Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:25am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    I know what to expect from MT, but they said they don't spar full contact, just light contact and a lot of bag/pad work. Is this correct?
    That sounds fine if you're starting out but ask if the contact increases as you progress and if they get involved in interclubs/smokers. Also ask if they produce any fighters as well, that's a good way to see how the club works at it's best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 6:31am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're here in the Philz? Come to us at KMA (Kamphuis-Fabricio BJJ). BJJ on MWF, MT on TTh and MMA on Saturdays here at the Wack Wack Gym. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: Did I mention that fees are flexible? Ex. you can actually pay for 8 sessions in BJJ, but attend the MMA class using one of those. Better talk to our coach.
    Last edited by CarlosJesena; 6/20/2010 6:35am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 6:44am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ......... I'm PMing Carlos.

@Kovac: Well, I know they compete. But is full/hard contact necessary for a non-pro MT practitioner?

I'm under the notion that power = pad work and play sparring = skill.
    Play sparring so that people don't get injured much cuz... well. You stop training when you're injured.
    Last edited by iopyud; 6/20/2010 6:53am at .

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:06am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Full contact" means you're actively trying to knock the other person out, as you would in a fight. Almost no gyms spar full contact...I mean, unless you're talking about Chute Boxe, at least.

Also keep in mind that the idea of "light contact" is relative depending on the coach. For instance, when we aren't getting ready for a fight, my coach will have us do what he calls "pitty-pat" sparring, i.e., fairly light contact. But you'll still go home with a bloody nose or a black eye if you get stupid, which is how it should be. Just because you're not trying to KO the other guy doesn't mean you don't punish their mistakes to show them where the holes in their game are. Which is how it should be. Someone with no standup experience(that'd be you) needs to work their way up to harder contact. You don't pin a new guy in the corner and knee him until he's peeing blood on his first day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Sigma. Very informative.

They start out with the basic form and work up to pad work, if you're OK I think they let you do some "pitty pat" sparring.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

@Kovac: Well, I know they compete. But is full/hard contact necessary for a non-pro MT practitioner?

Play sparring so that people don't get injured much cuz... well. You stop training when you're injured.
    Sorry for the double post, but just to address this...

In my gym, medium/hard contact is for fight preparation, regardless of whether it's pro or amateur. My coach subscribes to the "bleed in the gym so you don't bleed in the ring " idea. I'm pretty sure most coaches do. But you can't go that hard all the time.

Also, bag work is for power, pad work is for skill. Sparring is where you learn how to put it together while someone is trying to punch you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:18am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Neo Sigmas covered it but yeah, no ones going to bananas when you start out and you don't have to spar hard if you don't want to but generally speaking the harder you go the more you're testing yourself and what you've learned.

Like all things, take it easy to start with and ramp things up as you get better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds great and fun. I was under the notion that MT dudes break each others faces with elbows 5 sessions a week and consume the essence of their defeated enemies occasionally spitting out the weaker parts as their meal.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do. But you have to sacrifice three virgins at mid-winter and bathe in their blood before reading the future of your fight career in their entrails before you get to do that, and there's a pretty long line for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 8:21am

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    We do. But you have to sacrifice three virgins at mid-winter and bathe in their blood before reading the future of your fight career in their entrails before you get to do that, and there's a pretty long line for that.
    and you forgot that you had to sex 'em up first
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast