Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 6:27am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably take up MT first. Looks more fun (subjective, I know) and I can get home earlier.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 6:31am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    and you forgot that you had to sex 'em up first
    Unless you lose, then you have to sex them up after.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 11:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 8th degree Vulcan Logic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    dude you have no fucking clue. I live in IOWA atm and everyone freakin wrestles. everyone.bar fights always go to the ground, everyone goes for the mount and wails on ya. everyone is a gigantic son of a farmer wrestler 6 feet of muscle. the most important thing i learned in BJJ is how to escape the mount/side control. seriously im so glad the submission were taken out of collegiate wrestling otherwise bjj would be a freakin necessity to even walk in a bar here. Im not scared or boxing someone or muay thai here. Im worried about the freakin wrestlers. Actually I found out Dan Gable lives 2 towns over.

I thought you lived in Hebron:5question

Anyway, Martial Arts work as self-defense because it teaches you haw to walk with your head on a swivel and your chest out. The longer you practice, the less of a target you will appear to be. It's also a good idea to learn to shoot a firearm and work on your sprint times/parkour training if you believe that you live in a place so dangerous that you will need to be an expert in mixed martial arts in order to survive a walk to your postbox to check the mail. Mind you, most people in war torn countries such as Somalia don't feel this way, but whatever floats your boat.

Martial Arts remains in my opinion a largely esoteric practice. Some basic fighting skills will always come in handy in a clutch situation where you need to buy some time to run and wait for backup (911). Choking, throwing, sweeping, punching, and kicking come to mind. But nothing flashy or fancy is necessary IMO. Just overall conditioning and awareness will save you 99.9% of the time. For the other 0.01% you need an ar-15 semiautomatic rifle and lots of ammo. And lots of friends with ar-15's, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 12:22pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
    I thought you lived in Hebron:5question

Anyway, Martial Arts work as self-defense because it teaches you haw to walk with your head on a swivel and your chest out. The longer you practice, the less of a target you will appear to be. It's also a good idea to learn to shoot a firearm and work on your sprint times/parkour training if you believe that you live in a place so dangerous that you will need to be an expert in mixed martial arts in order to survive a walk to your postbox to check the mail. Mind you, most people in war torn countries such as Somalia don't feel this way, but whatever floats your boat.

Martial Arts remains in my opinion a largely esoteric practice. Some basic fighting skills will always come in handy in a clutch situation where you need to buy some time to run and wait for backup (911). Choking, throwing, sweeping, punching, and kicking come to mind. But nothing flashy or fancy is necessary IMO. Just overall conditioning and awareness will save you 99.9% of the time. For the other 0.01% you need an ar-15 semiautomatic rifle and lots of ammo. And lots of friends with ar-15's, etc.
    its hard to explain, but I work in Iowa and send money home to hebron. I work in the kosher industry, and it is common for someone to live in Israel , and work abroad, especially for my area of expertise which is kosher meat. hopefully i will be in school in tel aviv this coming semester, and relocate there, or leave israel all together and apply for schools in the USA. Actually where I work, most of the Rabbis either fly in from NYC or come in from Israel and board here.

EDIT: Last night I actually painted a really dark picture of Hebron. Maybe 1 out of 50 times something happens , and it is hardly ever as extreme as beheading. Mass attacks are common, though. 9 out of 10 attacks involve more than two people by my estimation. It is a reality for us, people do end up seriously injured often worse, and I take that to heart.
    Last edited by fights4peace; 6/21/2010 12:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:23pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably take up MT first. Looks more fun (subjective, I know) and I can get home earlier.

It looks like you've pretty much figured out what you're going to do, but I just wanted to add in my two cents. You probably aren't going to learn to sprawl much better in BJJ than you did in Judo. It's important, but it actually doesn't take very long to train. If you have a friend who knows how to wrestle, does BJJ or Judo, just have him practice shooting in on you. Basically I'm saying you don't need to choose a style based on learning how to sprawl adequately. Also, if you have a fundamental understanding of groundwork from Judo, you probably made the right choice in picking Muay Thai.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:36pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    It looks like you've pretty much figured out what you're going to do, but I just wanted to add in my two cents. You probably aren't going to learn to sprawl much better in BJJ than you did in Judo. It's important, but it actually doesn't take very long to train. If you have a friend who knows how to wrestle, does BJJ or Judo, just have him practice shooting in on you. Basically I'm saying you don't need to choose a style based on learning how to sprawl adequately. Also, if you have a fundamental understanding of groundwork from Judo, you probably made the right choice in picking Muay Thai.
    I have never explicit instruction on sprawling in any Judo class or video.

It was one of the first things I learned in BJJ.

Also, training Judo does not guarantee a fundamental understanding of groundwork. I know shodans who think the best thing to do in groundwork when in any trouble is to turn to your belly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 7:04pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation View Post
    I have never explicit instruction on sprawling in any Judo class or video.

It was one of the first things I learned in BJJ.

Also, training Judo does not guarantee a fundamental understanding of groundwork. I know shodans who think the best thing to do in groundwork when in any trouble is to turn to your belly.
    Oh I know it doesn't. I was just saying that if he had that understanding, then no use doing BJJ if he could do Muay Thai, because if that were the case, starting BJJ mainly because they'll teach you sprawling would be a bad idea. And you won't necessarily learn it their either. So far I've only had to sprawl a handful of times in BJJ training (because we rarely start standing up). Luckily I have some friends who are wrestlers that like to roll on the weekends, which is where I learned how to sprawl.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I know it doesn't. I was just saying that if he had that understanding, then no use doing BJJ if he could do Muay Thai, because if that were the case, starting BJJ mainly because they'll teach you sprawling would be a bad idea. And you won't necessarily learn it their either. So far I've only had to sprawl a handful of times in BJJ training (because we rarely start standing up). Luckily I have some friends who are wrestlers that like to roll on the weekends, which is where I learned how to sprawl.
    Yeah, that's something that I noticed. In BJJ classes the training almost always starts from the ground & consists of maintaining guard & subs from guard, or sweeping from guard or passing guard and getting mount or side control and subs from these. I've rarely done stand up in BJJ and the vast majority of my betters in BJJ practice either pulling someone from standing into guard or try for single legs & other wrestling takedowns. I've never been properly thrown in BJJ. This showed me that my BJJ training was much more keyed towards BJJ competition than BJJ self defense, otherwise I would have learned proper sprawling, strike defenses, throws & takedowns. I'm learning more material practical for self defense in my Judo class.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 11:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting. Personally I use the sprawl quite a bit in rolling. I use alot of wrestling in general in my style but for my side control positions I always use sprawling and low lips to keep weight on the person. A hip hiest and sprawl mixed with having a good ability to fight for the corner will yeild a reversal quite a few times.

A sprawl will also cancel quite a few sweeps from inside the guard and the abiltiy to keep maximum pressure into the opponent when facing them helps a 10 finger and a good transition to the back from a guillotine or head snap.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 11:15pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    That's interesting. Personally I use the sprawl quite a bit in rolling. I use alot of wrestling in general in my style but for my side control positions I always use sprawling and low lips to keep weight on the person. A hip hiest and sprawl mixed with having a good ability to fight for the corner will yeild a reversal quite a few times.

A sprawl will also cancel quite a few sweeps from inside the guard and the abiltiy to keep maximum pressure into the opponent when facing them helps a 10 finger and a good transition to the back from a guillotine or head snap.
    You're talking about keeping low, active hips.

That's not exactly the same thing as a sprawl. That refers specifically to the act of dropping your hips, while ideally obtaining upper body control, on a person shooting in on you.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast