Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:36am

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    KNIFE FIGHTING?!1one
    I always thought it's best to run... or get a chair if you can't.

Arnis isn't big on where I am, it's ironic.
    Most places do repeated scripted drills and call it sparring, they never free spar with rubber gloves, markers and an attacker with intent.

This is the Krav Maga I'll probably get here:
    http://kravmagaphilippines.multiply...._Times_with_MO

They say they're affiliated with IKMF: http://kravmagaphilippines.multiply.com/
    Are they sparring or trying to tickle each other?

No, I'm not taking Jeet Kune Do, Krotty, or TKD.

And I repeat, I can't cross train due to financial reasons.
    it is best to run in a knife attack. unless your cant or yoru with you ederly mother who cant run. ikmf should do real hard sparring. some "krav maga" associations don't because its basically cardio kickboxing. when my buddies trained at wingate they had to spar with full contact. it part of what makes krav maga effective. really are you in the philipines? try pekiti tersia.
    http://www.ptkgo.com/PTKGO/HOME.html
    its the ****. and its used in PMCMAP. btw why dont ya like JKD its a philosophy more than anything? its not like krotty or tkd!
    Last edited by fights4peace; 6/20/2010 12:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Meh, leg grabbing or no leg grabbing, I don't think someone who does Judo needs to worry about people taking them down in the str33t unless they're deliberately picking fights with the college wrestling team. I dunno, maybe if you live in the midwest it's a worry!
    dude you have no fucking clue. I live in IOWA atm and everyone freakin wrestles. everyone.bar fights always go to the ground, everyone goes for the mount and wails on ya. everyone is a gigantic son of a farmer wrestler 6 feet of muscle. the most important thing i learned in BJJ is how to escape the mount/side control. seriously im so glad the submission were taken out of collegiate wrestling otherwise bjj would be a freakin necessity to even walk in a bar here. Im not scared or boxing someone or muay thai here. Im worried about the freakin wrestlers. Actually I found out Dan Gable lives 2 towns over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:46am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @maofas: OK. I'm leaning on Muay Thai.

@fights4peace: Yeah, it's hard to find Arnis schools here. Most "masters" are teaching abroad. You can only get some private instruction, that means no sparring other than you teacher and a crater on your pocket. This applies to a lot of organization.

There IS a short class on Saturdays on the BJJ/MT gym I'm looking at.

What am I looking at here anyway?
    Here's the site: http://bjjphilippines.com/main/

I know what to expect from MT, but they said they don't spar full contact, just light contact and a lot of bag/pad work. Is this correct?

What about BJJ?
    Are they 90% ground work and 10% lousy take downs or I couldn't be more wrong?

Cuz in Judo's it's 50%/50% the problem is they just don't give off a lot of ground techniques, they just let you work your instincts cuz you get pinned or choked if you don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:50am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to go with BJJ but with your (Neo Sigma) advice. I'm torn again.

Yeah I DO need some striking but I also need some sprawling and better ground work as well.
    Competition-based Judo clubs are damn annoying.

Back to the drawing board.

Let me ask: How do people spar in Boxing? Is it play-sparring like in non-professional Muay Thai?
    I woul probably reccomend BJJ for this reason. Most bjj schools have some form of MMA night or a time where they teach not only striking but striking that is modified for the rules of mma and while you wont reach the same level of striking that pure mauy thai would. You will still be able to sample the basics while improving your wrestling and Ne Waza.

Also most muay thai schools are pure striking. very few pure mauy thai schools do bjj groundwork as that's not thier specialty. However, as someone who does both BJJ and pure mauy thai alongside my other kung fu for striking I think one of the biggest advantage of it is the fact that in a pure striking school it's much better for preparing you to compete in a striking competition. And when/if you transition to mma your striking will be better thana verage having had some ammy exp.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @maofas: OK. I'm leaning on Muay Thai.

@fights4peace: Yeah, it's hard to find Arnis schools here. Most "masters" are teaching abroad. You can only get some private instruction, that means no sparring other than you teacher and a crater on your pocket. This applies to a lot of organization.

