Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 8:53pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uh, guys? I'm torn beween BJJ and MT.

I'd take both of them but it'll kill my funds. So no, can't take them both.

I used to do Judo but I've been going a lot less because the schedule only permits me to go once a week and we don't grab legs anymore. No sprawl lol.

So anyway, my goal is actual self defense, which would be more practical?

We're talking about MT and No-Gi BJJ (That's the schedule I hit).

I'm leaning on BJJ because I'm thinking I could just keep my guard up and get in a clinch-throw to compensate my lack of striking plus I LOVE throws/sweeps, however MT looks fun and simple (punch someone in the face period)... and their class goes first, I can go home earlier. >_>

The only real thing that's keeping me from MT is that I want to learn some sprawling or at least an opportunity to practice that.

So yeah, need opinions. Thanks a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 9:17pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take the BJJ Classes. Try to make friends with someone in the MT class. Offer to hold pads for them after class or on the weekend, he can then hold the pads for you and give you advice.

It would involve you being a little more out-going. If you're new to the school that might be a bit intimidating, but its the way to go.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both of those things are fine for winning a fistfight. Otherwise, don't go to the Dairy Queen in the hood at 2 AM and don't hang out at bars called The Docker's Fist or accept drinks from older gentlemen at Hole in Juan.

There. Your self defense needs are covered.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jits cause choking is more fun than kneeing people.

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 9:33pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm leaning on BJJ because I'm thinking I could just keep my guard up and get in a clinch-throw to compensate my lack of striking
    "Well, I only stop my roundhouse an inch from the target in class, obviously I'd hit full force if I ever got into a fight."

"I don't worry about getting taken down, my striking is too good for anyone to get close enough for that and if they did I'd just elbow them in the neck."

Does this sound familiar? This is your own personal health and well-being you're talking about, don't **** around and assume that you won't get punched, or that you'll somehow have an iron jaw and walk right through the punches you will inevitably take trying to do that. You know you suck at striking. That's good, the first step is admitting you have a problem and all that. But this kind of thinking is a really excellent way to end up spitting your own teeth out on the sidewalk.

If you haven't got a lot of money to burn, find a boxing gym and add that to your BJJ. You're a grappler, so it's probably a safe assumption that you've never been slugged by someone with intent to actually hit you(accidental uppercuts during randori don't count). All your ideas on what you'd do will vanish into thin air the first time someone clocks you if you've never really been hit before. Like Tyson said, everybody's got a plan until they get punched.

But, Don Gwinn put it very nicely in another thread-
    the most basic method of self-defense:
    "Don't go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things."
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 6/19/2010 9:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to go with BJJ but with your (Neo Sigma) advice. I'm torn again.

Yeah I DO need some striking but I also need some sprawling and better ground work as well.
    Competition-based Judo clubs are damn annoying.

Back to the drawing board.

Let me ask: How do people spar in Boxing? Is it play-sparring like in non-professional Muay Thai?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post

Let me ask: How do people spar in Boxing? Is it play-sparring like in non-professional Muay Thai?
    They spar medium to hard contact. It's not a game of tag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 11:15pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    I'd take both of them but it'll kill my funds. So no, can't take them both.

I used to do Judo but I've been going a lot less because the schedule only permits me to go once a week and we don't grab legs anymore. No sprawl lol.

So anyway, my goal is actual self defense, which would be more practical?

We're talking about MT and No-Gi BJJ (That's the schedule I hit).

I'm leaning on BJJ because I'm thinking I could just keep my guard up and get in a clinch-throw to compensate my lack of striking plus I LOVE throws/sweeps, however MT looks fun and simple (punch someone in the face period)... and their class goes first, I can go home earlier. >_>

The only real thing that's keeping me from MT is that I want to learn some sprawling or at least an opportunity to practice that.

So yeah, need opinions. Thanks a lot.
    doing solely BJJ is a bad idea. doing only muay thai is a bad idea. for self defence you need to be proficient in stand up, ground and weapons. Also IMHO it is best to find a system or style that promotes cheating in a fight because you cant wait 10 years before you get a bjj black belt to defend yourself. you also cant use BJJ to defend against a knife, and to paraphrase one of the Machado bros " Hit a black belt in the face once, he becomes a brown belt. Hit him twice he becomes a purple belt." there is a reason why people found mixing martial art the best: you can't be good at only one thing and defend yourself from everything. Check out some legitimate krav maga schools( ones that are affiliated with the IKMA) or a JKD school from the Inosanto "lineage" because they cross train like all hell, and it is likely that the instructor there also has rank in Muay Thai and BJJ as well as knife related arts like FMA or silat. If you dont mind me asking, where do you live?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KNIFE FIGHTING?!1one
    I always thought it's best to run... or get a chair if you can't.

Arnis isn't big on where I am, it's ironic.
    Most places do repeated scripted drills and call it sparring, they never free spar with rubber gloves, markers and an attacker with intent.

This is the Krav Maga I'll probably get here:
    http://kravmagaphilippines.multiply...._Times_with_MO

They say they're affiliated with IKMF: http://kravmagaphilippines.multiply.com/
    Are they sparring or trying to tickle each other?

No, I'm not taking Jeet Kune Do, Krotty, or TKD.

And I repeat, I can't cross train due to financial reasons.
    Last edited by iopyud; 6/20/2010 12:22am at .

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, leg grabbing or no leg grabbing, I don't think someone who does Judo needs to worry about people taking them down in the str33t unless they're deliberately picking fights with the college wrestling team.

In a bubble, I think MT > BJJ for SD if you can only do one. 3/4 ranges covered versus 1 (maaaybe 2). That being said, try both classes, do the one you enjoy more, because you'll be more likely to stick with it for the long haul and get good.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/20/2010 12:40am at .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast