010 2:27am at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

    "disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
      #420

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.