There IS a short class on Saturdays on the BJJ/MT gym I'm looking at.

What am I looking at here anyway?
    Here's the site: http://bjjphilippines.com/main/

I know what to expect from MT, but they said they don't spar full contact, just light contact and a lot of bag/pad work. Is this correct?

What about BJJ?
    Are they 90% ground work and 10% lousy take downs or I couldn't be more wrong?

Cuz in Judo's it's 50%/50% the problem is they just don't give off a lot of ground techniques, they just let you work your instincts cuz you get pinned or choked if you don't.
    something to think about http://jkdphilippines.multiply.com/p...Perico_Profile
    muay thai is good bjj is good. if you have a friend or friends dad who knows escrima train with him (aside from the bjj/ muay thai). where are you in the philipines?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @fights4peace: Dude, friend or friend's dad? Are you under the notion that 80% of the Filipino people know Eskrima/Arnis just because this is where it came from?

I'll tell you for the 3rd time: It's not big here.
    And I'll tell you again: I know where that JKD place is and I'm not taking it. They spar like sport Shotokan people.

And stop asking me where I live. God!

@wingchunx2z: Yeah I know BJJ doesn't rule out the MMA application and acknowledges striking and other things to some extent. One of the things I like about BJJ. Sport Judo isn't like that.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** what everyone else said. Take Muay Thai and learn how to sprawl. That and remember not to **** with people with Brazilian accents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @fights4peace: Dude, friend or friend's dad? Are you under the notion that 80% of the Filipino people know Eskrima/Arnis just because this is where it came from?

I'll tell you for the 3rd time: It's not big here.
    And I'll tell you again: I know where that JKD place is and I'm not taking it. They spar like sport Shotokan people.

And stop asking me where I live. God!

@wingchunx2z: Yeah I know BJJ doesn't rule out the MMA application and acknowledges striking and other things to some extent. One of the things I like about BJJ. Sport Judo isn't like that.
    okay. I am under that notion. perhaps its because I learned to box from my dad who was taught by his dad my grandfather etc. so i figure that someone you know must have been taught by his dad, but thats just from my experience. i really dont know how it is in the philipines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kinda bad.

To make it short, the only sport people like here are either basketball or boxing (not do it, just watching it). MMA being nothing more than a "fad".

Arnisadors are mostly either abroad (You guys pay more and show way more enthusiasm) or offering private lessons, private lessons being repetitive drills and no sparring.

Government's not very keen on promoting it either. I mean, they did something recently but nobody still cares.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 3:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd take both of them but it'll kill my funds. So no, can't take them both.

I used to do Judo but I've been going a lot less because the schedule only permits me to go once a week and we don't grab legs anymore. No sprawl lol.

So anyway, my goal is actual self defense, which would be more practical?

We're talking about MT and No-Gi BJJ (That's the schedule I hit).

I'm leaning on BJJ because I'm thinking I could just keep my guard up and get in a clinch-throw to compensate my lack of striking plus I LOVE throws/sweeps, however MT looks fun and simple (punch someone in the face period)... and their class goes first, I can go home earlier. >_>

The only real thing that's keeping me from MT is that I want to learn some sprawling or at least an opportunity to practice that.

So yeah, need opinions. Thanks a lot.
    For Self Defense? Not ring fighting?

BJJ/Judo/Grappling plus this kind of stuff...

YouTube- The Fence - Geoff Thompson - Clip 1

YouTube- Fighting Dirty

YouTube- Die Less Often 3 - The Kali Fence .mov

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt I

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt II

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt III

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt IV

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt V

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt VI

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt VII

YouTube- Fairbairn Seminar Pt VIII

YouTube- Bare knuckle two punch combo

YouTube- combat de rue

YouTube- Defense in street fighting

YouTube- Carl Cestari : Other Strikes

YouTube- Carl Cestari The Rock Crusher

YouTube- Carl Cestari: The O'Neill Cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmudb...os=xDqU2o-sVTY

Oh, & all this stuff too...

YouTube- Combat De Rue
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast