Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:45pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see what you're saying, but I disagree with it. I'm not one for buying a knife for one use only. I want a knife that I can use for every day cutting tasks primarily, but that will also serve well if I ever need to use it in a defensive role of some sort. Every knife I buy is going to be made with materials I find suitable for all around use. Also, I think you may be underestimating the utility of a Push Dagger. Cold Steel specifically advertised the Urban Pal Push Dagger as a utility knife for EDC use, and that's exactly what I bought mine for and I can attest first hand to its versatility. My only complaints are that it doesn't come in a less serrated form and it's an AUS8 blade.

Also, for reference, most classify 154CM as a stainless. In my experience, it retains an edge as well as S30V, but doesn't take as sharp an edge.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, so stabbing someone who is trying to man handle you is a new technique?

Son, I think someone is trying to take you for a ride...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:59am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knife is cute, probably effective but overpriced. If you have to deal with a LEO in California it could be a felony charge , depending on your prior record and the circumstances of the arrest. The knife would fall under the definition of "Dangerous weapon" ( Dirk or Dagger) insomuch as it is a fixed blade with the the uppper edge sharpened and would be hard to explain why you had it concealed. Rule of Thumb: Never carry what you can't explain away.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any small fixed blade or boot knife would do the job as well wouldnt it. I think it was Kershaw that does a cheap SD knife that is supposed to be for carry in the same spot.
    I will have a look.

I think we should we also look at kneck knives for the suprise factor as well.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:09pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what if the grapplers start buying this knife too?

Seriously, this marketing slant is BS. Whenever I've grappled someone in a combative setting, it was because they were being a jackass and I wanted to chill them the **** out without really hurting them. Otherwise I would have just clocked them or thrown them on their heads. It seems like this marketing ploy is solely aimed at enabling assholes with bad attitudes. (who can't grapple).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 12:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the marketing slant is bullshit, it has just been misrepresented here. Read the product description on the ACTUAL Shivworks site:

http://www.shivworks.com/clinchpick.asp

Nowhere in there does the author say that this blade is intended to "counter grapplers", or a miracle cure to a grappling encounter. The blade was designed to facilitate a quicker, more efficient draw when someone has you in a clinch (hence the name), or you have restricted mobility. Ask most knife guys on this forum who have played with deploying knife in a clinch and they'll tell you it is NOT easy, especially against a trained grappler. Yes, the demonstration pictures are for ****; but, that does not mean the product or the system are totally without merit if you play around with it.

If you want to call bullshit on this knife, or the guy who made it, because you disagree with the construction materials/price/etc. then have a ball. But don't get your fucking panties in a bunch over someone saying this blade is "bad news 4 grapplers" when the guy that made it never said it was intended to be.

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call bullshit on the knife because it is too damm expensive.
    any columbia river neck knife or small fixed blade will do exatly the same amount of stabbing for about $20

Can I have my ball now?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post

Can I have my ball now?
    As soon as I figure out where the /giveball function is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    What I really want to point out is that the demonstration of this knife is just as unrealistic as every anti-grappling technique William Cheung has ever dreamed up. As far as I can tell it seems to be a defense against a noogie.
    The use of this knife is heavily promoted by Southnarc of Shivworks. He is a purple belt in bjj and a wrestling practicioner.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123